If we’re talking a new head coach…

15 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Again, is there any proof that Littrell actually was offered the job.   I highly doubt it, if offered he would be gone.

Yes, there was an offer and the stipulation was that SL keep many of the current staff on his staff. SL wanted his own say on that, and knowing he had a huge extension here in the works if he stayed, as well as knowing there would be other P5s calling is he kept winning, he told them no.

Kansas State has gotten very lucky twice. Hiring Bill Snyder and not hiring Seth Littrell.

Jimmy Sexton played UNT's leadership so hard...he knew that we were desperate and not used to ever having a coach actually leave for a better job. That has haunted us every day since then.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

If you're looking for proof like leaked emails or photos of contracts that were never signed then you're never going to see it. Multiple outlets reported Seth was deep into negotiations with Kansas State, but when they told Seth he wouldn't have complete control over his own staff and his contract would have an insane buyout clause, he walked away. 

I read about how far he was into negotiations, but the only place I remember seeing anything about staff control and buyout clauses was here.

16 minutes ago, greenminer said:

I read about how far he was into negotiations, but the only place I remember seeing anything about staff control and buyout clauses was here.

https://www.cjonline.com/sports/20181207/north-texas-seth-littrell-reportedly-backs-away-from-kansas-state

https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/mac-engel/article247751335.html

Littrell wanted it, but he reportedly balked at some of K-State’s details, which reportedly included language regarding assistant coaches and the buyout number.

Edited by UNTcrazy727
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

If you're looking for proof like leaked emails or photos of contracts that were never signed then you're never going to see it. Multiple outlets reported Seth was deep into negotiations with Kansas State, but when they told Seth he wouldn't have complete control over his own staff and his contract would have an insane buyout clause, he walked away. 

Yes, most have heard the story you are telling.  However, that does not make it true.

The reportied rub was that Littrell would have to keep Bill Snyder's son as coach.  

KSU retained Snyder's son in an administrative role after the coach change.  I am not sure why anyone thinks this would have deterred Littrell from taking the job.  

You can go on believing an agent's spin that ultimately got Littrell a huge pay raise by NT's standards. 

I don't buy it because frankly it doesn't make any sense based on what actually transpired. 

Edited by GrandGreen

On 10/5/2021 at 9:22 AM, Wag Tag said:

We should sit down with Traylor. He has done an unreal job considering $$ and poor facilities. We could offer more $$, alot better facilities and hopefully a new conference. I would set up a high buy out on his contract.

I think he waits a little longer for a P5 job to open up - Houston/Tech/TCU

6 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I think he waits a little longer for a P5 job to open up - Houston/Tech/TCU

I wonder what Traylor could do at Tech.   
Basically, everything West of Ranger Hill is already Tech territory.  Bring Traylor on, and now you have East Texas locked down too.   He could probably put together a pretty good team out there.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

Thanks.  when they all refer to "reports", but no one can find the original report, was it really reported? 😜

I'm assuming that if it was an anonymous source, they would say that.  These refer to other reports, which is different.

Also, the repetitiveness of "reportedly" leads me to read in in the "Apparently Kid" voice.

Edited by greenminer

4 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Yes, most have heard the story you are telling.  However, that does not make it true.

The reportied rub was that Littrell would have to keep Bill Snyder's son as coach.  

KSU retained Snyder's son in an administrative role after the coach change.  I am not sure why anyone thinks this would have deterred Littrell from taking the job.  

You can go on believing an agent's spin that ultimately got Littrell a huge pay raise by NT's standards. 

I don't buy it because frankly it doesn't make any sense based on what actually transpired. 

They also wanted to include a massive buyout, which one of the articles states was the real deal breaker.

And it makes perfect sense. If you remember, Littrell was strangely MIA for days while the team was preparing for the New Mexico Bowl. It's likely he was well into negations with KSU and thought he wouldn't be coaching us in the bowl game. But when they couldn't compromise on a buyout number and staff control, he walked away.

It's hilarious how some on this board think the entire Kansas State situation was just a ruse by Littrell's agent to get a raise from UNT. Like Wren Baker had no idea what was going on...give me a break.  

Edited by UNTcrazy727
  • Upvote 4

1 hour ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

They also wanted to include a massive buyout, which one of the articles states was the real deal breaker.

And it makes perfect sense. If you remember, Littrell was strangely MIA for days while the team was preparing for the New Mexico Bowl. It's likely he was well into negations with KSU and thought he wouldn't be coaching us in the bowl game. But when they couldn't compromise on a buyout number and staff control, he walked away.

It's hilarious how some on this board think the entire Kansas State situation was just a ruse by Littrell's agent to get a raise from UNT. Like Wren Baker had no idea what was going on...give me a break.  

Exactly... and if Wren was bamboozled by this KSU scenario to cash-whip SL into staying then we have bigger issues. 

2 hours ago, wardly said:

I just hope that we don't hire a coach that has been fired more than once. or is that setting the bar too high?

Has Keeler been fired?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.papercitymag.com/culture/sporting-life/eric-schmid-sam-houston-national-championship-kc-keeler/%3famp

Interesting story and didn’t realize he had been fired. 

Edited by UNTLifer

7 hours ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

But it was just a smoke screen. I will die on that hill

3 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Sounds like a new AD came in and did not like him

17 hours ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

Bold 1:  I think I recall Littrell being in some kind of leadership role with the AFCA, and was at a convention during this time.   But yeah, he was likely also negotiating w/KSSt.

Bold 2:  Whether it was a ruse or not, Sexton made it happen.

• Upvote 1