6 hours ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

When SMU gets caught buying players (again) the punishment publicity will cause them to (ultimately) go into another losing cycle (like the 10 consecutive losing years before they got invited to CUSA in 2004)? Yeah, that’s right—they were .500 & less in wins 10 years in a row & still got a CUSA invite in 2004 to begin conference play in 2005.  So much for W/L records as a criteria to get in a conference, eh? 

SMU & their condescending arrogance will always be their self-induced problem because after all—THEY’VE ONLY RECENTLY BEEN TURNED DOWN BY THE BIG 12—AGAIN. (That’s 2 times they’ve been turned down, but there are reasons for that which Big 12 powers just won’t discuss in public media outlets). 

🦅

If you think SMU in the 80's was the most egregious cheater in the SWC I can only laugh.  They may not have even been the worst in Dallas-Fort Worth.  TCU had a pay for play scheme running for years  even after the Wacker days.  Very well known.  You seem to think SMU is the same institution that it was in 1985.  Is UNT the same as in those days?  I don't think so.  Its a much better place with a far brighter future.  The same can be said for SMU.

There's a reason the SWC was called the OPEC Conference in the 80's.  That's where the price was set.  SMU's demise came from being a non-blue blood that could easily nuked with minimal fallout.  

And it sure seems to have curtailed cheating in college athletics right?  

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

2 minutes ago, Monkeypox said:

Yes, I was previously unaware of the composition clauses in ESPN's media deals. With the AAC, named schools are Cincinnati, Houston, Memphis, UCF, and USF (what?).  It's not a full renegotiation trigger, but ESPN can go back to the table and adjust the numbers/payouts.

The only motivation for doing this would be to expedite the departure of UT and OU to the SEC.  ESPN has no interest in devaluing their current asset (AAC) to help out the Big 12 (FOX).  

The buyouts are going to be north of $20m per school if they want to be playing Big 12 football in 2023.  

8 minutes ago, SMU2006 said:

If you think SMU in the 80's was the most egregious cheater in the SWC I can only laugh.  They may not have even been the worst in Dallas-Fort Worth.  TCU had a pay for play scheme running for years  even after the Wacker days.  Very well known.  You seem to think SMU is the same institution that it was in 1985.  Is UNT the same as in those days?  I don't think so.  Its a much better place with a far brighter future.  The same can be said for SMU.

There's a reason the SWC was called the OPEC Conference in the 80's.  That's where the price was set.  SMU's demise came from being a non-blue blood that could easily nuked with minimal fallout.  

SMU sucked then and they suck now.

We get better every day.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3

2 minutes ago, SMU2006 said:

The only motivation for doing this would be to expedite the departure of UT and OU to the SEC.  ESPN has no interest in devaluing their current asset (AAC) to help out the Big 12 (FOX).  

The buyouts are going to be north of $20m per school if they want to be playing Big 12 football in 2023.  

ESPN gains an estimated 50% of the media value of the Big 12 with the addition of UT and OU to the SEC. Everything else is dependent on how that moves forward. AAC departures result in an estimated 20% media value loss in football and almost 50% value loss in basketball.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Monkeypox said:

ESPN gains an estimated 50% of the media value of the Big 12 with the addition of UT and OU to the SEC. Everything else is dependent on how that moves forward. AAC departures result in an estimated 20% media value loss in football and almost 50% value loss in basketball.

Correct thus the motivation to sweeten the pot, but they aren't going to let the AAC die on the vine.  $20m per school goes a long way to mending the fences and (hopefully) adding some quality programs.  We'll see how it shakes out.  But the notion of any AAC school leaving to join the MWC to play gimp to Boise (while paying exit fees) is beyond stupid.

19 hours ago, SMU2006 said:

I'm not selling SMU's cause in any way.  I am simply pointing out that leaving the AAC for the MWC given the economic realities of exit fees, travel costs, horrible start times, etc. makes it astronomically dumb for SMU.  Maybe those same dynamics don't apply to UNT.  I genuinely don't know.

I will say citing enrollment figures of 50,000 doesn't really move the needle a single bit in conference realignment.  TCU got into the Big 12 with an undergrad enrollment of about 9,000.  UCF, Houston, and Cincinnati didn't get invited to the Big 12 b/c of their enrollment numbers.  They got in b/c each have played in a NY6 bowl and have won something significant on the national stage in recent years and have athletic budgets at the very top end of the G5 (including SMU).  I just don't understand attendance smack directed towards SMU when we've got about 6,500 undergrads and roughly 50,000 living alumni in DFW.  The fact that we had 23,500 for Abilene Christian and 29,200 for UNT is admirable IMO.

Why wasn’t SMU invited to the big 12? Winning in football they are doing and trending to continue to achieve. Alumni and students are the initial market for any university and SMU has not been able to deliver on this front. If they can’t deliver here then they will never be able to deliver the Dallas market.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

52 minutes ago, SMU2006 said:

Ok—when anyone else gets busted for:

A,) Having a payroll

B.) Having the governor cover up said payroll

C.) Get the Death Penalty

D.) have a 30 for 30 on their cheating being off the charts

then you’ll have an argument. Everyone cheated back the in the SWC at a high level. But SMU took it to a level beyond anything that could even be topped. Hell, Lou Holtz was at Arkansas and talked about a prized recruit turning the Hogs down because the player just felt it was right to go to SMU—without ever visiting the campus. I won’t even bother with Eric Dickerson getting a Trans Am from the Aggies and still going to SMU to get his payday. 

One thing about North Texas—we don’t and won’t cheat or condone it. Never have, never will. We don’t prioritize athletics, much less winning at football, at all. There’s no way to make those of us that are UNT alums believe any cheating is or should be acceptable. We don’t work that way at all.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

27 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

Ok—when anyone else gets busted for:

A,) Having a payroll

B.) Having the governor cover up said payroll

C.) Get the Death Penalty

D.) have a 30 for 30 on their cheating being off the charts

then you’ll have an argument. Everyone cheated back the in the SWC at a high level. But SMU took it to a level beyond anything that could even be topped. Hell, Lou Holtz was at Arkansas and talked about a prized recruit turning the Hogs down because the player just felt it was right to go to SMU—without ever visiting the campus. I won’t even bother with Eric Dickerson getting a Trans Am from the Aggies and still going to SMU to get his payday. 

One thing about North Texas—we don’t and won’t cheat or condone it. Never have, never will. We don’t prioritize athletics, much less winning at football, at all. There’s no way to make those of us that are UNT alums believe any cheating is or should be acceptable. We don’t work that way at all.

Now I don't know whether we have ever cheated or not, but never is a long time. So a man goes into a bar with his dog Spike and brags to the bartender that his dog is so smart he can do anything. The bartender puts a dollar in his mouth and tells him to go fetch a newspaper. Two hours later Spike has not returned and his owner searches the neighborhood finding his dog in an alley having his way with a French poodle . The owner yells "Spike, I didn't know you were that kind of a dog". Spike replies, " I never had any money before." Maybe we "don't and won't " cheat because like Spike we have never had any money before. Who knows, but if we do, based upon results of out football program, we are not playing near enough.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, wardly said:

Now I don't know whether we have ever cheated or not, but never is a long time. So a man goes into a bar with his dog Spike and brags to the bartender that his dog is so smart he can do anything. The bartender puts a dollar in his mouth and tells him to go fetch a newspaper. Two hours later Spike has not returned and his owner searches the neighborhood finding his dog in an alley having his way with a French poodle . The owner yells "Spike, I didn't know you were that kind of a dog". Spike replies, " I never had any money before." Maybe we "don't and won't " cheat because like Spike we have never had any money before. Who knows, but if we do, based upon results of out football program, we are not playing near enough.

Truth

4 hours ago, Green Otaku said:

Seems pretty clear what he's saying is what's best for UNT isn't what's best for SMU. SMU is already in a respected conference, moving to the MWC would be a lateral and expensive move for them. AAC has had an $8 mil. per team pay out, IIRC double what the MWC has. Just looking at the facts, that's where things currently stand. For us, the MWC is a great opportunity, and it will definitely beat a CUSA that will likely lose some programs. 

Now where there is room for debate is which conference will be the king of the G5s. If MWC stays together or only loses AF and CSU there is a good possibility they beat out the AAC as the better conference. Those two aren't the headliners in the MW, the've been average to poor. It's certainly not like losing Cincy, UCF, and Houston. Most people on their board seem pretty indifferent to them leaving. No one knows where the media deals will land after it's all said and done, the future wide open right now. It's up to the conferences to make the right choices to get the most $$$. 

Personally I don't think the AAC will keep it's current media deal, they've lost too much and with not enough viable candidates to replace them. 

Agree, mostly.👍👍

🦅

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

On 9/24/2021 at 8:24 AM, PlummMeanGreen said:

Arkstfan, your words have been the most reliable & unbiased of any non—UNT alum or MG fan who has posted on GMG for years.  You are an attorney who is very close to the the NCAA scene, correct? 

🦅

Used to be. Got a better paying gig some years back. Most of my connections are retired and retiring but hear some gossip still. 

• Upvote 3

On 9/29/2021 at 2:16 AM, Arkstfan said:

Used to be. Got a better paying gig some years back. Most of my connections are retired and retiring but hear some gossip still. 

If only we could figure out who @MootPoint was from back in the good ole bad days. He always seemed to have some good insider'ish info.

Edited by SteaminWillieBeamin
  • Thanks 1

The AAC rumor of the day is that the AFA and Colorado State are moving to the AAC along with UAB and Charlotte [1st I have heard of 49ers receiving AAC invite] and that the MWC would reload with UNT,UTSA, and [DRUM ROLL PLEASE] RICE. Announcement could come as early as next week. GOOGLE"AAC EXPANSION "for further gossip.

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

"USA Today" With a raid on the MWC, they would focus on UNT, UT sa and Rice.

That sounds pretty close to what “might” happen. 

It still amazes me what a school with a couple of recent winning seasons & venues that a Texas 6A high school could all but equal is even part of this re-alignment discussion.   Oh well, just so UNT gets awarded a league future of which some TV revenue will probably (still) be the best we’ve had.  

Travel?   CUSA-East is not exactly next door neighbors to any of us in the Wild, Wild West.  If it’s to be the MWC, who says we’d even play California schools every other year?  Look at CUSA-East schools who are not exactly frequenting the UNT schedule even now?  

I would think our ace in the hole in all this is our budget, our non-stop venues building which will continue to keep us in the FBS venues arms race & being a large 42,000+ (still growing) public university in a Texas population center of over 8,000,000 citizens.  This was going to eventually pay off for UNT whether this re-alignment go-around or the next one.  

If it’s the MWC, that will be a dream come true for many on GMG & if the MWC, it would be an acquired taste of acceptance for others that I think time would take care of that, too.  

Granted, it was a different time, but the MWC sure did pay off for TCU.

Photo:  UNT vs UNLV, Heart of Dallas Bowl, Cotton Bowl Stadium, before almost 40,000 Mean Green fans 

6A4048DE-0FB1-4F3F-91F9-4A634B0A6403.jpeg.47e672d4043a89289920b0d61698064a.jpeg

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, SMU2006 said:

Its not going to stop at just CSU and AFA.  There are going to be more defections from the MWC.

You can only wish that (while SMU continues to be shunned by Big 12 Light).  • Someone needs to tell you the B12 boys don’t believe SMU brings anything to their party (except a legacy of probations).

Of course, we all knew you’d respond to anything that might put UNT in a good light.  It’s just what you rich, spoiled brat 💩’rds do.  

Still.....Why isn’t SMU being talked up more for Big 12 Light?  What do you &  Gerald T. have to say about that? We’d all like to know. 

BTW, which Texas HS assistant coach will your Chief Recruitinator have come up to UNT next?  

Go back to your SMU forum with the other half dozen who are on it. 

🐎...🦅 ••• We’re gettin’ closer so y’all just keep on looking over your shoulders as it seems you’re still doing now.😆

❇️

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

22 minutes ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

You can only wish that (while SMU continues to be shunned by Big 12 Light).  • Someone needs to tell you the B12 boys don’t believe SMU brings anything to their party (except a legacy of probations).

Of course, we all knew you’d respond to anything that might put UNT in a good light.  It’s just what you rich, spoiled brat 💩’rds do.  

Still.....Why isn’t SMU being talked up more for Big 12 Light?  What do you &  Gerald T. have to say about that? We’d all like to know. 

BTW, which Texas HS assistant coach will your Chief Recruitinator have come up to UNT next?  

Go back to your SMU forum with the other half dozen who are on it. 

🐎...🦅 ••• We’re gettin’ closer so y’all just keep on looking over your shoulders as it seems you’re still doing now.😆

❇️

You mad bro?

• Haha 2
  • Pissed 1
  • Downvote 4

2 hours ago, SMU2006 said:

Its not going to stop at just CSU and AFA.  There are going to be more defections from the MWC.

The SMU fan is correct on this one point.

SDSU, Boise St, and probably UNLV will be gone to other conferences before any Texas schools could join the MWC. Boise and SDSU are waiting on the Big XII, and will bolt to AAC with UNLV if Big XII invite doesn't come

The state of Hawaii supports football to bolster tourism and the remaining schools will bring nobody. Does anybody think that Hawaii won't be researching independence? They almost have to.

Although some of the lower MWC schools that will remain have had moments of success they are about to get their budgets decimated. Their futures look quite bleak.

Without a large eastern MWC division our best bet would be to avoid the MWC and let them deal with the Montana schools, the Dakota schools, and NMSU. 

Edited by ADLER
  • Ray 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1