We need to be forming alliances

meangreen11

This whole situation is a mess and it is because the AAC, CUSA and MWC have no control over what the Big 12 does or does not do.  So, in the meantime, we should be forming block alliances with the best schools in C-USA with the intent to work together and navigate this as a team.  For instance, in CUSA would like to align with Rice, UTSA, and La Tech, maybe Southern Miss.   I would also be interested in forming an alliance with Texas State, and Tulsa/Tulane.  I am probably missing some schools but you get the picture.  I know some will say we have no loyalty to one another and that is true.  The reality is geography is important to our institutions for financial and attendance and so much more.  Our band will never travel to another road game in the Mountain west.  That means something to me.  Tulsa does not have the budget to fly their teams across both coasts.  They just don't especially in a post covid environment.   Even if the alliance is informal, we need to decide which schools we want to be a part of and start communicating and working together. If we don't we will all become slaves to an east coast TV company that could give 2 shits about our university.

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, meangreen11 said:

This whole situation is a mess and it is because the AAC, CUSA and MWC have no control over what the Big 12 does or does not do.  So, in the meantime, we should be forming block alliances with the best schools in C-USA with the intent to work together and navigate this as a team.  For instance, in CUSA would like to align with Rice, UTSA, and La Tech, maybe Southern Miss.   I would also be interested in forming an alliance with Texas State, and Tulsa/Tulane.  I am probably missing some schools but you get the picture.  I know some will say we have no loyalty to one another and that is true.  The reality is geography is important to our institutions for financial and attendance and so much more.  Our band will never travel to another road game in the Mountain west.  That means something to me.  Tulsa does not have the budget to fly their teams across both coasts.  They just don't especially in a post covid environment.   Even if the alliance is informal, we need to decide which schools we want to be a part of and start communicating and working together. If we don't we will all become slaves to an east coast TV company that could give 2 shits about our university.

I like your thinking.

• Upvote 1

I trust Wren Baker is working his contacts.  He worked with one in the past that could be beneficial.

Michael L. Aresco, Commissioner of the American Athletic Conference: "This is a spectacular hire. Having known and worked with Wren while he was at Memphis, he is an extremely experienced, personable and capable executive and will do a great job for North Texas. The college sports landscape has never been more challenging, and Wren's intelligence and vision will be enormously important to North Texas and Conference USA."

• Upvote 1

I am sure Baker is doing everything he can to prepare NT for the coming reorganizations.  I really don't think allegiances with other bottom tier teams is going to do much.  

First, they are not enforceable.  What would happen if any random group of G5 schools forged an alliance and one was unexpectedly offered a conference upgrade, they would  be gone as quickly as possible. 

I guess the alliance could be made legally binding, but what school including NT would want to eliminate a chance to go for example to the reconstructed B12.

Second, NT does not want to be aligned with other Belt or CUSA teams.   What would be gained, other than having a guaranteed place in a bottom conference.   The schools that have the most in common with NT are TTech, UH, and probably UTSA.  UH and Tech fans would revolt if that was even brought up.   NT and UTSA would have nothing to gain and possibly could lose opportunities. 

• Upvote 3

52 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Second, NT does not want to be aligned with other Belt or CUSA teams.   What would be gained, other than having a guaranteed place in a bottom conference.   The schools that have the most in common with NT are TTech, UH, and probably UTSA.  UH and Tech fans would revolt if that was even brought up.   NT and UTSA would have nothing to gain and possibly could lose opportunities. 

austin-powers-gold-member.gif

• Upvote 1