What's the process?

Hunter Green

When a majority of the university Presidents are convinced a conference commissioner is needs replacing, they are very quickly. Bowlsby is hated by Big XII fans but no school is seriously talking of dumping him. Karl Benson was hated by fans of the WAC and the Sunbelt, but he still managed to retire without at least appearing to have been forced out. The PAC-12 Presidents lost confidence in Larry Scott last fall and it was announced he was leaving last January. BTW, the new Pac-12 commissioner has very little sports experience and a TON of media background! 

12 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

As much as we complain and as fans see CUSA falling, these presidents will not get rid of Judy for all of the wrong reasons.

If what you say is true and I don’t doubt you then Dr. Smatresk needs to move on to the next phase of his life.  He has served his purpose here.  It is high time for a new more aggressive leader who is not satisfied with the status quo.  

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 5

43 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

As much as we complain and as fans see CUSA falling, these presidents will not get rid of Judy for all of the wrong reasons.

In what way is CUSA failing? Because we aren’t the top G5 football conference? Seems like we have been to a bowl game 4 of the last 5 years without winning our conference and twice we even had a losing record. CUSA isn’t the problem there, North Texas football is the problem.

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 2

34 minutes ago, Tom McKrackin said:

If what you say is true and I don’t doubt you then Dr. Smatresk needs to move on to the next phase of his life.  He has served his purpose here.  It is high time for a new more aggressive leader who is not satisfied with the status quo.  

First of all, you need at least eight Presidents to remove Judy. Changing Smatresk does nothing to get an additional seven. Second and more importantly, the BOR is NOT going to change University Presidents over a conference commissioner. Maybe conferences commissioner and a dozen additional, non-sports issues; but not the possibility of a chance of changing over a conference commissioner. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

31 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

In what way is CUSA failing? Because we aren’t the top G5 football conference? Seems like we have been to a bowl game 4 of the last 5 years without winning our conference and twice we even had a losing record. CUSA isn’t the problem there, North Texas football is the problem.

I'm not sure that I'd stand out on that "CUSA isn't failing" limb...the conference is viewed easily as the worst in FBS and we think its great to get conference games on Facebook. If we have ever had a ranked team in CUSA since we joined, I don't remember it. But I do know that the Sun Belt has had three teams get ranked in the last few seasons, including Coastal Carolina right now, as well as Louisiana and Appy State. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, untjim1995 said:

I'm not sure that I'd stand out on that "CUSA isn't failing" limb...the conference is viewed easily as the worst in FBS and we think its great to get conference games on Facebook. If we have ever had a ranked team in CUSA since we joined, I don't remember it. But I do know that the Sun Belt has had three teams get ranked in the last few seasons, including Coastal Carolina right now, as well as Louisiana and Appy State. 

Your point obviously stands. I want to say Marshall made it into the top 25 at some point though.  

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Steve Brule GIF by MOODMAN

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Season 4 Wow GIF by The Office

• Upvote 1

We're constantly hearing "sources" leaking information from the MWC and AAC about schools they're targeting or "in talks with".   
Have we heard anything like this from Judy & C-USA leadership?   I don't think I've seen anything like this.
The only thing anyone has posted around here was a leak regarding a warning issued to C-USA schools about buyout dollars owed if a school were to leave the conference... a threat to existing members.

• Upvote 4

32 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

We're constantly hearing "sources" leaking information from the MWC and AAC about schools they're targeting or "in talks with".   
Have we heard anything like this from Judy & C-USA leadership?   I don't think I've seen anything like this.
The only thing anyone has posted around here was a leak regarding a warning issued to C-USA schools about buyout dollars owed if a school were to leave the conference... a threat to existing members.

It took Judy and CUSA several weeks after the Texas OU stuff to say something, that would end up meaning absolutely NOTHING.

I doubt we see anything until at least mid October, at that

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

That is a football problem, not a conference problem. Outside of a few teams leaving after year 1, this is the same “better” conference we voluntarily joined in 2013. The Sun Belt replaced a few of us who left with better teams. You have to understand that any time an opening happens in a “better” conference, it is because a “better” team left. The new Big 12 is a shell of what the original Big 12 was. UH may be in but the prestige of that conference pails in comparison to what it once was. They could end up like the old Big East/now AAC where they lose their P5 status. Boise was going to join the Big East as football only to have p5 status but once that status for the big East faltered, they immediately returned to the MWC without ever playing a game in the Big East. Our member schools need to improve their quality of  football. That is the bottom line. We could move to the Belt, AAC, MWC, or Big12 and it wouldn’t make a damn bit of difference unless we improve the quality of the product on the field. That doesn’t happen simply by joining a tougher conference. It has been shown to happen when you join a conference of FCS schools and FBS bottom-feeders though.

2 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

The best thing that will not happen - After the AAC and MWC do whatever they do, CUSA and the Belt should merge/align in some way were they have a East/West or North/South footprint.

This makes good sense. Consolidating to maximize power and influence, I like it.

Edited by Cr1028

1 minute ago, Cr1028 said:

This makes good sense. Consolidating to maximize power and influence, I like it.

When this all works it's way out, CUSA, Belt, and MAC need to figure out how to make it work and get over any existing issues.  The thing I have hope for is Wren has been doing a great job with a lower budget than many and at this point it's hard to imagine our TV deal getting any worse.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

Guess revenue negotiated by CUSA for its members doesn't count...

• Upvote 1