Jump to content
  • Welcome to GoMeanGreen.com!

    Thank you for visiting us!  Registering is easy and free, and provides you with the ability to participate in the discussions along with many cool features and content.

What Happens if latech Cleans our Clock


Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

HC LA TECH:   Is the defense ready for UNT

DC: Yes, we have the run up the middle covered

HC LA TECH:  Great job.

Grad Asst:  But what if they do something fancy like, not run up the middle?

HC & DC:  LOLOLOLOLOLOL

 

  • Haha 7
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, meangreenJW said:

You always bring up Benford and I'm confused on why. WB was hired in August of 2016. The decision to keep Benford for that year had already been made. At the end of the season, he made a change and hired McCasland. You're making assumptions because he took seven months to assess the program or because he didn't fire him midseason? He let him go the day after the season ended. I personally think mid season firings are the wrong way to go especially now with the portal but to be clear Benford had already been given another year when Baker came in. 

My understanding is Benford's contract ran through WB's first year.  he wasn't "given" that year like it was an extension.  It wasn't like there wasn't enough time before the season started.  WB came in, ignored everything that happened under Benford-RV and basically said, "Let me see for myself."

He could have fired Benford but chose not to.  That, and handing out extensions/raises like candy, are my gripes against WB.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, greenminer said:

My understanding is Benford's contract ran through WB's first year.  he wasn't "given" that year like it was an extension.  It wasn't like there wasn't enough time before the season started.  WB came in, ignored everything that happened under Benford-RV and basically said, "Let me see for myself."

He could have fired Benford but chose not to.  That, and handing out extensions/raises like candy, are my gripes against WB.

This.

WB has been a great breath of fresh air here, but as the AD, you cannot make an extension to someone that cannot be bought out for any reason within a year of signing that extension. May not be fair, but it’s how it is here.

If WB can’t fire SL because of financial reasons, just tell us that. Say that we didn’t have the funds from the institution or from the donors. We can all handle it—it’s not anything we should be all the surprised about. Just tell us…don’t pretend that SL is still in good graces here and we want him to get this turned around. That’s not gonna happen. It’d be a Todd Dodge situation where we fire him because we can afford to at a certain point,  not anytime before. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, untjim1995 said:

This.

WB has been a great breath of fresh air here, but as the AD, you cannot make an extension to someone that cannot be bought out for any reason within a year of signing that extension. May not be fair, but it’s how it is here.

If WB can’t fire SL because of financial reasons, just tell us that. Say that we didn’t have the funds from the institution or from the donors. We can all handle it—it’s not anything we should be all the surprised about. Just tell us…don’t pretend that SL is still in good graces here and we want him to get this turned around. That’s not gonna happen. It’d be a Todd Dodge situation where we fire him because we can afford to at a certain point,  not anytime before. 

To me, part of WBs job is to find those funds. And it may take a moment (and maybe more bad play) for him to find enough big time donors to pull this off. Finding money is something he has been fairly successful at in my estimation.  He may not be able to say it can or can't be done financially, because he does not know yet, but he may think he might still get them together. In that case I would not yet be communicating with the public either if i were him.

Edited by outoftown
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Rudy said:

I think they money IS there if needed, Just the donors who will foot the bill for the buyout haven't given the "ok" yet.

I sure hope so. It happened after the Portland State debacle, which was just so embarrassing that something had to be done ASAP. You may be right that the BMDs are waiting until we see how we do against the last 5 opponents. These teams we are in the midst of playing are just far ahead of where we are and that may be what actually gets SL some extra time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/23/2021 at 5:54 PM, BigWillie said:

I was just looking at our records for the past 20 seasons and it is crazy how many 4 and 5 win seasons we had no matter what coach. I really don't know what the problem is here, obviously no one does.

Recruiting.  We cannot get a steady stream of quality recruits to play at North Texas year after year.  The kind of recruits that make a difference.  The recruits that “want” to play here.  NT, the University, has some kind of reputation that sticks with us year after year.  Teachers college, music school, whatever.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

Recruiting.  We cannot get a steady stream of quality recruits to play at North Texas year after year.  The kind of recruits that make a difference.  The recruits that “want” to play here.  NT, the University, has some kind of reputation that sticks with us year after year.  Teachers college, music school, whatever.

Respectfully disagree. It’s not the lack of recruits. It’s been said before, but it seems as though it’s been tough for SL to find replacements for the coaches poached for P5’s.  

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, DeepGreen said:

Recruiting.  We cannot get a steady stream of quality recruits to play at North Texas year after year.  The kind of recruits that make a difference.  The recruits that “want” to play here.  NT, the University, has some kind of reputation that sticks with us year after year.  Teachers college, music school, whatever.

SL deserves credit here. His recruiting has really been better than anything we’ve had here.

He just can’t coach them up…

  • Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, jtm0097 said:

If we lose this week, I guarantee next week we don't lose. There is no chance we lose on October 2nd.

 

The way we are going we could even F'up a bye week somehow. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



  • Tell a friend

    Love GoMeanGreen.com? Tell a friend!
  • What's going on Mean Green?

    1. 24

      Meanwhile in San Antonio

    2. 40

      From this point on every loss is on WB

    3. 24

      Meanwhile in San Antonio

    4. 8

      I have questions

    5. 40

      From this point on every loss is on WB

  • Popular Contributors

  • Member Statistics

    • Total Members
      14,813
    • Most Online
      1,865

    Newest Member
    AFadminxyz
    Joined
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Please review our full Privacy Policy before using our site.