If we’re talking a new head coach…

37 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

You do know he interviewed for the Philly HC job this past offseason, right?

And with the way the Cowboys offense looks so far, this guy will pretty much be able to name his next job in about 4 months.

Hence the term "longshot"

• Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

You do know he interviewed for the Philly HC job this past offseason, right?

And with the way the Cowboys offense looks so far, this guy will pretty much be able to name his next job in about 4 months.

I don’t think it’s a stretch to think Philly told him “you need some more experience and HC experience would be a plus”

and thus…….

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1

47 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

If true then the BOR and school president can usher WB out with SL when he goes. That would be completely unacceptable. 

This won’t happen. We won’t Benford this thing, as we aren’t paying for multiple buyouts at the same time. Basically, Bumford stayed a final season because we had just paid out $2.1 million to get DMac to leave and then we paid off RV to get the hell out of town. That was over $2.5 million in buyouts. That’s why Benford never got formally fired.

Now, SL will get fired. It’s hopefully at the end of the year if we haven’t won enough games. If not, he’ll be fired next year, as he has now proven that he can’t get these kids to develop into something better than 4 wins without Graham Harrell. But make no mistake, he won’t be coaching here in 2023 unless we see an incredible turnaround. 

• Upvote 3
  • RV 1

On 9/28/2021 at 3:11 AM, oahu eagle said:

You can bring in Nick Saban and nothing would change. Denton is not a place where any coach can run a winning football program.

Let's be real. Majority of students, community and alumni don't give a hoot about nt football program.

••• UNT students set an all time Apogee Stadium student attendance record in Littrell’’s last 9-4 season.  That would be larger than SMU & TCU’s combined students game attendance best.

••• 40,000 Mean Green fans cared to show up as seen in the video in a UNT bowl win. 

••• Once again, Kansas State lost for half a century in the Big 8, then they hired Bill Snyder.  

••• Winning cures cancer—even in Denton.  

Book em’ Dano!  Aloha! 🏝 
 PMG
PS:  Nanakuli was my favorite beach while living on Oahu back in the day. 

🦅

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 2

1 hour ago, All About UNT said:

It's an almost certainty that this guy will be available at the end of the year https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Norvell

I think he is from Irving.  Something tells me we have had recent success with hiring coaches that grew up in Irving.

• Upvote 2

On 9/26/2021 at 10:32 PM, Cr1028 said:

Could be Colby Carthel in his third year at SFA. They play Sam this weekend at NRG in Houston. It will definitely a good one to watch.

Was a really good game but SFA didn’t have enough in the tank. I’m still pro-Carthel though.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

If we are staying in the 1.5 million annual salary range, I would prefer to go the route of a current NFL assistant with at least 8 years college coaching experience with significant portion of it at a strong G5 program.   I think either running a more pro style offense or triple option is the way to go at UNT.  We consistently seem to bring in good running back talent no matter who is coaching here.  Triple option doesn’t recruit well so I think pro style is the way to go.  If we can get a guy known as a QB guru it would do wonders here.  

If we are staying under 1 million for annual HC salary we need to invest more into the OC and DC positions.  Give those Coordinators solid contracts with stability.   I wonder what would have been possible here if Sonny Dykes was hired as the HC and SL as assistant HC/OC.    

Truly we need 2 dynamic coaches get this program where it should be.  One experienced head coach on his way to a P5 program in 3 years and younger hot commodity assistance that will be ready to take the job when the HC get that P5 job.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

On 9/28/2021 at 3:11 AM, oahu eagle said:

You can bring in Nick Saban and nothing would change. Denton is not a place where any coach can run a winning football program.

Let's be real. Majority of students, community and alumni don't give a hoot about nt football program.

Well fuk you too.

Edited by Rudy
  • Upvote 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Downvote 3

This topic has been a great read.

Gotta love that so many of us wanted Briles the last time around, and he turned us down because he was being groomed to take over for his dad.

Then he was bashed on here after the Baylor debacle. We were all,”Bet he wished he took the job now.” 

Then he ended up at FAU, and his offense just embarrassed us. 

Now we are back to him as one of our top targets. Love it. 

To the Oahu guy, Denton is part of DFW bro, we are a bandwagon town. Look at every professional sport as well as TCU and SMBleh. This area supports winners. If you win, people show up. Only exception to that is the cowboys. A few years ago SMU had a killer bball season and every game was sold out. TCU started winning and FW adopted them. The Rangers were going to WS and people that didn’t even know who the 3rd starter in the rotation were asking off to go to games. 

FWIW, my choice is

1:)briles, just like last time

2) Sumlin

3) someone ridiculous like Deion sanders because you know he’s gonna get athletes we have no business getting. Just like he’s doing at an FCS

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 3

11 hours ago, untlynchka1 said:

This topic has been a great read.

Gotta love that so many of us wanted Briles the last time around, and he turned us down because he was being groomed to take over for his dad.

Then he was bashed on here after the Baylor debacle. We were all,”Bet he wished he took the job now.” 

Then he ended up at FAU, and his offense just embarrassed us. 

Now we are back to him as one of our top targets. Love it. 

To the Oahu guy, Denton is part of DFW bro, we are a bandwagon town. Look at every professional sport as well as TCU and SMBleh. This area supports winners. If you win, people show up. Only exception to that is the cowboys. A few years ago SMU had a killer bball season and every game was sold out. TCU started winning and FW adopted them. The Rangers were going to WS and people that didn’t even know who the 3rd starter in the rotation were asking off to go to games. 

FWIW, my choice is

1:)briles, just like last time

2) Sumlin

3) someone ridiculous like Deion sanders because you know he’s gonna get athletes we have no business getting. Just like he’s doing at an FCS

I'll pass on Deion. Seems like more of a publicity stunt, even if he can recruit. Seth can recruit, but can't develop. I want someone that can develop guys, and hire good coordinators.

• Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

I'll pass on Deion. Seems like more of a publicity stunt, even if he can recruit. Seth can recruit, but can't develop. I want someone that can develop guys, and hire good coordinators.

I have no idea how his X-and-Os are, but Deion is magnetic.  Kids want to play for him, and his preacher-like speeches get his athletes fired up.  They are running through brick walls for him.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

Sumlin or someone with a similar resume and time coaching in Texas would be my first choice.  I am not intrigued with any Offensive coordinator that hasn’t coached in the NFL.  All these spread option and Air Raid systems are similar.  If your position coaches aren’t top notch refining the techniques for each position the OC doesn’t matter.  

But the notion of turning our noses up at a former Cowboy with Super Bowl Rings (one of them with the Cowboys) and a Hall of Fame Jacket? 🤔 Recruiting in DFW area and Texas in general. If I thought for a second he would consider it I am on the phone with his agent ASAP.   He would be my first choice we NEED a publicity stunt to differentiate ourselves in this market.      If we got 6 bonafide 5 star athletes the X & O don’t matter that much going against CUSA west.  Imagine if we had gotten Courtland Sutton and Darden.  That would have been possible if you have someone like Deion.  Reading the defense doesn’t matter that much when you top 2 options are always open.  

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1