Video: Remember the Mean Green beating Texas Tech 2 of 3 Times in Lubbock?

PlummMeanGreen

31 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

That season was just bizarre--we won at Texas Tech, who also beat ranked A&M and OU that year, and we beat 9-2 Boise State, who won the Big West and their bowl game. And we lost to everyone else...

Another Mean Greener & I kept up with recruiting when DC’s Texas Football was about it; that is, the only one who listed Texas HS blue chippers.

Dickey had one class (1998?) when he & his coaches pulled in about 8 of Dave Campbell’s Texas Top 100.   If he’d done that for 3 or 4 more years in a row he’d probably still be in Denton. 

🦅

1 minute ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

Another Mean Greener & I kept up with recruiting when DC’s Texas Football was about it; that is, the only one who listed Texas HS blue chippers.

Dickey had one class (1998?) when he & his coaches pulled in about 8 of Dave Campbell’s Texas Top 100.   If he’d done that for 3 or 4 more years in a row he’d probably still be in Denton. 

🦅

I believe that class was the next year, when he got Booger Kennedy, Jonas Buckles, and Patrick Cobbs, amongst others.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the memories Plummer.😭

Those were good teams and Dickey was a good recruiter and coach.  Anyone who thinks otherwise is full of crappola.  We had so many good players back then.  I  remember one game at Fouts where we were clearly the superior team and had the game clearly in had by halftime or into the 3rd quarter.  Dickey sent in the 2nd team offensive linemen for a good part of the remainder of the game and they performed like “road graders”.  Unbelievable job of opening holes for our running backs.  Fun times.

Wish we could recruit and coach like that again.

Had it not been for our Athletic Director at the time, who’s name I will not mention, no telling where this program would be now.

• Upvote 1