I trust Wren Baker.

WanderingEagle

On 9/20/2021 at 6:57 AM, Mean Green Matt said:

Unfortunately there is a big difference between Wren Baker reaching what he believes to be the right decision and Wren Baker having enough money to execute on it. 

I have no idea what we can or can't afford, but there's no way Littrell is back if we don't win at least 5 games. Sticking with Littrell after 3 straight 4 win seasons would be far more expensive in the long run than biting the bullet and buying him out at the end of the season. I trust Wren and our high level donors understand this and will make the correct decision. 

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, Mean Green Matt said:

My point was neither an indictment nor a defense of Baker. But it is reality. We don’t have many donors and this is going to be a much tougher contract to buy out than Dan Mccarney. 

I don't think so.

McCarney's buyout was fully guaranteed.  McCarney was done with football after RV fired him, so NT was on the hook for every single dollar.

Baker restructured Littrell's deal to where NT is only paying the difference between his next salary and what he makes here.    So if Littrell happens to get an OC position somewhere making, say $700k, then instead of having to pay him $1.7mil/yr, NT only owes him $1mil/yr.   Incentives are obviously thrown out the window, so he wont be owed the $2mil/yr.

13 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I don't think so.

McCarney's buyout was fully guaranteed.  McCarney was done with football after RV fired him, so NT was on the hook for every single dollar.

Baker restructured Littrell's deal to where NT is only paying the difference between his next salary and what he makes here.    So if Littrell happens to get an OC position somewhere making, say $700k, then instead of having to pay him $1.7mil/yr, NT only owes him $1mil/yr.   Incentives are obviously thrown out the window, so he wont be owed the $2mil/yr.

I really don't think after this he will be a shoe in for a P5 coordinator position.  You'd think that would be where the fall back would be to, but our offense is atrocious.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Mean Green Matt said:

I really don't think after this he will be a shoe in for a P5 coordinator position.  You'd think that would be where the fall back would be to, but our offense is atrocious.

Yeah, but he's proven his acumen with offense-only responsibilities at several P5's with success before.   If not a full-blow coordinator, he'll get some kind of "RB coach/run-game coordinator" job somewhere.  His agent will see to that.

• Upvote 1

On 9/22/2021 at 9:45 AM, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

That would also mean, we have our 4th set of new coordinators in 2022. That’s insanely bad because the majority would’ve been labeled as fired…

Not following.  I expect Bennett to be here next year.  Either way, if SL is replaced, the new coach is going to be bringing in his own system and coordinators.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I don't think so.

So what would keep SL from saying to P5 head coach, “Hey, pay me like $200k, as I will get $1.5million from North Texas for the next couple of years, then we can figure out what to do after that…”? Just curious…

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

So what would keep SL from saying to P5 head coach, “Hey, pay me like $200k, as I will get $1.5million from North Texas for the next couple of years, then we can figure out what to do after that…”? Just curious…

Not a good look for him early on as that dollar amount gets published at most places.  Then, after NT is done paying, the new school will try and keep that # down.

Plus, Littrell’s agent is Jimmy Sexton.   He wants to get Seth top top dollar, always.

9 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Not a good look for him early on as that dollar amount gets published at most places.  Then, after NT is done paying, the new school will try and keep that # down.

Plus, Littrell’s agent is Jimmy Sexton.   He wants to get Seth top top dollar, always.

I would also think that if Seth was found to take a job well below market value, UNT would have a good case not to pay him the full amount.