So what would you do?

Hunter Green

If any of us were making this tough decision, who replaces Littrell short term? Who replaces Blosch as OC? The play calling is middle school ridiculous. The discipline on this team is ridiculous. Who is capable of steering the Titanic until a rescue ship arrives? PC as OC? Bennett as interim? If he doesn't want it, then who is capable? What a dilemma.  Wren will definitely earn his money on this one.

• Upvote 1
  • RV 1
  • Downvote 1

17 minutes ago, Hunter Green said:

If any of us were making this tough decision, who replaces Littrell short term? Who replaces Blosch as OC? The play calling is middle school ridiculous. The discipline on this team is ridiculous. Who is capable of steering the Titanic until a rescue ship arrives? PC as OC? Bennett as interim? If he doesn't want it, then who is capable? What a dilemma.  Wren will definitely earn his money on this one.

I mean, I understand what you are saying. But ultimately it doesn’t matter. This season is shot, and few (if any) on the current staff will return.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

There is nothing tough about it, its real easy until the you hire the new staff, the current assistant head coach is put in place to figure it out. I believe that is Tommy Mainord.

Wren's tough part is finding the next head coach. 

There is no salvaging this season. Time to make a statement that with all of the resources and pay grade available, this type of mediocrity  will no longer be tolerated. Hell, let Shanbour call plays the rest of the season for all I care. Littrell needs to be fired after this debacle.

• Upvote 7

Bennett would seem like a no brainer but probably better to give someone else on the staff an opportunity at an extended interview. You never know what you might find. I would go with Cobbs. I get the total lack of experience but worst thing that could happen is he loses every game. Which we may do anyway. 

• Upvote 2

At this point I force Littrell to take over playcalling again amd have Bloesch focus exclusively on the offensive line. I feel like that gives us the best chance to win. Bloesch was WAY over his head with playcalling and you could see the difference when Littrell took over.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

If that doesn’t work, we have Phil Bennett call Art Briles to take over immediately after LaTech so he has a bye week to implement a basic system before we go upset Mizzou for the bloodthirsty media. I mean if we roll out there as is, we will just get laughed at and I prefer the boos to the laughter. We’ve been a joke far too long

• Upvote 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

On 9/19/2021 at 10:03 AM, KingDL1 said:

There is nothing tough about it, its real easy until the you hire the new staff, the current assistant head coach is put in place to figure it out. I believe that is Tommy Mainord.

Wren's tough part is finding the next head coach. 

Precisely.   Bennett likely doesn't want the interim tag, and heck, if Littrell is fired, he'll probably leave after the season himself.

Mainord is loyal to Littrell as well, so he may not want it either... but I bet he'd take it on to finish out the season.  He may get the guys to play for him.    

9 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

NT again is highly unlikely to terminate Littrell or for that matter any coach in season.   

That is not going to change no matter how many times the same topic is brought up on the board. 

In the past I would say make the change as soon as you can to get ahead of the recruiting; but with the transfer portal there is not the same rush.

• Upvote 1

I would do something that shows that UNT is serious about our football program and send the message that mediocrity won't be tolerated. We'll more than likely get beat handily next week and be 1-3 going into the bye week with 3 tough teams on the other side. What's the point of trying to salvage this season when we're staring at a 1-6 start. Coaches and players can't look at it that way, but the AD has to be a little more objective and take emotion out of it. Phil Bennett, Tommy Mainord, Patrick Cobbs....it doesn't matter. A change needs to be made after the La Tech game...give the interim extra time to organize things.

Then I would be opening up my desk and pulling out my list and start feeling out some agents...

• Thanks 1

Starting the season at 1 and 6 is a very real possibility. Finishing at 2/3 wins is in the conversation. When does 'Wren' pull the plug......I think after the season. This definitely is a negative on his resume even though he didn't hire SL he is responsible for the current buy out.

Then we start all over again...depressing.

I would not make any changes yet. Another blow out lose to a G5 or 6 losses I would fire him.  I would be laying the groundwork for announcing the next coach right after the last game. I would be back channeling P5 coaches that are on the chopping block that  have had G5 success. Norvell ,  Brown , Brohm would be coaches to watch. I would also contact Charlie Strong. 

Edited by Wag Tag
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, RBP79 said:

Starting the season at 1 and 6 is a very real possibility. Finishing at 2/3 wins is in the conversation. When does 'Wren' pull the plug......I think after the season. This definitely is a negative on his resume even though he didn't hire SL he is responsible for the current buy out.

Then we start all over again...depressing.

1-6 has always been the most probable reality, even before the season started. After FCS spare, these next 6 opponents have programs MUCH further ahead of us. Maybe we can compete with Marshall at home, but after seeing what SMU and UAB have done to us, I doubt it. LT, Mizzou, and Liberty will murder us if we roll out offensive execution like we have seen the last two weeks.

SL's entire job status will depend on how we do against the Murderer's Row of Rice, UTEP, USM, and FIU. UTSA at the end will be downright humbling here in the season finale.

• Downvote 2

5 hours ago, All About UNT said:

Something to consider on firing Seth mid-season.  Do we want another Chico situation where he is going around and trying to convince all of the players to lobby the AD for him to have a chance at the HC position?  Remember how annoying that was?  

I think that was RV's fault for allowing that. I think RV let Chico kiss his fat ass and liked it.  That situation does not need to exist and should not.