People don't realize how vulnerable the AAC is. Take away their last marquee program and it falls hard. 

If I were the MWC commissioner I'd do this:

1. Try and get Gonzaga as a non-FB member

2. If Gonzaga says yes, go for Tulsa and Memphis. Pitch them that the conference has really solid football and phenomenal basketball. Seriously this would be a fantastic BB conference. 

3. Fill the gaps with UNT, UTSA, or Rice. 

Mountain:

Memphis, Tulsa, UNT, Rice (or UTSA), New Mexico, Wyoming, Utah St. 

West:

Hawaii, SDSU, Fresno St., SJSU, Nevada, UNLV, Boise St. 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

42 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Not gonna lie, I've never really wished this kind of luck upon SMU, but I do now.

Hold on, I've been told by many on here that SMU being in the AAC has no bearing on why we can't move there, even though TV Networks and conference commissioners feel the exact opposite...weird.

Its almost as if people wake up and reality hits them straight in the face.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ADLER said:

Although some of the lower MWC schools that will remain have had moments of success they are about to get their budgets decimated. Their futures look quite bleak.

Without a large eastern MWC division our best bet would be to avoid the MWC and let them deal with the Montana schools, the Dakota schools, and NMSU. 

With UAB, Charlotte, likely USM, and maybe Marshall leaving I would rather see CUSA offer UNM and maybe Wyoming or NMSU. 

• Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

Hold on, I've been told by many on here that SMU being in the AAC has no bearing on why we can't move there, even though TV Networks and conference commissioners feel the exact opposite...weird.

Yes and no. If UNT were winning championships and getting top25 rankings there would be no question about us joining despite SMU being there. Basically we aren't offering enough to not be ignored and for the AAC to look for new markets instead. 

The yes part comes strictly from location. Without SMU there we become a natural replacement based on location only. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, MCMLXXX said:

With UAB, Charlotte, likely USM, and maybe Marshall leaving I would rather see CUSA offer UNM and maybe Wyoming or NMSU. 

Don't expect New Mexico and Wyoming to overtly explore any conference move options at this time. Panic, at least publicly, has not set in yet.

Next thing to happen will be MWC announcements Boise and SDSU have no set plans, at this time, to go anywhere. Technically this is true, but SDSU isn't investing so heavily in a new stadium to host emerging FCS schools and Boise has zero interest in sticking around with old Big Sky rivals. Despite whatever Commissioner Thompson announces, those two are gone, and probably taking UNLV with them to the AAC if they don't get their desired Big XII invites.

As a Bait-And-Switch the MWC is trying to entice new members by stating that Boise and SDSU have no plans to leave. That's simply not true. Both schools have preferred plans and then backup plans, and no backup plans include staying in the Mountain West.

AAC has a complicated path. The schools that most look like their self-image are in MWC and but for the front range schools, too far away to be practical full members. 

I don’t know that MWC has to push the panic button yet. Big XII going to XIV is speculative. 

They lose AFA and CSU they have NMSU and UTEP ready to say yes whenever. 

But NCAA permits a title game at 10 teams and they can’t replace the TV value of AFA, but losing AFA and CSU at least short-term raises MWC’s power ratings and drags AAC’s down. 

Doing nothing might well may be the strongest play MWC has. 

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

I don't think SMU keeps NT from getting into the AAC, but they do create somewhat of a roadblock.   Whereas, if they were gone, I think it makes NT look a lot better, because they'd love to keep a presence here in North Texas (where they're HQ'd).

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ADLER said:

Don't expect New Mexico and Wyoming to overtly explore any conference move options at this time. Panic, at least publicly, has not set in yet.

Next thing to happen will be MWC announcements Boise and SDSU have no set plans, at this time, to go anywhere. Technically this is true, but SDSU isn't investing so heavily in a new stadium to host emerging FCS schools and Boise has zero interest in sticking around with old Big Sky rivals. Despite whatever Commissioner Thompson announces, those two are gone, and probably taking UNLV with them to the AAC if they don't get their desired Big XII invites.

As a Bait-And-Switch the MWC is trying to entice new members by stating that Boise and SDSU have no plans to leave. That's simply not true. Both schools have preferred plans and then backup plans, and no backup plans include staying in the Mountain West.

Again I see this problem easily fixed in negotiations. You ask for a clause that lets you reconsider joining if the MWC loses any members before UNT joins without penalty or exit fees. Or even better a grace period of 2-5 years after joining that would let you leave the MWC with no exit fees if they lose members. 

I would hope our leadership is smart enough to look out for our best interest. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Green Otaku said:

Again I see this problem easily fixed in negotiations. You ask for a clause that lets you reconsider joining if the MWC loses any members before UNT joins without penalty or exit fees. Or even better a grace period of 2-5 years after joining that would let you leave the MWC with no exit fees if they lose members. 

I would hope our leadership is smart enough to look out for our best interest. 

I think it best that we just be careful with what we're buying instead of relying on potential rebates, refunds and questionable coupons. This is a BUYER BEWARE transaction.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, ADLER said:

I think it best that we just be careful with what we're buying instead of relying on potential rebates, refunds and questionable coupons. This is a BUYER BEWARE transaction.

I like this.  
Like buying a car!  

NT is looking to find a reliable car to get us where we’re going, but obviously, we’re on a budget.  There’s a lot of research to do, for sure.  And you could wind up buying a lemon, but that’s the risk you gotta take when you feel your current car’s transmission slipping from time to time, your AC doesn’t blow as cold, & your tires are balding.  Upgrade, even ever-so-slightly for now at least.  Maybe next time you buy a car, you’ll have a freaking winning football program!

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, ADLER said:

I think all of us in this thread wholeheartedly agree with caution and looking before we leap. Do your research and due diligence. Also it should be said when posters are saying we should go to the MWC, everyone is referring to a MW that is either intact or loses only AF and CSU. Any more than that and I think everyone would agree that we would have to re-evaluate the move.

Any big change involves risk, I'd rather take a shot at a great possibility should it present itself than just sit on the sideline and hope for the best. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Green Otaku said:

People don't realize how vulnerable the AAC is. Take away their last marquee program and it falls hard. 

If I were the MWC commissioner I'd do this:

1. Try and get Gonzaga as a non-FB member

2. If Gonzaga says yes, go for Tulsa and Memphis. Pitch them that the conference has really solid football and phenomenal basketball. Seriously this would be a fantastic BB conference. 

3. Fill the gaps with UNT, UTSA, or Rice. 

Mountain:

Memphis, Tulsa, UNT, Rice (or UTSA), New Mexico, Wyoming, Utah St. 

West:

Hawaii, SDSU, Fresno St., SJSU, Nevada, UNLV, Boise St. 

Tulsa is not going west for less money. They won the lottery when they were asked to join the ACC. Who really wants the smallest D1 school with only about 3,000 students and very small fan base? You could probable put Tulane in the same boat.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, wardly said:

Tulsa is not going west for less money. They won the lottery when they were asked to join the ACC. Who really wants the smallest D1 school with only about 3,000 students and very small fan base? You could probable put Tulane in the same boat.

Tulane shredded their winning lottery ticket when they left the SEC. They should be Vanderbilt’s twin right now. 

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I like this.  
Like buying a car!  

NT is looking to find a reliable car to get us where we’re going, but obviously, we’re on a budget.  There’s a lot of research to do, for sure.  And you could wind up buying a lemon, but that’s the risk you gotta take when you feel your current car’s transmission slipping from time to time, your AC doesn’t blow as cold, & your tires are balding.  Upgrade, even ever-so-slightly for now at least.  Maybe next time you buy a car, you’ll have a freaking winning football program!

Reading your post, why did I have flashbacks of UNT driving

“the Buick”?

• Haha 2
  • Ray 1

3 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I like this.  
Like buying a car!  

What happens when none of the cars want you driving them?

• Oh Boy! 1

11 minutes ago, Mean Green Matt said:

What happens when none of the cars want you driving them?

Are you kidding?  What car wouldn’t want me driving it?  I never have accidents, always keep routine maintenance up, don’t put a lot of miles on, live in DFW where there are tons of recruits, have a large budget, built a state of the art Indoor Practice Facility, play in beautiful Apogee stadium, have a president that is committed to athletics…. Wait, what are we talking about?