23 minutes ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

Addendum:

One of the best things UNT has going with MWC powers (& their present Commish’) is they already know what a “winning” MG football program can do since we played one of their schools before the largest ever contingent of Mean Green fans in school history at the 
••• Heart💚of Dallas Bowl •••
on 1-1-2014 at the Cotton Bowl!

🗣Uh.....YES!🦾💪🏻🤛🏾👊🏻

🦅

Yep!
More importantly about that day... and something I think drives the possibility of UNT-to-MWC more than the game itself... is that the President of UNLV at the time was Dr. Neal Smatresk.   
I don't know what his relationship was with the other MWC University Presidents at the time, but I doubt it was a poor one.  I bet he can call around to his old friends and drum up support.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • RV 1

14 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Yep!
More importantly about that day... and something I think drives the possibility of UNT-to-MWC more than the game itself... is that the President of UNLV at the time was Dr. Neal Smatresk.   
I don't know what his relationship was with the other MWC University Presidents at the time, but I doubt it was a poor one.  I bet he can call around to his old friends and drum up support.

If he could have that kind of pull with the MWC, either he hasn't used it, which makes absolutely no sense at all, or he has, which has garnered nothing from the MWC, or, even worse, he has been told that we are not to go out West again by the BOR, meaning we are stuck in CUSA...

• Sad 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

TCU’esque “exclusivity” like when they first joined the MWC is a very big perc for us with all this.  
SA & Houston with DFW (us) would be sheer nirvana if Commish’ Craig Thompson would pull that trigger. 

There is a perfect scenario brewing if we went MWC & other schools had another “un-named” situation.   I do mean a perfect scenario.😇

So to quote Coach Wally Riggs from Paramount’s “Necessary Roughness”—NOW LET US PRAY!” 😎

E8B0BEB7-B591-475C-BD9E-CA9CD04E956E.jpeg.570857f36696b0afc4c4afe3a2d0239f.jpeg

I thought you were going to quote the part just before where he says "Tear their F'n Heads off and you $h!t down their necks"

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

If he could have that kind of pull with the MWC, either he hasn't used it, which makes absolutely no sense at all, or he has, which has garnered nothing from the MWC, or, even worse, he has been told that we are not to go out West again by the BOR, meaning we are stuck in CUSA...

Or, he could have been told "We're not ready to make any moves right now."   Which, why would they have needed to?
Things are moving around now, so those conversations could begin again.

• Upvote 2

I'm certainly no insider but there is quite a bit of growing optimism that SDSU, Colorado State, and AFA will be joining the AAC with UAB.  The attraction for the western schools is the terrible TV deal they agreed to with Boise that essentially created a mini-Longhorn Network where BSU gets a significantly greater chunk of the revenue than the other members. 

AAC is pitching them on creating a western division of SDSU/CSU/AFA/SMU/Tulsa/Memphis while the East would consist of Tulane/UAB/USF/Navy/Temple/ECU.  Not great but Aresco feels that the conference would net somewhere around $5m per school in a renegotiated TV deal with ESPN.  You'd have coast to coast content while still maintaining relatively regional matchups to mitigate travel costs.  ESPN really wants the conference to get to 12 or 14 before the next inevitable shift occurs.  

SDSU and CSU are ready to bolt.  If Boise were left in a gutted MWC they would really have no choice but to join the AAC which would then be at 13 schools.  Options for the 14th team are said to be Marshall, FAU, and Army to balance out things in the east with FAU being the most highly coveted.  So, in summary:

AAC West - SDSU, Boise State, CSU, AFA, SMU, Tulsa, Memphis

AAC East - Tulane, UAB, FAU, USF, ECU, Navy, Temple

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 4

18 minutes ago, SMU2006 said:

I'm certainly no insider but there is quite a bit of growing optimism that SDSU, Colorado State, and AFA will be joining the AAC with UAB. ...

3-Dumb-and-Dumber-Laughing-Gif.gif

23 minutes ago, SMU2006 said:

AAC is pitching them on creating a western division of SDSU/CSU/AFA/SMU/Tulsa/Memphis while the East would consist of Tulane/UAB/USF/Navy/Temple/ECU.  Not great but Aresco feels that the conference would net somewhere around $5m per school in a renegotiated TV deal with ESPN. ...

EasyIdleGermanspitz-max-1mb.gif

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, SMU2006 said:

I'm certainly no insider but there is quite a bit of growing optimism that SDSU, Colorado State, and AFA will be joining the AAC with UAB.  The attraction for the western schools is the terrible TV deal they agreed to with Boise that essentially created a mini-Longhorn Network where BSU gets a significantly greater chunk of the revenue than the other members. 

AAC is pitching them on creating a western division of SDSU/CSU/AFA/SMU/Tulsa/Memphis while the East would consist of Tulane/UAB/USF/Navy/Temple/ECU.  Not great but Aresco feels that the conference would net somewhere around $5m per school in a renegotiated TV deal with ESPN.  You'd have coast to coast content while still maintaining relatively regional matchups to mitigate travel costs.  ESPN really wants the conference to get to 12 or 14 before the next inevitable shift occurs.  

SDSU and CSU are ready to bolt.  If Boise were left in a gutted MWC they would really have no choice but to join the AAC which would then be at 13 schools.  Options for the 14th team are said to be Marshall, FAU, and Army to balance out things in the east with FAU being the most highly coveted.  So, in summary:

AAC West - SDSU, Boise State, CSU, AFA, SMU, Tulsa, Memphis

AAC East - Tulane, UAB, FAU, USF, ECU, Navy, Temple

I've been doing the rounds on various boards and the consensus is that maybe Air Force leaves, that they are at least considering it so they could be with Navy. CSU seems far away from a sure thing but maybe they go. That puts the other schools pretty far down the "No" category. I was reading the MW board and some were saying their tv deal is going to be renegotiated soon, with Boise giving up some of that money they are currently getting. 

From poster Ibanez:

What is probably keeping CSU in the Mountain West is our next deal. Each team gets $4.1-$4.3 a year based on FOX, CBS, and our extra games. Not sure if those are third tier rights or not but I know Boise State doesn't get the extra ghost payments because they have no football games to sale. But the MWC is looking at $7.5- $8.5 million a year on their next deal as long as they stay with CBS and FOX. The reason is CBS needs product and FOX has been happy with the conference as a whole. Also, BSU for the next deal is taking less money as long as they keep the TV portion of the deal. So no more extra payments for BSU but they still get the sweetheart TV times.

https://www.mwcboard.com/index.php?/topic/93183-should-the-mwc-try-to-land-unt-rice-utep-andor-utsa-first/&do=findComment&comment=2981796

• Upvote 3

Just from what I have read I doubt that SDSU has any interest in AAC. They would be perfect for the PAC 12 should they expand. UAB and FAU seem to be the only candidates mentioned from CUSA,and App. State, Coastal Carolina, and ULL from the SBC. Buffalo from the MAC got a shout out as well.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

The Boise/SDSU talk was flat ridiculous. They were there before, albeit not even a year but at the time Boise’s president said they had to increase revenue by $4 million per year to make it work and after the hoop schools left, AAC couldn’t deliver that. They idea that an AAC lacking Houston, UCF, and Cincinnati could out-earn MWC by $4 million is laughable, especially considering that Boise gets enhanced revenue sharing with an eat what you kill system.

AFA being disgruntled since Utah and BYU left was no secret but now the rumor mill says AFA is no longer interested.

MWC is positioned to be stronger than AAC in football, they don’t have a pressing need to expand unless Big 12 turns around and adds Boise and if that happens they probably lose 20% of their revenue.

• Upvote 7

16 hours ago, Green Otaku said:

I've been doing the rounds on various boards and the consensus is that maybe Air Force leaves, that they are at least considering it so they could be with Navy.

Air Force already plays Navy every year.  What's the incentive for them to be in the same conference?  Maybe if the AAC could convince Army to join too, they'd have all the service academies, but again, since they already play each other every year anyway, I don't understand the desire/need to be in the same conference.  This could be perceived as Air Force playing second fiddle to Navy.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, wardly said:

Just from what I have read I doubt that SDSU has any interest in AAC. They would be perfect for the PAC 12 should they expand. UAB and FAU seem to be the only candidates mentioned from CUSA,and App. State, Coastal Carolina, and ULL from the SBC. Buffalo from the MAC got a shout out as well.

For real.

If y'all are so upset about the possibility of having to go play Utah State and UNLV (from DFW), imagine how excited SDSU would be to have to fly all the way to the Eastern/Central Time Zone several times per year.   It makes zero sense for them when they're clearly positioned to join the PAC16 whenever it forms.

• Upvote 1

Don't believe MWC schools leave for AAC when the Big 12 may come calling. I also don't see SDSU and maybe others leaving the MWC when the Pac12 may come calling. The model seems to be more teams in a conference, 16 would make sense along with 2 divisions. This should be the same model for Sunbelt and C-USA.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Green Otaku said:

I've been doing the rounds on various boards and the consensus is that maybe Air Force leaves, that they are at least considering it so they could be with Navy. CSU seems far away from a sure thing but maybe they go. That puts the other schools pretty far down the "No" category. I was reading the MW board and some were saying their tv deal is going to be renegotiated soon, with Boise giving up some of that money they are currently getting. 

From poster Ibanez:

https://www.mwcboard.com/index.php?/topic/93183-should-the-mwc-try-to-land-unt-rice-utep-andor-utsa-first/&do=findComment&comment=2981796

https://theathletic.com/2844281/2021/09/23/conference-realignment-the-american-could-add-new-schools-soon-and-the-mountain-west-is-a-target/

Just sayin'.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, SMU2006 said:

Article is behind a paywall, so I can't read it. I don't doubt that reaching out, talks, and even meetings have/are happening. Now if anything comes of it that's a different story. Schools are looking at their options and seeing what's best for them. 

1 minute ago, Green Otaku said:

Article is behind a paywall, so I can't read it. I don't doubt that reaching out, talks, and even meetings have/are happening. Now if anything comes of it that's a different story. Schools are looking at their options and seeing what's best for them. 

Article states that sources at both Colorado State and Air Force have indicated they are willing to make a move to the AAC citing the existing TV deal and a desire to play more games in CST/EST.  Further, that talks are ongoing with SDSU who has already expressed a willingness to leave the MWC.  Backup options are UNLV, Fresno State, and UAB at the moment.

2 hours ago, keith said:

Air Force already plays Navy every year.  What's the incentive for them to be in the same conference?  Maybe if the AAC could convince Army to join too, they'd have all the service academies, but again, since they already play each other every year anyway, I don't understand the desire/need to be in the same conference.  This could be perceived as Air Force playing second fiddle to Navy.

From what I've seen from posters Air Force has been vocal/open about their unhappiness with Boise St. getting a bigger piece of the pie. The other thing I could think of is maybe most of their vets live out east and they would be going to a league that gets them closer to their fans, but that's just speculation on my part. 

2 minutes ago, Green Otaku said:

From what I've seen from posters Air Force has been vocal/open about their unhappiness with Boise St. getting a bigger piece of the pie. The other thing I could think of is maybe most of their vets live out east and they would be going to a league that gets them closer to their fans, but that's just speculation on my part. 

I suspect most retired/Air Force veterans live near an Air Force base (which are all around the country) or have migrated to San Antonio where the Air Force Village is.  For career military, being close to a base (probably the one they retired from) for access to base resources is important.  Maybe the time zone is important or they think they can get a better TV deal with the AAC than they can with the MWC.  I would imagine that if they and CSU are unhappy with the situation in the MWC, then the MWC would be looking to rectify the situation in order to keep the conference together.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, SMU2006 said:

Article states that sources at both Colorado State and Air Force have indicated they are willing to make a move to the AAC citing the existing TV deal and a desire to play more games in CST/EST.  Further, that talks are ongoing with SDSU who has already expressed a willingness to leave the MWC.  Backup options are UNLV, Fresno State, and UAB at the moment.

Air Force I could see for reasons in my post above. CSU I see as unlikely and the others a very distant possibility. I just don't see it worth it for those west coast schools, regarding travel. Sending olympic sports across the country... I just don't know if the AAC can offer enough of a bump to make it worth it. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Green Otaku said:

Air Force I could see for reasons in my post above. CSU I see as unlikely and the others a very distant possibility. I just don't see it worth it for those west coast schools, regarding travel. Sending olympic sports across the country... I just don't know if the AAC can offer enough of a bump to make it worth it

They can't--unless ESPN comes to the table with more money, which they aren't gonna do for a conference with SMU, Temple, Tulane, Tulsa, USF, ECU, Memphis, Navy, and adding in UAB. Most likely, the MWC keeps their teams unless the Big XII comes calling. If that happens, then all of this is thrown in the air, but assuming it doesn't, the MWC will probably just add Gonzaga to get back to 12 hoops teams, and the AAC will end up adding in UTSA and FAU to balance out their league to 12 again.

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

18 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

They can't--unless ESPN comes to the table with more money, which they aren't gonna do for a conference with SMU, Temple, Tulane, Tulsa, USF, ECU, Memphis, Navy, and adding in UAB. Most likely, the MWC keeps their teams unless the Big XII comes calling. If that happens, then all of this is thrown in the air, but assuming it doesn't, the MWC will probably just add Gonzaga to get back to 12 hoops teams, and the AAC will end up adding in UTSA and FAU to balance out their league to 12 again.

One of the major factors to consider here is the negotiated buyout of Cincinnati, UH, and UCF.  AAC bylaws say 27 months and $10M per school.  As of now the three departing institutions want to be playing Big 12 football in 2023 at the latest.  From the sources on the 247 SMU site the exit fees will likely be somewhere in the range of 25-30M per school.  As a point of reference UCONN paid $17m to leave early and they are nowhere near the caliber of asset that UC, UH, and UCF are to the continued viability of the AAC.

If the AAC existing schools can net that kind of return in exit fees it may help to incentivize the MWC schools to leave where the exit fees are substantially lower.

One of the major factors to consider here is the negotiated buyout of Cincinnati, UH, and UCF.  AAC bylaws say 27 months and $10M per school.  As of now the three departing institutions want to be playing Big 12 football in 2023 at the latest.  From the sources on the 247 SMU site the exit fees will likely be somewhere in the range of 25-30M per school.  As a point of reference UCONN paid $17m to leave early and they are nowhere near the caliber of asset that UC, UH, and UCF are to the continued viability of the AAC.

If the AAC existing schools can net that kind of return in exit fees it may help to incentivize the MWC schools to leave where the exit fees are substantially lower.

When A&M and Mizzou left the Big 12, they negotiated a deal to pay less than half of the exit fee, paying only $12.4 million when it was supposedly $30 million per team. Of course, they each played an additional year in the Big XII before leaving, too, while UConn just up and left ASAP.

I seriously doubt that UH, Cincy, and UCF pay anywhere near those reported figures. It'll probably be around $15 million, max. It will be nice to get a cut of that $45 million, but that will get cut into when the new AAC payouts also get negotiated downward. It'll be similar to the Big XII after UT and OU leave...

• Upvote 2

When it’s all done & said, isn’t all of G5 still re-arranging the deck chairs?  Sure, a whole bunch of schools will do some social climbing with schools they prefer a conference relationship, but until the NCAA rules committee gets their heads out of their collective  asses, they will continue to topload the P5 at G5 expense & come up with funky rules (like the portal) to endear themselves to the P5 boys.
 No wonder SMU is pulling out all the stops trying to get in B12 Light, but they still might have to wait 1-2 years to see if that’s possible.  In all fairness to SMU, wouldn’t we do the same if we were in their hooves? 

❇️🦅❇️GMG!  

Changed my mind——we should try to play SMU when possible.  Covid & heat killed the 450 member Green Brigade Marching Band, their parents & many other MG fans from going to G. Ford Stadium 2 weeks ago. 

• Thanks 1

Could this come down to which school has the money to pay exit fees or not?  With Covid times are tougher to write big ole check you know what I’m saying?