Worse Coached UNT Game I Have Ever Seen!!!

Cooke County Kid

I brought 4 friends to last night"s game, none of them UNT grads.  I was hoping they would see a good game and want to come back.  What a cruel joke, that was the worse game I believe I have ever seen UNT/NTSU ever play and I have been to lots of them.  From the git go, it was almost laughable.  I don't know if you know it or not but we played against UAB's second team most of the night.   Our offensive scoring is offensive, 18 points in two games, really.  You are down by 24 and we run the ball up the middle over and over again, to no avail but we don't stop.  When the quarterbacks threw the ball none of the passes were on target, pitiful.  

I have been a supporter of SL since the beginning, he has to go and go now.  The only thing waiting will do is make us look weaker and weaker.  We will be lucky if we stay in C-USA, I am not wealthy but I will give money to help buy out SL's contract!

GO MEAN GREEN!!!
WIN GAMES!!!!!!!

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

Only at North Texas can we compare epic losses to the most epic loss of all time in modern college football history. 
BTW, this game doesn’t even compare to Dickey’s 54-2 loss here to Tulsa, Dodge’s 77-20 loss at Rice (when the Owls stopped trying in the 4th qtr), or the alpha dog of losses, the Portland State 66-7 loss at home versus a spare FCS opponent on our Homecoming.

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreen22 said:

Must not have seen the Port State game. As bad as last night was, multiply it be 2 and you MAYBE arrive at the level of incompetence that was shown that night. Last night was BAD. But losing to an FCS team by 60 was WORSE. 

I was just as angry when I left last night, I think you hit a certain level and peak.  PS was brutal but we were used abused and kicked to the curb by UAB.

4 hours ago, southsideguy said:

I was just as angry when I left last night, I think you hit a certain level and peak.  PS was brutal but we were used abused and kicked to the curb by UAB.

Again, people on here never give UAB any credit for being a great CUSA team. They are extremely well-coached, dominate teams like ours on the lines, and win the turnover battle. Basically, our program is 180 degrees from where they have been. It was as obvious as could be to anyone not wearing green glasses or drinking the koolaid before the season. I can’t get over how many people on here were just certain we would beat them because we were playing them here and had these great ranked classes in recruiting. We have no lines, no QB, and now we have no receivers. 

I’ll say this—we need to lose as many games as possible. It sucks to say this, but SL beating Rice, UTEP, and someone else gets him another year…and that’s the absolute worst thing that can happen for us now. Our players have quit on him when we play anyone who’s no dog$hit.

• Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

4 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

Only at North Texas can we compare epic losses to the most epic loss of all time in modern college football history. 
BTW, this game doesn’t even compare to Dickey’s 54-2 loss here to Tulsa, Dodge’s 77-20 loss at Rice (when the Owls stopped trying in the 4th qtr), or the alpha dog of losses, the Portland State 66-7 loss at home versus a spare FCS opponent on our Homecoming.

Good post.  But this post is causing me to re-examine my sports life.  I've been to every single one of those disasters PLUS OU's 79-10 thrashing in the Dodge Ball debut in 2007, a 65-0 mauling by Texas and all manner of SMU disasters (sure I'm missing a few others).  Crap, what am I doing with my life?  haha   

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 2

8 minutes ago, vpackrats said:

Good post.  But this post is causing me to re-examine my sports life.  I've been to every single one of those disasters PLUS OU's 79-10 thrashing in the Dodge Ball debut in 2007, a 65-0 mauling by Texas and all manner of SMU disasters (sure I'm missing a few others).  Crap, what am I doing with my life?  haha   

You know that’s a great question!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, vpackrats said:

While we're taking a stroll down misery lane, might I add the 72-0 dismantling we received at the hands of Nevada in 1991 - speaking of poorly-coached games.

Ah, the joys of being a Mean Green fan...  🙃

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Cooke County Kid said:

I brought 4 friends to last night"s game, none of them UNT grads.  I was hoping they would see a good game and want to come back.  What a cruel joke, that was the worse game I believe I have ever seen UNT/NTSU ever play and I have been to lots of them.  From the git go, it was almost laughable.  I don't know if you know it or not but we played against UAB's second team most of the night.   Our offensive scoring is offensive, 18 points in two games, really.  You are down by 24 and we run the ball up the middle over and over again, to no avail but we don't stop.  When the quarterbacks threw the ball none of the passes were on target, pitiful.  

I have been a supporter of SL since the beginning, he has to go and go now.  The only thing waiting will do is make us look weaker and weaker.  We will be lucky if we stay in C-USA, I am not wealthy but I will give money to help buy out SL's contract!

GO MEAN GREEN!!!
WIN GAMES!!!!!!!

You should of taken them to Applebee’s instead.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 3

17 hours ago, southsideguy said:

i think we forget easily...

Nothing will ever come close to the PS game... 

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

It's extremely embarrassing, yet, despite all of that, there will still be people defending Littrell and what we just saw. 

3 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I don't know that I've seen anyone publicly supporting Littrell over the past few days.   His seat is boiling.

Go on Social Media. One of the biggest defenders is former player Cody Spencer. But it might be the stupidest argument I have ever seen, basically saying that if you didn't go pro in the sport, you can't have an opinion on the matter. There are so many more "old hats" arguing that the fault is the players and not the coaches. Yes, we have fans like that. 

Edited by UNT Texas Hooligan

OK - 

Someone needs to explain to me (who's NOT the greatest offensive mind in the world, but...) what is the theory behind this offense?  Yes, everyone is losing their mind with "lets do an inside hand-off right up the middle for no yards, every....single....first....down.... Yes, the defense is going to clue in on that, after the second time you try it...And you know who else will?  Every single opponent that watches tape...   I know I might be dumbing it down a bit, but it just seems we have very little plays in our book.   Maybe there's a little bit of an off-tackle run kinda thing?   But not sure Ive seen any type of "sweep", a counter-play, play action, or a decent pitch play.  These are just fundamental run plays, that I'm not sure I've seen or seen done very well at all.... Is our running game playbook THAT thin?   And when we go in for what feels like every single 4th and 1 (and, NEVER make it...seriously, we must own some kinda record on that...) do we have a scheme for that, like put in all the big guys, or do we just leave everyone out there from the previous play?  Just pooch kick if we dont have the ability or confidence they can covert...

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

Go on Social Media. One of the biggest defenders is former player Cody Spencer. But it might be the stupidest argument I have ever seen, basically saying that if you didn't go pro in the sport, you can't have an opinion on the matter. There are so many more "old hats" arguing that the fault is the players and not the coaches. Yes, we have fans like that. 

I think maybe Cody is upset about the social media commentary, and how bad it is right now.    I bet if you cornered him off-the-record, he'd agree with everything being said though.   He was a great football player for the Mean Green.   He knows what great play looks like.  He knows what uninspired, lost play looks like too.

• Upvote 1

Was he at the game Saturday?  I don't know how you could define SL.  It is job to win and we were totally beaten down.   PB is on the field talking to the refs and his players.  SL is  pacing the sidelines looking at the ground.   Maybe he is thinking of a realtors name he can use to sell his home.   If he is going to act like that on the SL I rather he be in the press box watching the game.  You don't think the players pick up him and really being there?  Heck I was sitting in the stands and could see he no interactions with the players.

13 minutes ago, trud1966 said:

OK - 

Someone needs to explain to me (who's NOT the greatest offensive mind in the world, but...) what is the theory behind this offense?  Yes, everyone is losing their mind with "lets do an inside hand-off right up the middle for no yards, every....single....first....down.... Yes, the defense is going to clue in on that, after the second time you try it...And you know who else will?  Every single opponent that watches tape...   I know I might be dumbing it down a bit, but it just seems we have very little plays in our book.   Maybe there's a little bit of an off-tackle run kinda thing?   But not sure Ive seen any type of "sweep", a counter-play, play action, or a decent pitch play.  These are just fundamental run plays, that I'm not sure I've seen or seen done very well at all.... Is our running game playbook THAT thin?   And when we go in for what feels like every single 4th and 1 (and, NEVER make it...seriously, we must own some kinda record on that...) do we have a scheme for that, like put in all the big guys, or do we just leave everyone out there from the previous play?  Just pooch kick if we dont have the ability or confidence they can covert...

Unfortunately, did you see our QB play?   
With those awful throws, it's not wise to call pass plays, so you keep the ball in Torrey's hands.   I wish they could come up with some more creative ways to do so... like you're saying, move it outside, or a screen pass or something.

13 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I think maybe Cody is upset about the social media commentary, and how bad it is right now.    I bet if you cornered him off-the-record, he'd agree with everything being said though.   He was a great football player for the Mean Green.   He knows what great play looks like.  He knows what uninspired, lost play looks like too.

There's being passionate, then there's basically telling the few true fans to "Go douchebag themselves" if they bad mouth or have anything negative to say about this team or coaches because he feels like they have no idea what they are talking about just because they didn't play pro ball. Him and a few other "fans" have been leaving a bad taste in the mouths of quite a few people. Honestly, pretty much sums up the current state of this program. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, southsideguy said:

Was he at the game Saturday?  I don't know how you could define SL.  It is job to win and we were totally beaten down.   PB is on the field talking to the refs and his players.  SL is  pacing the sidelines looking at the ground.   Maybe he is thinking of a realtors name he can use to sell his home.   If he is going to act like that on the SL I rather he be in the press box watching the game.  You don't think the players pick up him and really being there?  Heck I was sitting in the stands and could see he no interactions with the players.

There was a specific play where I was completely astonished at Littrell's lack of fire:
4:24 left to go in the first.   NT is driving, down 17-0.   Deonte Simpson makes the play of the game, for sure, however, his helmet comes off!
When watching from section 205 (this play was right in front of me) in real time, it looked like he caught the ball past the sticks before his helmet came off.   Of course, he ran it in, but the play was dead when his helmet came off, so it has to come back.
The refs placed the ball 2-yards behind the 1st down marker and rolled the clock, so we're now at 4th & 2.  The refs did not review or anything.  Littrell had at least 2 TOL, if not all 3.   Littrell just lined up and tried to run the ball...

Why not take a TO there and review the play?     Was there a penalty on Simpson for "advancing the ball after the play was dead" or something else that would push the ball back?    Is this kind of play/spot not one that can be challenged?  Or, did anyone record the game that can see where that spot was?  Maybe I was wrong on the spot.

All Littrell did there was chew on the Line Judge's ear a bit and that was it!   Just a give-up moment, at a very critical point.
If NT could have kept that drive alive, and maybe scored, the score is now 17-7, and it's a totally different ballgame.   It would have given the defense more time to rest, and maybe fired up the offense some.  Instead, UAB marches it all the way down the field to go up 24-0, and the game was basically over (at the beginning of the 2nd quarter).

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

There was a specific play where I was completely astonished at Littrell's lack of fire:
4:24 left to go in the first.   NT is driving, down 17-0.   Deonte Simpson makes the play of the game, for sure, however, his helmet comes off!
When watching from section 205 (this play was right in front of me) in real time, it looked like he caught the ball past the sticks before his helmet came off.   Of course, he ran it in, but the play was dead when his helmet came off, so it has to come back.
The refs placed the ball 2-yards behind the 1st down marker and rolled the clock, so we're now at 4th & 2.  The refs did not review or anything.  Littrell had at least 2 TOL, if not all 3.   Littrell just lined up and tried to run the ball...

Why not take a TO there and review the play?     Was there a penalty on Simpson for "advancing the ball after the play was dead" or something else that would push the ball back?    Is this kind of play/spot not one that can be challenged?  Or, did anyone record the game that can see where that spot was?  Maybe I was wrong on the spot.

All Littrell did there was chew on the Line Judge's ear a bit and that was it!   Just a give-up moment, at a very critical point.
If NT could have kept that drive alive, and maybe scored, the score is now 17-7, and it's a totally different ballgame.   It would have given the defense more time to rest, and maybe fired up the offense some.  Instead, UAB marches it all the way down the field to go up 24-0, and the game was basically over (at the beginning of the 2nd quarter).

I just watched the play.  He was definitely short of the sticks when he lost his helmet.

Maybe you are saying he should have challenged the spot anyway, but he would have lost the challenge.