Briles affiliates

GreenGang45

20 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

If we're going to be morally pure....why did we hire his Defensive Coordinator? I'm assuming we should've been concerned from a morality perspective when we hired Phil Bennett?

Am I the only one in the world that finds it surprising that the HC knew what was going on, the OC knew what was going on....but the DC? He didn't go to meetings? Did he go to practice? or did he get the answer he wanted and said "whew, good enough for me!...Let's go win another Big 12 Championship!" Because that seems to be what Briles is guilty of. I mean...he should've done more.

So Sam Ukwuachu and Shawn Oakman both transferred to Baylor to play for Phil Bennett's defense. Did Phil not have a say? Was he forced to take these two monsters against his brave stand? Or did he go along and then clutch the pearls later when he found out the guy that was dismissed from Boise State due to erratic behavior did something bad when he got to Baylor.

I'm not defending Art Briles or pouncing on Phil Bennet....but I guess I don't understand the selective moral righteousness and why one is guilty beyond a reasonable doubt and the other gets the benefit of the doubt.

or

Maybe Phil Bennett is telling the truth when he says:

"I told [other Baylor staffers] it was a fraud setup from the get-go," said Bennett, who claimed he wasn't allowed to have an attorney with him or record the session. The investigators "were so out of touch with the structure of college football it was comical."

In his interview with the Star-Telegram, Bennett said never did a member of the Baylor coaching staff try to suppress or hide allegations of sexual assault against members of the football program.

"The biggest thing was the Pepper Hamilton report put there was that all of the coaches knew in the 'Finding of Fact .' That threw all of us in the same hopper; that we were concealing something," said Bennett, adding that a PR firm hired by Baylor "was going to hatchet everybody."

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/24133988/former-baylor-dc-phil-bennett-addresses-sexual-assault-scandal

Do we believe Phil Bennet? or is he lying? 

I never really commented on the Phil Bennet hire but I was against any of those Baylor staffers having jobs in college sports again. 

Overseeing a culture of deceit around sexual assault is way different than the recruiting violations of Freeze and Sampson. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

On 9/20/2021 at 11:43 AM, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Honestly, there aren't many coaches out there with the coaching acumen of Art Briles.  He turned both Houston and Baylor from losers into powerhouses.  I'm not saying it's worth it to hire him, but, IMO, the guy is one of the top 5 coaches in college football this century.  And we probably wouldn't have a chance of landing anyone else in the top 50. 

Actually, I'm certain that when Hugh Freeze leaves LIberty for his next job in the SEC or ACC, LIberty will hire Briles...

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

Actually, I'm certain that when Hugh Freeze lives LIberty for his next job in the SEC or ACC, LIberty will hire Briles...

I don’t get why we can’t hire Briles?  It’s the daddy that got in trouble not the son right?  So we are going to blame the son for the sins of his father or what?

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, Jonnyeagle said:

I don’t get why we can’t hire Briles?  It’s the daddy that got in trouble not the son right?  So we are going to blame the son for the sins of his father or what?

I was talking about Art above, not Kendall--he will get some support for the job if and when it opens, I bet.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, meanJewGreen said:

I never really commented on the Phil Bennet hire but I was against any of those Baylor staffers having jobs in college sports again. 

Overseeing a culture of deceit around sexual assault is way different than the recruiting violations of Freeze and Sampson. 

So you don't support PB being here?

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, meanJewGreen said:

The obsession with Briles on this board is honestly a bit concerning from a morality perspective. 

It could also be said that from a morality perspective the inability to forgive is also concerning. Not just in this case, but, for example, when charges were dropped against Tate Wallis, many here said basically, wish him well, just not here. I'm not in favor of Papa Briles, but we seem to have a lot of people here who like to judge others.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Honestly, there aren't many coaches out there with the coaching acumen of Art Briles.  He turned both Houston and Baylor from losers into powerhouses.  I'm not saying it's worth it to hire him, but, IMO, the guy is one of the top 5 coaches in college football this century.  And we probably wouldn't have a chance of landing anyone else in the top 50. 

This times 1,000! The only reason a top ten coach in the nation would ever step foot on our campus is because they don’t have options. We constantly talk about elevating the program by pouring more resources into it while trying to catch lightning in a bottle with our coaching hires. The next up and comer or falling star that never seem to pan out.

If there wasn’t a negative public perception about Briles he would be making over $8M a year in the Big12 or SEC right now.

Sure hiring him would come with great risk which is why you have to take steps to get out in front and mitigate those risks. You can have Briles live at Wren’s house, have chaperones with players at all times, whatever you have to do to prevent a debacle. We have the once in our lifetime opportunity to bring in a coach  who was a bona fide national coach of the year and bring hin in CHEAP. Somebody is going to take that risk but it won’t be us. We will turn our nose up and the G5 (probably Liberty) that takes the risk and goes undefeated. After the initial weeks-long uproar is over, the risk taker will see their program exceed all prior expectations and a year or two later he will be back to making millions in the P5 while we are still trying to run in rollerskates. Maybe it isn’t worth the risk, lets keep doing what we’ve been doing because it works so well. And you will say but Grant McCasland shows it can be done. Do you jnow what school employed Grant McCasland the day Art Briles was fired? You bet your ass it was Baylor, maybe he can tell us if Briles is a bad dude and that he was the one person in all of Waco that enabled rape. Or maybe he tells us that he was a scapegoat like our own defensive coordinator does, who knows. The point is, we shouldn’t worry so much about our reputation because to the world outside of Denton, our reputation already sucks Richard. You should hear how we are talked about in media markets when playing a “name” school. We are an absolute joke and I cannot see that changing in my lifetime because we like to “protect our reputation” of being a joke bur at least a clean one. Haha look at you SMU with your vacated national titles and your cheating scandal and your 34-6-1 record against us, losers.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 2
  • Downvote 2

16 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

This times 1,000! The only reason a top ten coach in the nation would ever step foot on our campus is because they don’t have options. We constantly talk about elevating the program by pouring more resources into it while trying to catch lightning in a bottle with our coaching hires. The next up and comer or falling star that never seem to pan out.

If there wasn’t a negative public perception about Briles he would be making over $8M a year in the Big12 or SEC right now.

Sure hiring him would come with great risk which is why you have to take steps to get out in front and mitigate those risks. You can have Briles live at Wren’s house, have chaperones with players at all times, whatever you have to do to prevent a debacle. We have the once in our lifetime opportunity to bring in a coach  who was a bona fide national coach of the year and bring hin in CHEAP. Somebody is going to take that risk but it won’t be us. We will turn our nose up and the G5 (probably Liberty) that takes the risk and goes undefeated. After the initial weeks-long uproar is over, the risk taker will see their program exceed all prior expectations and a year or two later he will be back to making millions in the P5 while we are still trying to run in rollerskates. Maybe it isn’t worth the risk, lets keep doing what we’ve been doing because it works so well. And you will say but Grant McCasland shows it can be done. Do you jnow what school employed Grant McCasland the day Art Briles was fired? You bet your ass it was Baylor, maybe he can tell us if Briles is a bad dude and that he was the one person in all of Waco that enabled rape. Or maybe he tells us that he was a scapegoat like our own defensive coordinator does, who knows. The point is, we shouldn’t worry so much about our reputation because to the world outside of Denton, our reputation already sucks Richard. You should hear how we are talked about in media markets when playing a “name” school. We are an absolute joke and I cannot see that changing in my lifetime because we like to “protect our reputation” of being a joke bur at least a clean one. Haha look at you SMU with your vacated national titles and your cheating scandal and your 34-6-1 record against us, losers.

You've been around here a long time...you know this is a no go here. Think of who we are...we are a school that values music, arts, education, business, and now research. We are also a very liberal-minded university, as you know already.

Briles would never get the chance to even make it to Denton before the university's student body, faculty, and female alumni would be protesting this hire. Add in the DFW media coverage that would definitely be here and it would be the fiasco that we don't want or need.

We can find better coaches out there that can still have as much of a chance at success as Art Briles would here...not to mention that Art Briles might just look at this place and also know it would be a terrible fit for him, as well, although being self aware doesn't seem like a strong characteristic of his...

• Upvote 4
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, El Paso Eagle said:

It could also be said that from a morality perspective the inability to forgive is also concerning. Not just in this case, but, for example, when charges were dropped against Tate Wallis, many here said basically, wish him well, just not here. I'm not in favor of Papa Briles, but we seem to have a lot of people here who like to judge others.

I can forgive a lot of things. Sexual assault, and presiding over a culture of sexual assault in your program isn't one. I'm sure Baylor itself wasn't innocent in this either, but as a head coach you have a certain ethical standard to uphold (and yes, I know college football coaches and politicians are essentially one in the same when it comes to ethics)

Once again though, don't get your obsession with Briles when there's plenty of other coaches who have won big who NT could hire. 

• Upvote 3
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

54 minutes ago, meanJewGreen said:

I can forgive a lot of things. Sexual assault, and presiding over a culture of sexual assault in your program isn't one. I'm sure Baylor itself wasn't innocent in this either, but as a head coach you have a certain ethical standard to uphold (and yes, I know college football coaches and politicians are essentially one in the same when it comes to ethics)

Once again though, don't get your obsession with Briles when there's plenty of other coaches who have won big who NT could hire. 

I don't think they are talking about Art but his son Kendall the OC at Arkansas.

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 2

10 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Name one, just one who could or has outcoached Art Briles at the FBS level that would accept our head coaching job.

Briles can't win without cheating and/or enabling rapists, and UNT doesn't have the pull to keep out of trouble like former SWC schools do, and we aren't a small town Texas High School where the whole community will turn a blind eye.

For me to consider Art a top 50 coach, he'd have to prove he can do it without running dirty. For me to consider him for a HC position, he'd have to at least show contrition. Until then, he can rot.

Non-starter. Get new material.

Also, I love how people here have cracked the code on hiring Art Briles as the only thing that can and will work. Why are we even paying WB, when clearly all you need is HIRE ART BRILES - AUTOWIN!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

17 minutes ago, Monkeypox said:

Briles can't win without cheating and/or enabling rapists, and UNT doesn't have the pull to keep out of trouble like former SWC schools do, and we aren't a small town Texas High School where the whole community will turn a blind eye.

For me to consider Art a top 50 coach, he'd have to prove he can do it without running dirty. For me to consider him for a HC position, he'd have to at least show contrition. Until then, he can rot.

Non-starter. Get new material.

Also, I love how people here have cracked the code on hiring Art Briles as the only thing that can and will work. Why are we even paying WB, when clearly all you need is HIRE ART BRILES - AUTOWIN!

Say what you want about what did or didn’t happen at Baylor. We’ve hired two former assistants from that time and nobody revolted. And if Briles takes the Texas job in 2014 after Mack is let go, none if this ever comes to light. Ever hear of Kendall Sanders and Montrell Meander? Texas is not cleaner but they have better influence in the judicial system.

And this is hammered time and again, how exactly did he enable rapists but not a single assistant did? Tell me how Briles himself enabled any single rape. That Boise transfer never played a down at Baylor and Oakman was found not guilty. Oakman was accused of rape but his counsel proved it was consensual in a court of law.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

...not to mention that Art Briles might just look at this place and also know it would be a terrible fit for him, as well, although being self aware doesn't seem like a strong characteristic of his...

Agree. The reality is Art would probably rather do whatever it is that he’s doing right now than coach North Texas. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 1

2 minutes ago, Mean Green Matt said:

Agree. The reality is Art would probably rather do whatever it is that he’s doing right now than coach North Texas. 

But that is ok because North Texas has the inside track on AP college coach of the year winners who have had their team ranked in the top ten. And the best part of it is, nobody else knows about them but us. We can’t lose.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

But that is ok because North Texas has the inside track on AP college coach of the year winners who have had their team ranked in the top ten. And the best part of it is, nobody else knows about them but us. We can’t lose.

According to some

8a9ff3cb-6e43-4b96-890a-feca80546558_tex

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

Say what you want about what did or didn’t happen at Baylor. We’ve hired two former assistants from that time and nobody revolted. And if Briles takes the Texas job in 2014 after Mack is let go, none if this ever comes to light. Ever hear of Kendall Sanders and Montrell Meander? Texas is not cleaner but they have better influence in the judicial system.

And this is hammered time and again, how exactly did he enable rapists but not a single assistant did? Tell me how Briles himself enabled any single rape. That Boise transfer never played a down at Baylor and Oakman was found not guilty. Oakman was accused of rape but his counsel proved it was consensual in a court of law.

You know things are going great for your program when someone is advocating for Art Briles to come out of retirement to coach here…

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, ADLER said:

Another high risk - high reward candidate would be Leon Sandcastle. His name is huge in this market, he's incredibly popular with recruits, but the jury is still out on his coaching ability.

I'd say things can't get worse, but I thought that with Dickey.

There are those saying Prime could be a target for higher level jobs due to his recruiting abilities

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Tom McKrackin said:

He can't.  That's part of the problem is that our people don't understand how difficult it is to get the right guy at the helm.  The probably never will.

Are you kidding me!?  We are fans of North Texas. Believe me, if anyone understands how difficult it is to get the right guy at the helm it is us. 

• Upvote 2