2 schools close to leaving MWC for AAC; Boise State ‘waiting and hoping’ for Big 12 invite

Harry

Less than two weeks ago, CBS Sports’ Dennis Dodd reported that the American Athletic Conference was trying to court four Mountain West Conference schools as potential replacements for the three AAC schools that left for the Big 12 Conference at the beginning of the month.

Now, multiple reports indicate that two of those schools are indeed well on their way to joining the AAC.

On Tuesday, Action Network’s Brett McMurphy first reported that Colorado State and Air Force could move to the AAC as early as next week, and Dodd’s CBS colleague Matt Norlander later confirmed that the two schools are in fact “heavily involved” in talks to leave the MWC for the AAC, although it’s “not across the line yet.”

Norlander also indicated that the AAC likely wants to add even more schools than just those two.

link: https://www.deseret.com/2021/9/28/22698868/reports-2-schools-close-to-leaving-mwc-for-aac-boise-state-waiting-and-hoping-for-big-12-invite

1 hour ago, Hunter Green said:

So here we are, sucking hind tit again with not a mention of being on anyone's radar. And why would we be? We suck.

People in the MWC have mentioned us as filling out empty spots. We also are in the short list for AAC. We're on all the radars. Quit being so down. 

• Upvote 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 2

17 minutes ago, Mean Green Matt said:

Somehow we end up with the same results as UL Monroe no matter how much money we throw at it. 

Yup. Go basketball route with resources and support. It's far and away easier to be competitive in basketball than football. 

Then go flexbone in football in a way where we're known as it much like the academies are known for it. Then it turns into a machine, offensively, regardless of what coach comes and goes. We only hire coaches from the flexbone tree. 

19 minutes ago, Hunter Green said:

Which just reinforces that not only is Littrell overpaid and under qualified,  so is Wren Baker and Judy McCloud for allowing this to happen. It's all been smoke and mirrors.

Well, yeah. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 5

22 minutes ago, denton_days said:

The articles you posted require a subscription to finish, but I didn't see our name anywhere. Your claim is only speculation.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 5

3 minutes ago, meangreen10 said:

Not to be the pessimist BUT.. while we’re in limbo (in many ways), two start up programs in UAB and UTSA are bound for bids in the AAC. Plus Texas A&M commerce, the essential community college is making a move up to D1. Why, with all our history, are we floundering?

Well our own alumni not giving a hoot about the school is a pretty good start to a floundering existence. Why would anyone else take us seriously when our own people don’t? 

• Upvote 5
  • RV 1
  • Downvote 2

8 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Yup. Go basketball route with resources and support. It's far and away easier to be competitive in basketball than football. 

Al Hurley already tried that.   If that isn't working for Kansas or Gonzaga i'm not sure how it leads us to the promised land.  Also we're in Texas.

6 minutes ago, Hunter Green said:

The articles you posted require a subscription to finish, but I didn't see our name anywhere. Your claim is only speculation.

Well...

Mountain West ADs met Monday to discuss various situations and contingency plans in the event it loses teams. Those discussions include the value of staying together, potential conference additions or even staying at 10 football-playing schools should two leave. The league’s presidents are also scheduled to meet Thursday.

Some people in the MWC have pointed to North Texas, Rice and UTSA as potential additions if the conference wants to reach into Texas, while also pointing to North Dakota State if on-field football success is more important.

North Texas: Again, does the AAC want a bigger presence in Texas? UNT has the second-highest budget in C-USA, and it pays Seth Littrell the highest salary in the conference ($1.85 million). Its facilities are superb, and a new indoor football facility just opened. For whatever reason, it hasn’t fully clicked on the field, as UNT has just three winning seasons since 2005.

21 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

Al Hurley already tried that.   If that isn't working for Kansas or Gonzaga i'm not sure how it leads us to the promised land.  Also we're in Texas.

Man, Gonzaga and Kansas look fine to me…their hoops are national brands and they make a ton of cash from that sport’s success.

Being a basketball focused school In Texas would actually set yourself apart from the rest of the football is king mentality. Look at Wichita State—they made it to the AAC because of their basketball program. No football but also have a good baseball reputation. If you can’t do football well—and we have not for the better part of 50 years, minus a few seasons—maybe, just maybe this would make more sense. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

Man, Gonzaga and Kansas look fine to me…their hoops are national brands and they make a ton of cash from that sport’s success.

Being a basketball focused school In Texas would actually set yourself apart from the rest of the football is king mentality. Look at Wichita State—they made it to the AAC because of their basketball program. No football but also have a good baseball reputation. If you can’t do football well—and we have not for the better part of 50 years, minus a few seasons—maybe, just maybe this would make more sense. 

Question: what makes anyone think we can actually get “that” good at basketball?

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, untjim1995 said:

This is the football forum.  Kansas is getting left behind, Gonzaga doesn't have a team at any level.  

We're in Texas, if it's not football success then our alumni, the media, etc aren't really going to care.  

We don't need to pick basketball over football.   ALL our athletic programs almost died when we moved to 1-AA.  Football has to be funded, this is Texas.

38 minutes ago, Hunter Green said:

Yeah it's all speculation - we're getting speculation to join a better conference. You claimed that we were on no one's radar. People within the MWC system said we were on their radar, but yes. It's just speculation. And our names are on both of those articles, I didn't realize you needed a paid subscription. I have one, so I can read all about how we are on MWC's radar.

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

This is the football forum.  Kansas is getting left behind, Gonzaga doesn't have a team at any level.  

We're in Texas, if it's not football success then our alumni, the media, etc aren't really going to care.  

We don't need to pick basketball over football.   ALL our athletic programs almost died when we moved to 1-AA.  Football has to be funded, this is Texas.

Kansas will be fine. They’ll get their spot in a real Power Conference when the next round of shuffling happens. Read any Big XII board—they know it. They suck ass in football. But they are a giant in hoops, an AAU school for academics and research, and they bring a conference the KC market. And, most importantly, they have a ton of fans that monetarily support that school’s entire athletic department.

Gonzaga, Villanova, Creighton, Wichita State, and so many others show us that you can make a lot of money and bring a lot of prestige to your university because of your basketball program being great. 

It’s remarkable that people buy into that stupid logic of “This is Texas”. Our college football teams generally suck compared to the bigger names in their conferences. Texas has one national championship in football since the Tet Offensive. A&M just finished 4th—their best ranking since before WW II—while playing 3 winning teams last year. Tech has one season, 2008, where they made national noise—then fired their coach and fell back to being nothing. Baylor and TCU have had some great seasons, but they were built on athletes that tormented the women on campus or played in a conference that they were way above, as TCU was in the MWC. SMU is decent now because they can buy players thru the portal. And UH has had success where they finished in the top 10, then lost their coach as soon as they start winning (see Briles, Sumlin, Herman). UTSA, UNT, UTEP, Texas State, and Rice are usually just bad, although UTSA is looking to breakout like we tried to do in 2017-2018.

I’m not in favor of giving up on football—we give kids a scholarship To better their lives thru a degree from a good university. But I’ve always advocated for basketball here to get more attention than it has…because we have an awesome facility in the Super Pit that can be loud when it’s got a decent crowd. And it’s a sport that you can make a huge run in towards an actual national championship, unlike G5 football. As Grant McCasland has shown, a really good coach can get us some major attention that football has rarely given us, just by winning a game in the NCAA Tournament, as compared to winning some bowl game against other G5s that few people care about.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 3

2 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

Kansas will be fine. They’ll get their spot in a real Power Conference when the next round of shuffling happens. Read any Big XII board—they know it. They suck ass in football. But they are a giant in hoops, an AAU school for academics and research, and they bring a conference the KC market. And, most importantly, they have a ton of fans that monetarily support that school’s entire athletic department.

Gonzaga, Villanova, Creighton, Wichita State, and so many others show us that you can make a lot of money and bring a lot of prestige to your university because of your basketball program being great. 

It’s remarkable that people buy into that stupid logic of “This is Texas”. Our college football teams generally suck compared to the bigger names in their conferences. Texas has one national championship in football since the Tet Offensive. A&M just finished 4th—their best ranking since before WW II—while playing 3 winning teams last year. Tech has one season, 2008, where they made national noise—then fired their coach and fell back to being nothing. Baylor and TCU have had some great seasons, but they were built on athletes that tormented the women on campus or played in a conference that they were way above, as TCU was in the MWC. SMU is decent now because they can buy players thru the portal. And UH has had success where they finished in the top 10, then lost their coach as soon as they start winning (see Briles, Sumlin, Herman). UTSA, UNT, UTEP, Texas State, and Rice are usually just bad, although UTSA is looking to breakout like we tried to do in 2017-2018.

I’m not in favor of giving up on football—we give kids a scholarship To better their lives thru a degree from a good university. But I’ve always advocated for basketball here to get more attention than it has…because we have an awesome facility in the Super Pit that can be loud when it’s got a decent crowd. And it’s a sport that you can make a huge run in towards an actual national championship, unlike G5 football. As Grant McCasland has shown, a really good coach can get us some major attention that football has rarely given us, just by winning a game in the NCAA Tournament, as compared to winning some bowl game against other G5s that few people care about.

Bingo

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

19 minutes ago, denton_days said:

Yeah it's all speculation - we're getting speculation to join a better conference. You claimed that we were on no one's radar. People within the MWC system said we were on their radar, but yes. It's just speculation. And our names are on both of those articles, I didn't realize you needed a paid subscription. I have one, so I can read all about how we are on MWC's radar.

I pray you're right.

• Upvote 1