If we’re talking a new head coach…

18 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

Anyone from a FCS school that is winning and is a younger coach is my hope.

But I bet we go the P5 assistant route--someone who will think this place is bassackwards from their previous stints as OC/DC at power schools.

Just because you think that doesn't mean they will. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

Just because you think that doesn't mean they will. 

Good point...maybe someone will come here and actually figure out a way to win here after coaching at some P5 giant where funding is never an issue, nor is reputation within the CFB world and TX HS Coaches and parents...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Just now, MeanGreenTexan said:

Legit pick, give-up/lazy pick, comfortable/lack-of-preparation-or-interest pick.
In that order.

Well alright then.

Curious what your three would be.

Briles is my top pick because I think he could retain Bennett, which would be a huge win for us.

Carthel has won at multiple levels, and If he has another solid season at SFA I think he's definitely more than a "give up"

Graham Harrell was the reason we had success in the last six years. I'd be wary of his defense, but it'd be nigh-guaranteed our QB/Offense would be prepared and efficient

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

Maybe this guy needs a look....

Football Photo Day

John Glass' FCS program just beat Florida State, and in only 8 seasons as a head coach, he has a record of 69-22. Oh and as the OC, he inherited the head coaching job from Bill Clark when he left to coach UAB. Plus, he has never posted a losing season as a head coach in college. And in 2020 his team beat FIU. This guy knows football.

https://jsugamecocksports.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/john-grass/890

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Grass_(American_football)

Glass and his team will face off against Colby Cartel and SFA on Oct 9th. Should be interesting.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Rudy said:

All this is moot if we don't fire Seth.

And we won't even know that until the end of the season. SL isn't being fired because of how we do in these games against SMU, UAB, LT, Mizzou, Liberty, or Marshall. It will be on how we do and look against Rice, UTEP, USM, FIU, and UTSA. I put UTSA on there because if they blow us out and we don't have 4 wins, that could be the final nail in the coffin.

• Upvote 3

Just now, MGNation92 said:

Well alright then.

Curious what your three would be.

Briles is my top pick because I think he could retain Bennett, which would be a huge win for us.

Carthel has won at multiple levels, and If he has another solid season at SFA I think he's definitely more than a "give up"

Graham Harrell was the reason we had success in the last six years. I'd be wary of his defense, but it'd be nigh-guaranteed our QB/Offense would be prepared and efficient

I don't think retaining Bennett is the reason I would cite for hiring Kendal Briles.   It's for is brilliant offensive mind, and his ability to get guys to PLAY for him.

The reasons you're citing for Carthel are precisely why they're give-up/lazy:  "Oh, hey!  A guy from Texas who has won at lower levels!  Let's hire him and assume he'll win here too!!"

I don't think Harrell is "THE" reason there was offensive production while he was here.   I'm sure he's grown quite a bit while at USC, but man, I remember while he was here, not only did he struggle with halftime adjustments offensively, watching him on BTG, his demeanor did not really scream HEAD COACH.

3 I'd love to see NT look at (in order):
Mike Yurcich  -  OKSt had some amazing offenses during his time there.   Since then, he's bounced around and picked the brains of Ryan Day, Tom Herman & now, James Franklin, serving as OC at all stops.   Really, it's up to him to decide if he wants to be a HC at a G5, or keep trying to get a P5 job.  I would worry about another G5 school in the Rust Belt wanting him because that's where he's from.  But his career path has taken him all over, with quite a bit of time down here in Big12 country.  I bet he feels more than comfortable here.  I think it was telling that he left Ohio State & Justin Fields to come back to Texas with Herman (he likes it down here!), but even though it didn't work out with Herman, he turned around and got another amazing opportunity to lead PSU's offense this year.  Shows what the coaching community thinks of him.

Barry Odom  -  A defensive coach.   We've certainly struggled on that side of the ball for a majority of my time following North Texas (with the exceptions of Dickey's Championship defenses & defensive-minded McCarney's 2013 squad).   He has HC experience, and his defense at Arkansas is playing lights-out right now.   He has all of this experience, and he's only 45 yrs old.   Again, it's really a question of his desire to jump back into Head Coaching.  NT would give him a great opportunity.

Kendal Briles - His offensive mind is just as good, maybe better, than his dad's.   With his last name, we're going to have a tough time hiring him, but you'd better believe the offense would be extremely fun to watch under his guidance.   His defensive coordinator hire would need to be a home run.  I don't know what kinds of connections he has on that side of the ball, but at worst, we know Bennett would likely stick around if asked.  I bet he wouldn't hesitate to become a HC if we offered.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

10 minutes ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

I know Lebby would be a high bidding person, but I don’t see why he isn’t on the top of the list for y’all.

He's up there with Kendal for me.   I think I'd rather have Kendal though.  I think Lebby is headed to a low-level P5 (like Virginia/GATech) next season.

Edited by MeanGreenTexan
  • Upvote 2

While I'm not locked into anything, I have a strong preference for someone who's been a head coach before. I just think the experience and ability to hire staff is one of the most important qualities of a head coach. Way too many guys are good coordinators, but incapable of really running a whole team, which is a much more complicated skillset.

An OC/DC who's being promoted could certainly work and prove they have that skill (I mean, that's how guys GET that HC experience), but I'd rather we not be someone's on-the-job training. 

• Thanks 2

16 hours ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

Maybe this guy needs a look....

Football Photo Day

John Glass' FCS program just beat Florida State, and in only 8 seasons as a head coach, he has a record of 69-22. Oh and as the OC, he inherited the head coaching job from Bill Clark when he left to coach UAB. Plus, he has never posted a losing season as a head coach in college. And in 2020 his team beat FIU. This guy knows football.

https://jsugamecocksports.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/john-grass/890

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Grass_(American_football)

No. He coaches his alma mater and has never left the region.

37 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Seems like most want a "name". Seems not that long ago where a lot of people were making jokes about that low level assistant from Arkansas who was hired by UTSA. Find someone who has proven they can develop 3 star level talent.

This is way easier said than done, obviously.   And the guy you're citing completely counters your point.

Traylor was a RBs coach under one of the worst coaches Arkansas has ever seen when he landed the UTSA job... what exactly did he "prove" (outside of being able to recruit East Texas) prior to being named HC at UTSA??

38 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

This is way easier said than done, obviously.   And the guy you're citing completely counters your point.

Traylor was a RBs coach under one of the worst coaches Arkansas has ever seen when he landed the UTSA job... what exactly did he "prove" (outside of being able to recruit East Texas) prior to being named HC at UTSA??

My point. don't get too caught up on the P5 OC/DC credentials. 

30 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

My point. don't get too caught up on the P5 OC/DC credentials. 

What credentials do we need to look for instead?   …and wouldn’t you think one of those coordinators would fulfill those credentials (generally speaking) more than a position coach?   Obviously, as Littrell is showing, not every one is a home run hire.  But we can’t let his results scare us from going back to that deep well.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

What credentials do we need to look for instead?   …and wouldn’t you think one of those coordinators would fulfill those credentials (generally speaking) more than a position coach?   Obviously, as Littrell is showing, not every one is a home run hire.  But we can’t let his results scare us from going back to that deep well.

That's the million dollar (well closer to 2 million). I am the first to admit it's easy for fans to sit back and have wish list, but I would like to see someone who has been a HC and see how he put staffs together and adjusted to changes. Times like this are when AD's make their money. I would think we could keep the salary pool about the same and pay the HC less than Seth (maybe make the contract similar to what Michigan did with JH and make it incentive based)and use the rest to make sure we have as strong of a team of assistants as possible and add 4+ analyst. 

4 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I don't think retaining Bennett is the reason I would cite for hiring Kendal Briles.   It's for is brilliant offensive mind, and his ability to get guys to PLAY for him.

The reasons you're citing for Carthel are precisely why they're give-up/lazy:  "Oh, hey!  A guy from Texas who has won at lower levels!  Let's hire him and assume he'll win here too!!"

I don't think Harrell is "THE" reason there was offensive production while he was here.   I'm sure he's grown quite a bit while at USC, but man, I remember while he was here, not only did he struggle with halftime adjustments offensively, watching him on BTG, his demeanor did not really scream HEAD COACH.

3 I'd love to see NT look at (in order):
Mike Yurcich  -  OKSt had some amazing offenses during his time there.   Since then, he's bounced around and picked the brains of Ryan Day, Tom Herman & now, James Franklin, serving as OC at all stops.   Really, it's up to him to decide if he wants to be a HC at a G5, or keep trying to get a P5 job.  I would worry about another G5 school in the Rust Belt wanting him because that's where he's from.  But his career path has taken him all over, with quite a bit of time down here in Big12 country.  I bet he feels more than comfortable here.  I think it was telling that he left Ohio State & Justin Fields to come back to Texas with Herman (he likes it down here!), but even though it didn't work out with Herman, he turned around and got another amazing opportunity to lead PSU's offense this year.  Shows what the coaching community thinks of him.

Barry Odom  -  A defensive coach.   We've certainly struggled on that side of the ball for a majority of my time following North Texas (with the exceptions of Dickey's Championship defenses & defensive-minded McCarney's 2013 squad).   He has HC experience, and his defense at Arkansas is playing lights-out right now.   He has all of this experience, and he's only 45 yrs old.   Again, it's really a question of his desire to jump back into Head Coaching.  NT would give him a great opportunity.

Kendal Briles - His offensive mind is just as good, maybe better, than his dad's.   With his last name, we're going to have a tough time hiring him, but you'd better believe the offense would be extremely fun to watch under his guidance.   His defensive coordinator hire would need to be a home run.  I don't know what kinds of connections he has on that side of the ball, but at worst, we know Bennett would likely stick around if asked.  I bet he wouldn't hesitate to become a HC if we offered.

I have a hunch Kendall knows a guy for the OC position.