DRC Sunday column: It's time to ask the question — How much does UNT miss Graham Harrell?

Brett Vito

Just now, TheColonyEagle said:

“UNT was 23-17 with Harrell”

As for these that want GH here as our next coach….23-17 doesn’t excite me. I hope we aim higher. 

Are you interested in Scott Frost if he becomes available?   A young guy with some head coaching experience is my preference.  I just think he bit off more than he can chew at Nebraska.  Cornhusker arrogance in a league much tougher than the Big 12 was is going to make that job extremely tough.  If you can actually coach and pick good defense talent recruiter you could dominate at UNT.

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

Are you interested in Scott Frost if he becomes available?   A young guy with some head coaching experience is my preference.  I just think he bit off more than he can chew at Nebraska.  Cornhusker arrogance in a league much tougher than the Big 12 was is going to make that job extremely tough.  If you can actually coach and pick good defense talent recruiter you could dominate at UNT.

Absolutely interested in Scott Frost. 

• Upvote 4

59 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

“UNT was 23-17 with Harrell”

As for these that want GH here as our next coach….23-17 doesn’t excite me. I hope we aim higher. 

Agreed. As I recall there were plenty of people complaining about his late game collapses and inability to convert on 3rd and short. The one constant has always been SL…GH may have been the best coordinator under SL but he was far from perfect

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

12 minutes ago, wardly said:

In high school I was interested in  the Homecoming Queen but she wasn't interested in me. Sorta like some names that are popping up as Seth's replacement.

If the Homecoming Queen already has a date, you're right.
If she just got dumped a few weeks before the big dance, you wouldn't be out of your mind to go talk to her, because I bet she still wants to be there!    Frost's seat isnt as hot as Littrell's (at least, it shouldn't be), but the Husker fanbase is still grasping onto glory days that have passed them by.  They might do something stupid.

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, wardly said:

In high school I was interested in  the Homecoming Queen but she wasn't interested in me. Sorta like some names that are popping up as Seth's replacement.

If you never asked, maybe she actually was. Being turned down by these guys does not have to be something done in public. Hopefully we would at least have "our people" contact "their people".

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, wardly said:

I didn't word that right...

"absolutely interested in CONTACTING Scott Frost" (assuming he gets fired)

Edited by TheColonyEagle
  • Upvote 1

18 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Graham Harrell could script a game plan to expose any defense based on film.  While he was here, we would score quickly & a lot early.

But man, when the other defense made adjustments to whatever we had cooking, Harrell was stuck & we’d either barely hold on, or cough up a lead & lose.

^^^^^^^
This

• Upvote 1

Yes, I think Graham Harrell had obvious warts. We were obviously much better with him, and I'd bet we'd still be much better with him. I'd reckon GH understands/knows the Air Raid, particularly from a QB perspective, better than a LOT of coaches. 

Now, I'm not in a hurry to get Graham back, but I think both the program and Graham would be better if he'd stayed. But coaches don't turn down the type of opportunity he got to go to USC. It's just a REALLY quick rise for him. Oh well. Not gonna keep crying about it.

Back on topic, is this really the question that was on everyone's mind after the game Saturday?  Not me.  @Brett Vitohow about asking SL about the lack of fire from the team in big games?  Hold his feet to the fire instead of letting him get away with "coach-speak".

2 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Back on topic, is this really the question that was on everyone's mind after the game Saturday?  Not me.  @Brett Vitohow about asking SL about the lack of fire from the team in big games?  Hold his feet to the fire instead of letting him get away with "coach-speak".

Vito likes his access.  He needs that access to make a living.  He has to be very careful with how he criticizes the team/Littrell or Littrell won't take any of his questions and try to limit his interactions with him & the team.

Honestly, if I were Vito and Littrell kept talking to me the way he does, I might ramp it up.    Vito is the one winning awards for his writing.   He actually has the high ground.   Littrell is drowning.