Briles affiliates

GreenGang45

8 minutes ago, GreenGang45 said:

I get we all want to win. But I don’t think it’s no way UNT would hire briles, baby briles or even lebby.. It would cause an uproar with the students and bring us a lot of unwanted attention. 

Why so?  Why can do many schools like Houston who hired Kelvin Sampson after he had been clearly indicted or say High Freeze at Liberty.  There are very few coaches who can win and move the pendulums where they need to.be.  If we are not serious about winning then WTF are we paying someone 2.5 million a year?

• Upvote 7

25 minutes ago, GreenGang45 said:

I get we all want to win. But I don’t think it’s no way UNT would hire briles, baby briles or even lebby.. It would cause an uproar with the students and bring us a lot of unwanted attention. 

UnT already had a contract offer to lebby. Before he went to ole miss. 🤷‍♂️

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Jonnyeagle said:

Why so?  Why can do many schools like Houston who hired Kelvin Sampson after he had been clearly indicted or say High Freeze at Liberty.  There are very few coaches who can win and move the pendulums where they need to.be.  If we are not serious about winning then WTF are we paying someone 2.5 million a year?

Exactly. I want the best HC out there and if that’s Briles or baby Briles, I’m fine with that

• Upvote 7

I don’t understand why people automatically think no other coach can win but Briles… like he’s the only option if we want to win, and any other option is surely prolonging the losing.   It’s short-sighted & flippant.

Briles couldn’t even drop down to 3A East TX football without issue.   Just put Art Briles behind you.  

Kendall….   I dunno.  He would need a short leash.

• Upvote 7
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 4

I go back and forth on Briles. I honestly don’t know where I stand. On one hand I don’t understand why the NCAA with hours and hours of investigations basically cleared Briles but everyone whose investigation effort consisted of reading media and social media have come to the conclusion that he’s the devil. No one really knows. Unless you have your mind made up on him….then you know for sure. 🤷🏼‍♂️

https://apnews.com/article/sports-college-football-baylor-bears-football-b7d5a7ba4a7b1377dbf373dc41ca97ad

Was the football team scapegoated for a larger issue on campus?

https://www.outkick.com/baylor-used-a-racist-smear-of-black-football-players-to-cancel-art-briles/

I just try to be consistent when I judge something. If we’re skeptical and think “no way Briles didn’t know what was going on,” why don’t we think the same thing about Phil Bennet? He was the DC. Those were his players. Why does he get a pass? Because he’s just a sweet old man? Why don’t we think “no way Bennett didn’t know what was going on.” But we have no problem with Bennett being here. 

Having said all that….even if Briles didn’t do what they say he did, it doesn’t matter. That truth about the situation has been crowd sourced and the verdict is in. I don’t think the negative publicity is worth it. UNT can’t handle that heat. And it would be immense. The story will be "look how pathetic and desperate UNT is....they are selling their souls." Public opinion unfortunately matters here and I'm not so sure conferences wouldn't hold it against us. Imagine the pressure to not let UNT in because we are now willing to do dirty things to move up. Won't be good.

Plus he’s not the only good coach out there. 

Edited by TheColonyEagle
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

Wasn't Briles just recently cleared of wrong doing or did I dream that?

He was by the letter of the NCAA law. So “technically” yes. 

I find it strange that an entity like the NCAA who is always being accused of protecting the big boys and letting them get away with things wouldn’t take that opportunity to nail someone that is out of the sport anyway. Would’ve been a great opportunity for the NCAA to take that moral high ground and bring the hammer and say “look how tough we are!”.  But they didn’t. 🤷🏼‍♂️

I understand the attraction to both Briles based on their past success on the field and the system they run, but my goodness, we act like the sun rises and falls with the Briles.  There are a number of good/great candidates out there that don't come with the baggage the Briles name brings.

How to Internationalize Your Resume – SEASCareers | SEAS Office of Career  Services | The George Washington University

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

He was by the letter of the NCAA law. So “technically” yes. 

I find it strange that an entity like the NCAA who is always being accused of protecting the big boys and letting them get away with things wouldn’t take that opportunity to nail someone that is out of the sport anyway. Would’ve been a great opportunity for the NCAA to take that moral high ground and bring the hammer and say “look how tough we are!”.  But they didn’t. 🤷🏼‍♂️

If it was a non-P-5 school they would have but the P-5 are exempt.

14 hours ago, GreenGang45 said:

I call bullshit. If they are the best candidate and are cleared by the NCAA the we need to stop worrying about what some small group of SJW's that want to yell might say. I'm not saying to break rules but UNT needs to rethink the way it manages the program and get someone in to be competitive.

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

14 hours ago, Jonnyeagle said:

What Sampson did is actually legal in today's NCAA but yeah, our AD basically said he wanted a Rockets assistant and got Sampson.

UNT should get one of the Mavericks' assistant coaches and give him the keys to the basketball program if a new basketball coach is needed again. You have nothing to lose.

53 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I understand the attraction to both Briles based on their past success on the field and the system they run, but my goodness, we act like the sun rises and falls with the Briles.  There are a number of good/great candidates out there that don't come with the baggage the Briles name brings.

How to Internationalize Your Resume – SEASCareers | SEAS Office of Career  Services | The George Washington University

The obsession with Briles on this board is honestly a bit concerning from a morality perspective. 

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

14 hours ago, Jonnyeagle said:

UH hiring Kelvin Sampson is not even comparable to someone hiring Art Briles. Kelvin Sampson constantly ignored the NCAA's rules on contacting recruits and other violations. Briles oversaw and allowed football players to rape and assault Baylor coeds just to be able to win at football--and so did the Baylor leadership and the entire Waco media and police department. If it hadn't been for Baylor winning the Big XII, the UT media machine doesn't send Texas Monthly to Waco to find dirt on their program...and man, did they ever find dirt. 

Briles has always been dirty--his Stephenville HS days were always thought to be full of steroid users and all that came with that. He parlayed that into a job at Tech, then to UH as a successful head coach. 

Winning with someone like that will never happen here. We don't care about winning with nice guys. There's zero chance that we hire a known scumbag to try and win at football. You have to get that out of your mind.

Kendall Briles is a different story--I think he and Harrell will have a lot of support here IF we fire SL, which I'm nowhere near being certain we will do. I guarantee that Wren Baker and Neal Smatresk don't want to do this--the cost is really high and we run a lot of our athletic department expenditures by known costs, not opportunity costs lost. I'm telling you again that SL is probably safe here with 4 wins. I think that is the hurdle he has to get over. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

31 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I call bullshit. If they are the best candidate and are cleared by the NCAA the we need to stop worrying about what some small group of SJW's that want to yell might say. I'm not saying to break rules but UNT needs to rethink the way it manages the program and get someone in to be competitive.

Oh man,  if he were hired here, I guarantee you it would not be a "small group".   It would be a very, very large group, including myself.
I can walk away from NT football and take my money to GMac and the B-ball team for sure.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Why does Art Briles keep coming up? He grew up with and played football with my cousins. We were just talking about him this summer at a family reunion. His mother, a great lady, was my 2nd grade teacher. His brother Eddie, now deceased, was universally liked by everyone in the community. As for Art himself let me just say never, never, never, never, never, never, never ever consider him and please give it up.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, meanJewGreen said:

The obsession with Briles on this board is honestly a bit concerning from a morality perspective. 

If we're going to be morally pure....why did we hire his Defensive Coordinator? I'm assuming we should've been concerned from a morality perspective when we hired Phil Bennett?

Am I the only one in the world that finds it surprising that the HC knew what was going on, the OC knew what was going on....but the DC? He didn't go to meetings? Did he go to practice? or did he get the answer he wanted and said "whew, good enough for me!...Let's go win another Big 12 Championship!" Because that seems to be what Briles is guilty of. I mean...he should've done more.

So Sam Ukwuachu and Shawn Oakman both transferred to Baylor to play for Phil Bennett's defense. Did Phil not have a say? Was he forced to take these two monsters against his brave stand? Or did he go along and then clutch the pearls later when he found out the guy that was dismissed from Boise State due to erratic behavior did something bad when he got to Baylor.

I'm not defending Art Briles or pouncing on Phil Bennet....but I guess I don't understand the selective moral righteousness and why one is guilty beyond a reasonable doubt and the other gets the benefit of the doubt.

or

Maybe Phil Bennett is telling the truth when he says:

"I told [other Baylor staffers] it was a fraud setup from the get-go," said Bennett, who claimed he wasn't allowed to have an attorney with him or record the session. The investigators "were so out of touch with the structure of college football it was comical."

In his interview with the Star-Telegram, Bennett said never did a member of the Baylor coaching staff try to suppress or hide allegations of sexual assault against members of the football program.

"The biggest thing was the Pepper Hamilton report put there was that all of the coaches knew in the 'Finding of Fact .' That threw all of us in the same hopper; that we were concealing something," said Bennett, adding that a PR firm hired by Baylor "was going to hatchet everybody."

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/24133988/former-baylor-dc-phil-bennett-addresses-sexual-assault-scandal

Do we believe Phil Bennet? or is he lying? 

Edited by TheColonyEagle
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

Honestly, there aren't many coaches out there with the coaching acumen of Art Briles.  He turned both Houston and Baylor from losers into powerhouses.  I'm not saying it's worth it to hire him, but, IMO, the guy is one of the top 5 coaches in college football this century.  And we probably wouldn't have a chance of landing anyone else in the top 50. 

• Upvote 2