Because of the travel and time differences I have opposed any consideration of UNT moving to the MWC . However circumstances do change, and now the MWC may be our only salvation.At present the AAC needs 4 football programs, and reports indicate that with the exception of UAB, they are targeting the MWC. So far only the Air Force Academy and Colorado State have expressed any interest, and who knows what Boise is thinking. Lets wish them great success, because if the AAC is able to pluck a few teams from the MWC then the only market I can see that conference replenishing their loses is Texas. Depending upon how deep they want to go, either SMU or UNT would give the MWC a presence in North Texas while UTSA would do the same in South Texas. If the high altitude has affected their judgement then throw in UTEP and Rice and be done with it. My fear is that the AAC will be unsuccessful in poaching any MWC programs and turn to the SBC and CUSA for replacements. UAB is a slam dunk but after that it become clouded. Besides the Blazers the next best football programs come from the SBC, which are App. State, Coastal Carolina, and ULL. The Big 12 said their measuring stick was 75% football, 25% basketball, with  size of market being a tie breaker. Politically I don't see CUSA and the SBC being able to set past differences aside and work together to create two regional conferences which leaves us where we are today. In the worst division in the worst G5 conference in D1 football, and presently one of the worst teams.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

I would love to be in the MWC. It helped turn TCU into a monster, and even though we'd be travelling further and playing later, the quality of teams would be so much better. There have multiple top 25 programs in the last 10 years and they have a rich basketball history. Even if they lost Boise it's still a much better conference overall than C-USA in my opinion.

Couple that with the real possibility of adding regional basketball only schools like Gonzaga and we could be in a great spot.

Better TV deals, more money, and better exposure. Basketball is already in the right spot, along with Olympic sports like Soccer/Volleyball/Track. We just need to can Littrell and get serious with football

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, wardly said:

Because of the travel and time differences I have opposed any consideration of UNT moving to the MWC . However circumstances do change, and now the MWC may be our only salvation.At present the AAC needs 4 football programs, and reports indicate that with the exception of UAB, they are targeting the MWC. So far only the Air Force Academy and Colorado State have expressed any interest, and who knows what Boise is thinking. Lets wish them great success, because if the AAC is able to pluck a few teams from the MWC then the only market I can see that conference replenishing their loses is Texas. Depending upon how deep they want to go, either SMU or UNT would give the MWC a presence in North Texas while UTSA would do the same in South Texas. If the high altitude has affected their judgement then throw in UTEP and Rice and be done with it. My fear is that the AAC will be unsuccessful in poaching any MWC programs and turn to the SBC and CUSA for replacements. UAB is a slam dunk but after that it become clouded. Besides the Blazers the next best football programs come from the SBC, which are App. State, Coastal Carolina, and ULL. The Big 12 said their measuring stick was 75% football, 25% basketball, with  size of market being a tie breaker. Politically I don't see CUSA and the SBC being able to set past differences aside and work together to create two regional conferences which leaves us where we are today. In the worst division in the worst G5 conference in D1 football, and presently one of the worst teams.

Never officially met you but I do know you’ve always been one of our best longtime $upporters whose seen hell & highwater with Mean Green athletics.  Much longer than most of us. 

Wardly, I applaud you now with your thoughts on the MWC.  Applaud?  To hell with that—I GIVE YOU A STANDING OVATION!
 🦅❇️🦅 GMG! 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, MeanGreenTeeth said:

If Colorado State and AF leave aren't we pretty much just back where we started in the Big West again?

Best case is the scenario in which the MWC proactively adds to get back into Texas and then holds together. We would have lucked our way into the best non-power conference. 

• Upvote 4

33 minutes ago, MeanGreenTeeth said:

If Colorado State and AF leave aren't we pretty much just back where we started in the Big West again?

That's always been my belief. However we now travel to North Carolina, Florida, Virginia, and West Virginia so maybe the MWC isn't so bad after all. They probably would  be willing to move their kick to 6:00 pm MW time for our road games.At present CUSA is the worst G5 football conference behind the MAC and SBC, and I don't see it getting any better.

10 minutes ago, Coffee and TV said:

This wouldn't happen except for maybe 2-3 game a year. 

Less than that, really.    Probably only 1-2 games per year, since we'll likely only play in Pacific time zone once, maybe twice per season.

NT would play most of their games against Mountain Time teams (and if other Texas/Central time teams come, we'll have more Central time opponents).   

I just looked at Wyoming and UNM since some of y'all are saying Air Force & COSt are leaving to the AAC (highly doubt it) :
Wyoming's kickoff times for Home games (all times CENTRAL):
3:00, 3:00, TBD, 2:30, 2:30, 2:00
UNM's kickoff times for Home games (all times CENTRAL):
7:00, 6:00, TBD, 6:00, 6:00, noon

So essentially, our schedule would be the same.

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

Never officially met you but I do know you’ve always been one of our best longtime $upporters whose seen hell & highwater with Mean Green athletics.  Much longer than most of us. 

Wardly, I applaud you now with your thoughts on the MWC.  Applaud?  To hell with that—I GIVE YOU A STANDING OVATION!
 🦅❇️🦅 GMG! 

Thanks, but don't clap too hard. I have had club seats since the get go but gave them up this year. At 78 both my night vision when traveling 35E and interest are waning, although I did purchase a "pick 3" package. We just don't seem to be getting anywhere, even with all the new bricks and sticks, and I am tired of all the lame excuses as to why. I would hope that Wren looks at a proven head coach with Texas ties, such as the one at Sam Houston who won the 1AA championship this year. However athletics seems to work on the buddy system so I am sure Wren has his sights set on someone he has worked with in the past.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Less than that, really.    Probably only 1-2 games per year, since we'll likely only play in Pacific time zone once, maybe twice per season.

NT would play most of their games against Mountain Time teams (and if other Texas/Central time teams come, we'll have more Central time opponents).   

I just looked at Wyoming and UNM since some of y'all are saying Air Force & COSt are leaving to the AAC (highly doubt it) :
Wyoming's kickoff times for Home games (all times CENTRAL):
3:00, 3:00, TBD, 2:30, 2:30, 2:00
UNM's kickoff times for Home games (all times CENTRAL):
7:00, 6:00, TBD, 6:00, 6:00, noon

So essentially, our schedule would be the same.

I doubt anyone leaves the MWC for the AAC, but read where Colorado State and AFC showed some level of interest. At the end of the day I think the AAC poaches from CUSA and the SBC, with UAB a given. New stadium, good program in both football and men's basketball, and decent sized market. I do think the the AAC will  add 4 programs sooner rather than later.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, wardly said:

I doubt anyone leaves the MWC for the AAC, but read where Colorado State and AFC showed some level of interest. At the end of the day I think the AAC poaches from CUSA and the SBC, with UAB a given. New stadium, good program in both football and men's basketball, and decent sized market. I do think the the AAC will  add 4 programs sooner rather than later.

If they leave for the AAC and then Memphis and another team leave they are in trouble.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, wardly said:

Thanks, but don't clap too hard. I have had club seats since the get go but gave them up this year. At 78 both my night vision when traveling 35E and interest are waning, although I did purchase a "pick 3" package. We just don't seem to be getting anywhere, even with all the new bricks and sticks, and I am tired of all the lame excuses as to why. I would hope that Wren looks at a proven head coach with Texas ties, such as the one at Sam Houston who won the 1AA championship this year. However athletics seems to work on the buddy system so I am sure Wren has his sights set on someone he has worked with in the past.

I still applaud you!😆👏👏

We honestly need more like you., 

• Upvote 1

I prefer the idea of a regional conference, if the local egos allowed. That said, I have always preferred going West (mountain, not coastal) than East for most aspects of my life (travel, potential retirement, less concentrated populations, weather,  common sense, etc).

Has anyone ever proposed G5 football/basketball only conferences, and then doing regional Olympic sport conferences to localize rivalries and travel? Whatever income football/hoops generate would still help fund the other sports, but costs of the sports that generate less revenue would drop and maybe the football conference egos wouldn't be as worried about their Olympic sports, for instance, being associated with their "lessers."

GMG

Edited by untcampbell
  • Upvote 5

TCU’esque “exclusivity” like when they first joined the MWC is a very big perc for us with all this.  
SA & Houston with DFW (us) would be sheer nirvana if Commish’ Craig Thompson would pull that trigger. 

There is a perfect scenario brewing if we went MWC & other schools had another “un-named” situation.   I do mean a perfect scenario.😇

So to quote Coach Wally Riggs from Paramount’s “Necessary Roughness”—NOW LET US PRAY!” 😎

E8B0BEB7-B591-475C-BD9E-CA9CD04E956E.jpeg.570857f36696b0afc4c4afe3a2d0239f.jpeg

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2

Any thoughts of moving to the Mountain West must wait until we know if the Big 12 will further expand with SDSU, Boise, and Colorado State and if any MWC schools are defecting to the AAC.

Otherwise we could wind up in a depleted kiddie pool from hell with whoever they can convince to leave the Big Sky Conference.

PolyGroup Blue Round Wading Pool - 45"

Future Mountain West Conference?

• Ray 1

31 minutes ago, ADLER said:

Any thoughts of moving to the Mountain West must wait until we know if the Big 12 will further expand with SDSU, Boise, and Colorado State and if any MWC schools are defecting to the AAC.

Otherwise we could wind up in a depleted kiddie pool from hell with whoever they can convince to leave the Big Sky Conference.

PolyGroup Blue Round Wading Pool - 45"

Future Mountain West Conference?

Agree.

Then our favorite school would have some serious, deep thinking to do.  
Not sure we need to end up in a conference that pulls a “CUSA” on us.  Been there—done that?

For us to get what I think most our people want we really need all the stars to line up just right; otherwise, we  wait for the next re-alignment cycle. 

🦅

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

Addendum:

One of the best things UNT has going with MWC powers (& their present Commish’) is they already know what a “winning” MG football program can do since we played one of their schools before the largest ever contingent of Mean Green fans in school history at the 
••• Heart💚of Dallas Bowl •••
on 1-1-2014 at the Cotton Bowl!

🗣Uh.....YES!🦾💪🏻🤛🏾👊🏻

🦅

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1