When Did The Wheels Fall Off???

Hookset

Seems to me that the coaching staff and development of players started going downhill when Littrell and his agent made a very public interview with Kansas State. 
I think quality assistant coaches started passing up trying to come here to coach. 
Which kinda makes sense if the head coach leaves, you could be looking for a new job.

Sometimes stability is a strong selling point for an applicant.

I do think Littrell’s desire to use UNT as a stepping stone to a “better job” truly hurt his position here and is likely beyond repair.

Any thoughts???

• Upvote 6
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

25 minutes ago, Hookset said:

Seems to me that the coaching staff and development of players started going downhill when Littrell and his agent made a very public interview with Kansas State. 
I think quality assistant coaches started passing up trying to come here to coach. 
Which kinda makes sense if the head coach leaves, you could be looking for a new job.

I do think Littrell’s desire to use UNT as a stepping stone to a “better job” truly hurt his position here and is likely beyond repair.

Any thoughts???

Assistants leave for better jobs or get fired, very few remain tied to a particular coach.  Good assistants may not want to come to NT now, but it is because it is a losing program.  

I just don't get how Littrell wanting a P5 job has any bearing on anything, other than getting him a big pay raise. 

Littrell is doing everything he can do within the rules to win, there is no reason for him to do anything else.  He knows he is risking not being here next year if he doesn't finish strong.  

If Littrell was winning, we would be lamenting that NT will probably lose him.  

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 3

1 hour ago, Hookset said:

Any thoughts???

If you are a trusted/valuable assistant that has helped him be successful and get that better, higher paying gig, isn’t there is a good chance you go with him?  Or you may be in line to take over that head coaching position if he does leave. These would be incentives for an assistant to seek out these opportunities if it looks like the head coach is on the way up, right? 

6 minutes ago, keith said:

If you are a trusted/valuable assistant that has helped him be successful and get that better, higher paying gig, isn’t there is a good chance you go with him?  Or you may be in line to take over that head coaching position if he does leave. These would be incentives for an assistant to seek out these opportunities if it looks like the head coach is on the way up, right? 

I doubt that happens that way very often. I have no facts to back that up though…

I think the air started coming out of SL’s balloon almost immediately after he turned down the former Big 12 (with UT & OU in it) KSU job.  I think he went into a funk after that & may have waited to late to get out of it.  I wonder if we were in his shoes how many of us would have acted or done different?  

I’ve liked Seth from the git-go & (like some of you) pulled for him.  He may win 5 this season, but in year 6 the losses to UAB & La Tech I think will weigh heavily against him having a future here. If he were fired, I think he will still land on both feet with his future in coaching.  

🦅

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

There are many answers here:

1.) When we lost Hayden Fry AND his assistants 

2.) When we dropped down to 1-AA and nuked the fanbase.

3.) When we decided to move up to I-A because we could make more money whoring out the program to pay the athletic program’s bills.

4.) When we hired a HS coach and let him bring over all of his HS assistants 

5.) When we suffered the worst loss in modern college football history by 59 points on Homecoming to FCS spare while the entire team quit on the university that gave them scholarships and playing time.

6.) After beating Arkansas, the LT debacle at home AND the collapses at ODU and UAB. Cost us any chance of winning our division, much less the conference. And it gave Bill Clark at UAB all his mojo to keep dominating this league.

7.) KSU offering Littell the job if he kept some of the staff already there. Once it became clear that he wouldn’t leave because of that, UNT got played by the best coaches’ agent in the country to give him a longer extension and raise that we couldn’t afford to buyout. And it killed the buy-in from the other staff and players, as they knew SL would be gone ASAP.

8.)Losing Graham Harrell and watching Mason Fine get driven into the turf by physical teams that crushed our OL. He’s been the best QB in these parts since Mitch Maher and we completely blew his Senior year. 

9.) Replacing Fine with QBs that aren’t good. Bean, Aune, and Ruder are not good FBS QBs—at all.

There you go…all the issues since 1979.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

There are many answers here:

In the post Fry era we might not have had a better opportunity than this. We had national attention and flat out got embarrassed. 

In hindsight, you can add the fact that it seems Seth came in with no plan to put a good Defense on the field. Seems like he thought he could outscore his way to success

Edited by El Paso Eagle

12 hours ago, Glory to the Green said:

Yeah, I didn’t realize just how good GH was for Fine and for the 1st half offensive fireworks. Replacing GH with the Eastern Washington coach was rough. 

Bodie Reeder was really the best option for an OC at the time? There was no other Mike Leach or Bob Stoops disciple that would have known how to keep Mason Fine being Mason Fine? 

2 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

While it didn’t work out in the win column, hiring Todd Dodge was definitely a risk worth taking for us at that time. He brought national attention, great connections to the Texas high school coaches, and increased fundraising. The downfall was having an AD  so incompetent and unknowledgeable about football that he allowed us to hire a DC straight from high school (with no college coaching experience) and throw him up against the University of Oklahoma. Overall, despite the win/loss record, I’m glad we hired ol’ Todge because I don’t see RV getting Apogee built without him.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 3

5 hours ago, greenminer said:

My world has ended several times, and the wheels fall off all the time for UNT football.

I woke up the next morning.  The world was still there, and UNT football was preparing for the next game.

🏆 Post of the Month!👏👏

🚨We need not stop showing up at Apogee to prove some kind of a point, though, because that could effect a future conference home that would be better than our present situation &....sadly, bad attendance would be on us—UNT Alums & MG Fans.  

🦅

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

While it didn’t work out in the win column, hiring Todd Dodge was definitely a risk worth taking for us at that time. He brought national attention, great connections to the Texas high school coaches, and increased fundraising. The downfall was having an AD  so incompetent and unknowledgeable about football that he allowed us to hire a DC straight from high school (with no college coaching experience) and throw him up against the University of Oklahoma. Overall, despite the win/loss record, I’m glad we hired ol’ Todge because I don’t see RV getting Apogee built without him.

It may have been the best part about Todd Dodge getting hired here--he never stopped talking about being promised a new stadium and that he expected that to happen. He constantly brought it up, which was great. I think he knew that the only chance of that ever happening was to hope that the students/alumni would force the administration's hand. I truly believe he knew that RV couldn't do it and that Gretchen Bataille wouldn't do it.

• Thanks 2