Take Off The Green Glasses…

Hookset

3 minutes ago, Hookset said:

Let’s be realistic. 
We were the worst defense in all of division 1 last year. Last years offensive stats were boosted by the fact that we were blown out of most games by halftime and we played against the backup defenders in the second half. 
This year we have a physically talented QB with potential that only threw 7 passes in a game in 4 years at NC. He had 3-4 weeks to learn a new playbook. Despite the coach speak about doing a great job picking up the scheme, it is obvious he is “thinking” too much and not playing instinctively (remember how many yards Fine threw his freshman year?). Our projected starting RB who has shown the power to move a pile for the hard short yards, tore his ACL in practice. We have “talented” receivers that also have hardly played at their previous schools our were injured last year for us. 
Our defensive scheme is better, but we still have most of the same defensive players that were terrible last year. 
No realistic person thought we would be better than 1-5 after the first 6 games.

UAB got clobbered by Georgia. They came here with the intent to make a statement that they still are the conference bully. 

Changing coaches in the beginning of the season is a bad idea. I want to see if the players and new coaches (I know Littrell has had 6 years…) continue to progress as the season plays out. Look at the whole season, then decide what to change. 
I hope this team saves this game and uses it as fuel for next season and kicks UAB’s ass without mercy (anybody else see UAB’s QB body slam our defensive back in the end zone??? That should be plenty of fuel for a lifetime!!!).

We are playing for the second half of the season. Then next year!!!

GMG!!!

Trying to find an excuse not to watch Melrose Place on Saturday? 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, Big Z said:

Trying to find an excuse not to watch Melrose Place on Saturday? 

I’m there at every home game and watching away games. 
Also realistic enough to know change in defensive schemes takes time and new players that fit the scheme. QB’s take time to develop. Look at the jump Fine made from his freshman year to his sophomore.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 2

37 minutes ago, Hookset said:

Let’s be realistic. 
We were the worst defense in all of division 1 last year. Last years offensive stats were boosted by the fact that we were blown out of most games by halftime and we played against the backup defenders in the second half. 
This year we have a physically talented QB with potential that only threw 7 passes in a game in 4 years at NC. He had 3-4 weeks to learn a new playbook. Despite the coach speak about doing a great job picking up the scheme, it is obvious he is “thinking” too much and not playing instinctively (remember how many yards Fine threw his freshman year?). Our projected starting RB who has shown the power to move a pile for the hard short yards, tore his ACL in practice. We have “talented” receivers that also have hardly played at their previous schools our were injured last year for us. 
Our defensive scheme is better, but we still have most of the same defensive players that were terrible last year. 
No realistic person thought we would be better than 1-5 after the first 6 games.

UAB got clobbered by Georgia. They came here with the intent to make a statement that they still are the conference bully. 

Changing coaches in the beginning of the season is a bad idea. I want to see if the players and new coaches (I know Littrell has had 6 years…) continue to progress as the season plays out. Look at the whole season, then decide what to change. 
I hope this team saves this game and uses it as fuel for next season and kicks UAB’s ass without mercy (anybody else see UAB’s QB body slam our defensive back in the end zone??? That should be plenty of fuel for a lifetime!!!).

We are playing for the second half of the season. Then next year!!!

GMG!!!

If we're going on hypotheticals, we're still essentially playing for a CUSA championship (if we win out) and conceivably a 10 win season. 

Obviously there's little likelihood in that but one can dream. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, meanJewGreen said:

If we're going on hypotheticals, we're still essentially playing for a CUSA championship (if we win out) and conceivably a 10 win season. 

Obviously there's little likelihood in that but one can dream. 

Do you struggle with math?

Realistic expectations for this season were 4-5 wins. Even if we win out the last half of the season at best we can do is 7-5. 
I hope we beat UTSA, but come on… At best 6-6 is possible. 
Prove to future players that UNT can win with a better defensive scheme. Then hopefully better transfer portal players will come and continue to build up the defense. 
Currently we are only getting transfer portal players that can’t play at their current schools. Why do we think that they will excel here?

Another programs bust isn’t going to be our star player.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 10

I guess Seth's last 5 years of mediocrity shouldn't count....

It's not that we lost...its HOW we lost. This is just a continuation of last year...and the year before....

SL beginning success was a direct result of Graham Harrell and this under sized kid from Oklahoma who wanted to play football at FBS/D1 level.

• Upvote 3

29 minutes ago, RBP79 said:

I guess Seth's last 5 years of mediocrity shouldn't count....

It's not that we lost...its HOW we lost. This is just a continuation of last year...and the year before....

SL beginning success was a direct result of Graham Harrell and this under sized kid from Oklahoma who wanted to play football at FBS/D1 level.

I wish Harrell never left also. 
I also remember our defense was decent those first 2 years and were at one point close to the top of the nation in takeaways. 
Our defense went to crap and so did the rest of the team. 
Fix the damn defense and the whole team will be better. I think PB can do that. Just not realistic to expect it to be done by the 3rd game of the season.

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, Hookset said:

Not in the beginning of a season. Would only create chaos. 
Did UNT play better when McCarney was fired?

giphy.gif

YES!  Were you here?   Did you not see it for yourself?

If you wait much longer, you're going to lose fans and credibility.   That's why your Interim would be a guy who can get the team to play for him without nuking everything...   A guy like Mainord.

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, GreenFlag said:

Yes, they did. They also #lockedthegate

UNT was blown out every game except the one victory against UTSA and the loss to UTEP (20-17).

UNT did not suddenly play inspired ball with an interim coach. 
Southern Miss changed coaches at the beginning of last season (different reasons…). Still can’t get their act together.

If this staff needs to go, wait until the end of the season. 

• Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

39 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

giphy.gif

YES!  Were you here?   Did you not see it for yourself?

If you wait much longer, you're going to lose fans and credibility.   That's why your Interim would be a guy who can get the team to play for him without nuking everything...   A guy like Mainord.

I was. Even when my friends quit going to the games. 
We barely beat a bad UTSA team. Lost a close one to UTEP (Freaking UTEP!!!), and were blown out of every other game. UNT did not play inspired ball for an interim coach. And I remember reading about how all the players loved playing for Canalas.

1 hour ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

I can't believe someone is defending this BS. 

I’m not defending anything. Just being realistic about the breakdown of the entire situation. 
Many on this forum demanded we switch to a 4 man defensive line and a new DC. Done, the success remains to be seen. I do think PB will help but he probably won’t be here after his 2 year contract ends.

Bring in better defensive players through the transfer portal. Well, we brought in many players. Haven’t seen much difference in play. 
Bring in a better QB so we can win now. He is a work in progress and I truly hope he isn’t a bust. 
Bring in receivers to replace the ones we lost to graduation. Those new receivers aren’t tearing up the stats for production.

Improve our recruiting success. Well, we have 5 years of improved recruiting with the last 3 being great. Yet many of these “better” recruits aren’t making plays on the field.

I don’t have an answer for all of these failures. Littrell is getting all of the blame. As a head coach should. But, come on. We all know successful assistant coaches aren’t sending resumes to Wren begging to be hired. And good starting players that are wanting to transfer aren’t begging Seth for a chance to play at UNT.

• Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 3