247: UNT Falls Flat Against UAB (some eye opening quotes)

UNTLifer

https://247sports.com/college/north-texas/Article/North-Texas-Mean-Green-football-falls-flat-against-UAB-Blazers-to-open-Conference-USA-play-171296974/

“To be honest with you, I don’t know what that was,” head coach Seth Littrell said on the postgame radio show. “That’s not football to me. At the end of the day, you can’t turn the ball over to start the game.”

“Offensively, that’s probably the worst I’ve seen since I’ve been here,” Littrell said. “It was atrocious. That’s why everybody has to look in the mirror and make sure they do their job better than that.”

“The first step [to turning it around] is the mentality and making sure you come ready,” Littrell said. “After you get whipped, you’re either going to lay down and take it or everybody’s going to man up and do better, do their jobs. To me, it’s a mentality.”

Sorry Coach, this all starts with you.

• Upvote 4
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

13 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

And the excuses begin. 

If Littrell was worth a damn he'd say: "all of this is my fault, I didn't prepare the team to the standard of a winning football team and it completely falls on my shoulders as the head coach"

But he's not, so he says this crap

11 minutes ago, untbowler said:

sorry but SL talking about Preparation and being ready is laughable, when his teams have looked unprepared in most games since Year 3. Preparation starts at the top with the coaches.

Buzzword Bingo GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Upvote 1

Missing three wide receivers due to injury (Jyaire Shorter, Tommy Bush and Loronzo Thompson), the Mean Green tallied 220 yards of total offense, with 99 coming through the air.

If you have three receivers missing, then get the others ready to go!  Make sure they and all the QB's are in sync with one another.  It's a passing first-smoke-and-mirrors offense forgodsakes!  EVERY receiver on your roster must be no more than half a step behind the starters in all their skill sets. There's ALWAYS receivers sitting on the bench just waiting for their chance.....or there should be.  Casey Fitzgerald and Michael Lawrence come to mind. This year it is Burns, but he can't be the only one.

If Ruder and Aune are not getting it done, then put in #3....and so on.

“The first step [to turning it around] is the mentality and making sure you come ready,” Littrell said. “After you get whipped, you’re either going to lay down and take it or everybody’s going to man up and do better, do their jobs. To me, it’s a mentality.”

That is a statement you make when you are a FIRST YEAR COACH and you are trying to get the teams attention.  You are 6 years into this job and this is not an acceptable statement.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 5

19 minutes ago, untbowler said:

sorry but SL talking about Preparation and being ready is laughable, when his teams have looked unprepared in most games since Year 3. Preparation starts at the top with the coaches.

When was the last time it looked like Littrell and his staff out worked another staff? Just feels like other coaching staffs are working their asses off to prepare their team and game plan, and Littrell just shows up. It’s sad because we used to routinely punch above our weight in the early Littrell years and always looked like we came in ready and with a plan. Even against teams like Florida and Iowa. We were overmatched offensively against Florida but it was only 19-0 heading into the 4th.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

When was the last time it looked like Littrell and his staff out worked another staff? Just feels like other coaching staffs are working their asses off to prepare their team and game plan, and Littrell just shows up. It’s sad because we used to routinely punch above our weight in the early Littrell years and always looked like we came in ready and with a plan. Even against teams like Florida and Iowa. We were overmatched offensively against Florida but it was only 19-0 heading into the 4th.

The Northwestern State coaching staff didn't get outworked. We just had more talented players and finally prevailed. BUT I was very impressed with Northwestern State's energy and preparation.

• Upvote 3

41 minutes ago, untbowler said:

Just think of how bad this game would have been if we were coming off a bye and had 2 weeks to prepare. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, SilverEagle said:

If Ruder and Aune are not getting it done, then put in #3....and so on.

Silver Eagle & the rest of us who will soon be victimized at a Texas Assisted Living Center;  anyhow, we’d tell all you young whippersnappers that we beat a 7 win Tennessee Volunteers football team with Glenn Ray—our 3’rd string Quarterback!😱

🦅

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

The Northwestern State coaching staff didn't get outworked. We just had more talented players and finally prevailed. BUT I was very impressed with Northwestern State's energy and preparation.

Just for reference, NW State is 0-2 since playing us, including getting drilled 35-10 by Tennessee-Martin this past weekend.

And of course, La Tech should have beaten SMU if not for a last second Hail Mary.    

Unless Seth completely turns things around on Saturday, we are going to get drilled.  I know this is not a surprise to anyone.  

Edited by akriesman
  • Confused 1

15 hours ago, akriesman said:

Just for reference, NW State is 0-2 since playing us, including getting drilled 35-10 by Tennessee-Martin this past weekend.

And of course, La Tech should have beaten SMU if not for a last second Hail Mary.    

Unless Seth completely turns things around on Saturday, we are going to get drilled.  I know this is not a surprise to anyone.  

NWState must have put it all out there for the NT game.

OR, it's a good thing we didn't schedule Tennessee-Martin for our cupcake opening game.

• Upvote 1