What Happens if latech Cleans our Clock

Cooke County Kid

I do not want to be Debbie downer but what are we going to do if latech beats us bad?  Are we going to just continue to wring our hands?  You say we have Liberty and Missouri after that, you guys good with a 1-5 start.  I do not find this acceptable. 

GO MEAN GREEN!!!

WIN GAMES!!!!!!!

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, Jonnyeagle said:

Sadly I think we have to stick with him for the rest of the year as we owe him too much money.

I get the money aspect. Just getting rid of SL will not make this team better but I think it would send a message to the team, fans, and donors that we are serious about doing something. I think if we wait, it will make it worse.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

23 minutes ago, Monkeypox said:

I mean, who's "we"?

As much as we (fans) might WANT SL to return to find his office lock changed and all his stuff on the lawn, that's probably not realistic.

And I'm not sure if we have Seth or lose Seth, it's likely to change our prospects against Liberty or Missouri in any significant way. I mean, I happen to think his big issue is he hasn't shown he can get the right coaches or coordinators in position (after his initial staff). So I certainly don't trust our assistant coaches to go out there and suddenly light the world on fire.

I'm not really sure firing a coach mid-season vs firing at the end makes much of a difference. Any "message" we'd be sending wouldn't travel so much as the next hallway. About the ONLY positive from dumping him early is it could potentially keep him from getting enough wins against a soft back-end schedule to keep his job, but hopefully we wouldn't keep him around with 4-5 wins if we got our asses handed to us against anybody decent.

What will likely happen: We'll get our asses handed to us and I'll change my mind and threaten to start burning down the world on Saturday night. Then by mid-week, I'll be back to "meh. we'll just dump him at the end of the year and THIS TIME WE'LL SURELY GET IT RIGHT." And then I'll drink a bunch of cough syrup or something. Idk. Hard times.

Yeah, I agree. I wasn't saying it would change anything with the team this season by letting him go. I just felt like it would provide a solid message that the school means business. Probably won't, but just another frustrated fan over here.

On another note, I was just looking at our records for the past 20 seasons and it is crazy how many 4 and 5 win seasons we had no matter what coach. I really don't know what the problem is here, obviously no one does.

• Upvote 2

Just remember boys and girls, where that money comes from.  Whether we want to buy out someone’s contract, or go to town and bring somebody great in here, it takes money and the money comes from you and me.  

It doesn’t really matter, keep a coach or fire a coach, the notion of waiting to support the program or waiting to buy season tickets won’t work.  There is no pot of money in Wren’s office.  It comes from you and me.  

Ante up.

• Upvote 5
  • Confused 1

21 minutes ago, greenjoe said:

Just remember boys and girls, where that money comes from.  Whether we want to buy out someone’s contract, or go to town and bring somebody great in here, it takes money and the money comes from you and me.  

It doesn’t really matter, keep a coach or fire a coach, the notion of waiting to support the program or waiting to buy season tickets won’t work.  There is no pot of money in Wren’s office.  It comes from you and me.  

Ante up.

Wholeheartedly agree. Catch 22 is supporting a terrible product, but as you said, one of the only ways it can get better is supporting financially.

Edited by BigWillie
  • Upvote 2

Just as long as WB doesn't fire SL after the next game, but let him coach the team for the rest of the season, like RV did with DD.  Either let him go, or don't fire him until the season is over.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, greenjoe said:

Ante up.

Cut checks for Wren Bakers poor decisions? Nah. Hard pass. 

• RV 1
  • Eye Roll 2

2 hours ago, Monkeypox said:

I mean, who's "we"?

As much as we (fans) might WANT SL to return to find his office lock changed and all his stuff on the lawn, that's probably not realistic.

And I'm not sure if we have Seth or lose Seth, it's likely to change our prospects against Liberty or Missouri in any significant way. I mean, I happen to think his big issue is he hasn't shown he can get the right coaches or coordinators in position (after his initial staff). So I certainly don't trust our assistant coaches to go out there and suddenly light the world on fire.

I'm not really sure firing a coach mid-season vs firing at the end makes much of a difference. Any "message" we'd be sending wouldn't travel so much as the next hallway. About the ONLY positive from dumping him early is it could potentially keep him from getting enough wins against a soft back-end schedule to keep his job, but hopefully we wouldn't keep him around with 4-5 wins if we got our asses handed to us against anybody decent.

What will likely happen: We'll get our asses handed to us and I'll change my mind and threaten to start burning down the world on Saturday night. Then by mid-week, I'll be back to "meh. we'll just dump him at the end of the year and THIS TIME WE'LL SURELY GET IT RIGHT." And then I'll drink a bunch of cough syrup or something. Idk. Hard times.

Apparently many colleges find it worth getting rid of dead weight mid season. It sends messages and it also gets us moving to the future. 

• Haha 1

If LaTech completely cleans NTs clock, I assume WB will warm up his trigger finger, by increasing the speed with which he dials big donors numbers. It may take some more weeks (no point firing him before taking the L at Missouri), but I hold at least some hope he will eventually do it in that scenario, Ideally presenting an interim for the fans at the next home game.

Honestly I think it is much more interesting if NT loses a close one to LaTech where the defense plays ok, and the offense shows just the tiniest most frustrating of progresses, and it ends something like 21-16 for Tech (yeah that assumes 1 TD and 3 FGs). For an added bonus of pain imagine that LaTech scores one of its touchdowns on a pick-6.

I assume that this would keep WB in more of a holding pattern rather than starting to move on. Depending on where you stand on SL and his future at NT, that could actually be much more frustrating.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

Watching the App. State vs Marshall game last night almost made me ill.

Damn, I loved their end zone facility, ie, seating & suites.  Here’s part of it I took with my IPhone. Wouldn’t that complete Apogee in such a beautiful way? App. freakin State, folks!🤢”In Wren We TrustD14A23D7-CF62-40EE-A5E8-9644329B4C6D.thumb.jpeg.68a17416e458c96556112f06516ec920.jpeg

There was no reason for us to be in a bowl game last season playing them. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, untbowler said:

won't do a damn thing. SL will finish his contract, just like Benford did. WB will not fire anyone unless he has no other choice, he will take the easy route and let the contract run out.

You always bring up Benford and I'm confused on why. WB was hired in August of 2016. The decision to keep Benford for that year had already been made. At the end of the season, he made a change and hired McCasland. You're making assumptions because he took seven months to assess the program or because he didn't fire him midseason? He let him go the day after the season ended. I personally think mid season firings are the wrong way to go especially now with the portal but to be clear Benford had already been given another year when Baker came in. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1