Is the MWC Better for UNT

Hookset

We aren’t at least 0.500 in CUSA conference play so I don’t see why this conversation is so active.  We aren’t competitive in CUSA and overpaying to look bad on a bigger stage than the circa 2000 Sun Belt.  🤷🏽‍♂️  Vanderbilt is in the SEC do we aspire to be like them athletically?

If the Football program gets fixed the conference situation will improve if the leaders aren’t idiots 

1 hour ago, Mike Jackson said:

The Aztecs are playing in Los Angeles while their stadium is being rebuilt in San Diego.   That isn’t a fair representation of their typical attendance when they actually play at home.  It isn’t great and absolutely better than us but it is closer to 30k or more from what I remember going to a couple of games when I lived there.  Jack Murphy Stadium held more than 65k so even when they had 35k+ it looked bad. 

You are right & I corrected it.  Thanks for that update.  (I should have done more research). 

• Eye Roll 1

24 minutes ago, ChristopherRyanWilkes said:

Brett McMurphy made a quick mention in his podcast that CSU and AFA are going to announce their move to AAC next week. It was short but didn't sound like speculation.

https://www.csnbbs.com/thread-930742.html

Matt Brown from Extra Points is saying the same thing.

1 minute ago, Green Otaku said:

If they only lose AF and CSU I'd still go for it if for some reason UNT is considered an option. With Boise St., SDSU, Fresno, and Utah St. it's still a solid FB conference. Just make a clause that let's UNT reconsider if they lose any more members to protect ourselves. 

Precisely.   And SDSU is definitely a danger to leave, as is Boise St. whenever the PAC12 decide to make it 14 or 16.

Something I think people are forgetting about in all their fretting about how awful it would be to join the MWC without Air Force & CSU (which, I must admit, makes the MWC slightly less appealing), is that our alternative is to STAY IN C-USA WITH JUDY.   
Isn't this a no-brainer?   Go wherever you can between the AAC & MWC.  Maybe hope that SMU gets the big 12 invite so we can slide in their AAC spot.
Don't entertain the stupid C-USA/SBC merger ideas either.

• Upvote 6

6 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Precisely.   And SDSU is definitely a danger to leave, as is Boise St. whenever the PAC12 decide to make it 14 or 16.

Something I think people are forgetting about in all their fretting about how awful it would be to join the MWC without Air Force & CSU (which, I must admit, makes the MWC slightly less appealing), is that our alternative is to STAY IN C-USA WITH JUDY.   
Isn't this a no-brainer?   Go wherever you can between the AAC & MWC.  Maybe hope that SMU gets the big 12 invite so we can slide in their AAC spot.
Don't entertain the stupid C-USA/SBC merger ideas either.

Not to mention CUSA has a chance of being decimated. UAB is gone if the AAC can't get anyone else to join. UTSA, Rice, FAU are targets. If AF and CSU don't leave the MW the AAC will set their eyes squarely on CUSA and Sunbelt taking whatever school they want.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Mountain West pays each school around 4 million due to media rights.

CUSA pays around 400k

is this even a question?

Not to mention exposure.   
Think 9:00pm kick times for 1 or 2 games per year is bad?   
Try Judy's next media deal where our games won't be broadcast anywhere, but you'll be able to read box scores in Greensheets everywhere!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Not to mention exposure.   
Think 9:00pm kick times for 1 or 2 games per year is bad?   
Try Judy's next media deal where our games won't be broadcast anywhere, but you'll be able to read box scores in Greensheets everywhere!

I also feel a couple road trips to hawaii would be a good sell in terms of recruiting

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, SMU2006 said:

That number is about to get gutted when AFA and CSU leave for the AAC.

And Boise. But still think the point stands. CUSA is in a bad deal and our teams are sinking to MAC level. I’ve seen a lot of people say after the top of the MWC leaves (BSU, SDSU, CSU, AFA) the MWC will backfill with the top Texas teams they can get, which makes sense to me. Heading west with UTSA, UTEP and NMSU may be better situation than CUSA. 

• Upvote 1

The MWC loses SDSU and Boise State to the Big XII and Colorado State and Air Force to the AAC.

What's left? New Mexico, Wyoming, Fresno, and a bunch of crap that we don't want on our schedule.

No thanks. No f'n way would we be stupid enough to join that sinking ship. Maybe invite UNM to join UTEP in CUSA, but that's it.

• Upvote 1

Just now, TheReal_jayD said:

I also feel a couple road trips to hawaii would be a good sell in terms of recruiting

B-ball would get 1 trip to Hawaii every other year!
I follow the soccer team on FB.  They recently went out to Hawaii for a game & it looks like they took their time there and got to go all around the island!

3 minutes ago, ADLER said:

The MWC loses SDSU and Boise State to the Big XII and Colorado State and Air Force to the AAC.

What's left? New Mexico, Wyoming, Fresno, and a bunch of crap that we don't want on our schedule.

No thanks. No f'n way would we be stupid enough to join that sinking ship. Maybe invite UNM to join UTEP in CUSA, but that's it.

You don't think CUSA gets cherry picked as well? What is left? the worst media deal in NCAA and what else?

Edited by TheReal_jayD
  • Upvote 5

8 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Mountain West pays each school around 4 million due to media rights.

CUSA pays around 400k

is this even a question?

That money is not reduced, IT"S GONE if SDSU, Boise St, Colorado St, and Air Force leave.

You're trying to climb on the Arizona while the horizontal flight bomber is racing towards it.

Edited by ADLER
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, ADLER said:

Sinking ship??
If the MWC lost that many schools, they'd likely bring ALL of the Texas Schools over (including TXSt and possibly LATech and/or Tulsa).  Would you seriously rather stay in C-USA?

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, TheReal_jayD said:

You don't think CUSA gets cherry picked as well? What is left? the worst media deal in NCAA and what else?

Agree. AAC?MWC will pick to fill in. Then you have what's left of the Belt and CUSA. Do the Eastern teams band together? Could one or two teams head to the MAC? It's better to have some say in where we go rather than to wait until we in with the what-ever-is-left-over. MWC or the AAC (if SMU end up moving) might be the best we can hope for.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, ADLER said:

That money is not reduced, IT"S GONE if SDSU, Boise St, Colorado St, and Air Force leave.

You're trying to climb on the Arizona while the torpedo is racing towards it.

Torpedos miss.
Currently, we're on the Lusitania.   Our deal is ALREADY struck, and will only get worse.

EDIT:   I get it.    Change is scary.  "The devil you know..."  yadda, yadda.   
But man, open your eyes to our current situation!     IF NT could get an invite to either of these conferences despite taking a Mossberg to our feet on the gridiorn, we need to jump on it!

Edited by MeanGreenTexan
  • Upvote 2