All y'all Aune doubters

peanuts104

3 hours ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

Here’s what I’ll say on the QB situation.

Aune and Ruder both are just not very good. It looks like Ruder lost a huge amount of confidence after the SMU game because he is extremely hesitant and kinda scared looking. 
Aune on the other hand, seems like he is a tad better but looks way worse than last year. Lacks awareness in many situations (like not going out of bounds at the end of the game) and doesn’t change his target when passing, something that good teams see and adjust to. 
Now, the receivers had a rough day and there aren’t a whole lot of them that have experience. I mean Simpson is the only guy that has more than 3 games of experience, but there shouldn’t be that many drops. 

Kason Martin, who has a good deep ball I guess, clearly doesn’t have a playing role on the team. It seems he is there for fun.

Bryce is not ready. I think Bryce is the future of UNT football, but he’s young and I mean he really shouldn’t be an option. Ruder and Aune SHOULD be better because of prior experience and talent that was developed, but that’s clearly not happening.

On that, development is lacking really badly. Hooray, we have the #1 recruiting class! But not much progression has been made for quite a few guys.

I think Aune needs more reps with the 1s and will return to the better version of himself we saw last year.

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

I think Aune needs more reps with the 1s and will return to the better version of himself we saw last year.

This is where I am, too. Ruder has 3 years of eligibility left. Aúne takes it the rest of the year and see where Ruder is next fall.

It’s time for the young receivers to show what they can do.  GMG!

• Upvote 6
  • Lovely Take 1

15 hours ago, Jonnyeagle said:

If we are being honest with ourselves why would North Carolina let Ruder go if he were that great?  Same with why did Chad Morris let Aune leave Arkansas?  Why were we the only D1 team to offer Cason?  

If a player wants to enter the portal, he can.  There's nothing a school is going to do to stop him.  So it's not like UNC "let" Ruder go.  I doubt Coach Brown lost any sleep over it though. 
And why wouldn't Aune want to leave Morris' sinking ship? 
Martin...  I dunno.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

For sure.
Where the heck is Caleb Johnson??

I’ve also been wondering that. A lot of freshman have appeared on defense, but only 3-4 on offense. Gabe Blair making the most impact, someone that should be starting the rest of his career.

Does this offense require an extra level of timing between QB-WRs? Are we underestimating this?

Seems like the only time we enjoyed success (Fine) was with a long-term QB that had WRs that were well-established.

Route-running in this offense takes a premium seat over talent, moreso than what I'm used to? Just throwing that 0.02 out there.  Maybe that's why we are holding out on young WR talent: let them spend a year learning routes/QBs.

51 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Haven't really bothered to confirm, but I heard on a pod that they are trying to RS him.

That's fine, but he'd still have 4 games to play this season before redshirting.    Unless he's injured, put him out there for 4 games.  If he makes plays... burn the redshirt and keep him in so he can help you win games & develop in actual game play (like Fine!).   If he's struggling to keep up in those 4 games, redshirt him.   Seems easy enough.   There's gotta be more to that story.

50 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Does this offense require an extra level of timing between QB-WRs? Are we underestimating this?

Seems like the only time we enjoyed success (Fine) was with a long-term QB that had WRs that were well-established.

Route-running in this offense takes a premium seat over talent, moreso than what I'm used to? Just throwing that 0.02 out there.  Maybe that's why we are holding out on young WR talent: let them spend a year learning routes/QBs.

I'm pretty sure SL's WR trees are fairly simple (as are most Leach-disciple WR trees).   Supposedly, you just repeat them over & over until you can't mess up on any of them.

I can not imagine Littrell (NT) worrying about losing players' eligibility for a year with the program in the state it is.  If someone can help put them on the field. 

I think the lack of use of freshmen has more to do with LIttrell valuing experience more than potential. 

Also note that the DT Brown appears to be the best freshman recruit despite being ranked the lowest.  Every freshman recruit on the team is rated a 3 star, which obviously means that are good enough for a scholarship and nothing else. 

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, Jonnyeagle said:

If we are being honest with ourselves why would North Carolina let Ruder go if he were that great?  Same with why did Chad Morris let Aune leave Arkansas?  Why were we the only D1 team to offer Cason?  

He graduated from NC. He has no reason to stay and was not going to unseat the current starting QB. With the ridiculous amount of years of eligibility he has remaining, I’m sure NC (who has seen him throw in practice) wants to use that scholarship on a different player that could contribute for them.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

Ruder is not a lost cause.  He just needs a good QB coach to work with him on his mechanics and footwork, and I think he would have benefited from gradually being incorporated into the offense instead of thrown into the starting spot after only being in town for about 6 weeks or so.

I honestly don't understand the reluctance to play Martin at this point.

• Upvote 3

On 9/27/2021 at 4:59 PM, UNTLifer said:

Ruder is not a lost cause.  He just needs a good QB coach to work with him on his mechanics and footwork, and I think he would have benefited from gradually being incorporated into the offense instead of thrown into the starting spot after only being in town for about 6 weeks or so.

I honestly don't understand the reluctance to play Martin at this point.

Anything at this point. This team is awful. 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 4

On 9/27/2021 at 4:59 PM, UNTLifer said:

Ruder is not a lost cause.  He just needs a good QB coach to work with him on his mechanics and footwork,

This guy isn’t a freshman.  He was at North Carolina for 3 years.  I am sure he has received a ton of coaching on those basic things.  

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 3

On 9/27/2021 at 4:30 PM, GrandGreen said:

I can not imagine Littrell (NT) worrying about losing players' eligibility for a year with the program in the state it is.  If someone can help put them on the field. 

I think the lack of use of freshmen has more to do with LIttrell valuing experience more than potential. 

Also note that the DT Brown appears to be the best freshman recruit despite being ranked the lowest.  Every freshman recruit on the team is rated a 3 star, which obviously means that are good enough for a scholarship and nothing else. 

Him and Blair have been really impressive. Brown went into a crowded DL room, and is making a case for one of the best freshman defensively in CUSA

3 hours ago, Mike Jackson said:

This guy isn’t a freshman.  He was at North Carolina for 3 years.  I am sure he has received a ton of coach on those basic things.

Well, those are the issues and a good coach can fix them. 

Guess MLB teams should get rid of their pitching coaches, PGA golfers can save money on swing coaches and the NFL should dump their QB coaches if they followed your lead.