Has Wren Fired a Head Coach Here?

BillySee58

He has. Softball coach for example (didn't really resign, that was just put there to look good). The guy he hired after is nothing short of a revelation. I also think the womens golf coach had been let go. Still your worry is not unfounded. What he has never done to my knowledge - no matter how obvious it was that it was necessary -  is fire a coach during the season (which is why it never looks like a firing). In the Benford case that was unbelievably frustrating.

I have little doubt that if this team wins 3 games or less this season, he will fire SL. But I am very afraid that he will not pull the trigger until the end of the season. It is also to no small degree WB who dug a financial hole by paying a coach that never won a championship as if he was better than any other coach in the conference. Sadly, looking at how fast realignment is moving, I fear NT cannot afford to wait firing him till the end of the season, so WB needs to get over his usual ways.

The next games on the docket are: @ LaTech (his best chance at anything before middle of the season I think) then @ Missouri and then home vs Marshall and Liberty. Scary. Unless this thing improves fast, WB will have plenty of opportunities to give SL the boot.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 3

20 minutes ago, outoftown said:

He has. Softball coach for example. The guy he hired after is nothing short of a revelation. What he has never done to my knowledge - no matter how obvious it was that it was necessary -  is fire a coach during the season. In the Benford case that was unbelievably frustrating.

I have little doubt that if this team wins 3 games or less this season, he will fire SL. But I am very afraid that he will not pull the trigger until the end of the season. It is also to no small degree WB who dug a financial hole by paying a coach that never won a championship as if he was better than any other coach in the conference. Sadly, looking at how fast realignment is moving, I fear NT cannot afford to wait firing him till the end of the season, so WB needs to get over his usual ways.

The next games on the docket are: @ Missouri and then home vs Marshall and Liberty. Scary. Unless this thing improves fast, WB will have plenty of opportunities to give SL the boot.

As a previous undying supporter of Seth Littrell I now think this needs to be a USC-Helton kind of thing.  This team I saw last night will have a difficult time even thinking of getting to .500 this season & in his year 6 even that will not be good enough now. 

We haven’t had a coach leave Denton above .500 since just right after my student days & now (for heaven’s sake) 70 years of age has snuck up on me.  I can’t believe how fast even that happened, yet we still haven’t figure all this out in Denton.  Some on staff up there have tried to sell the point that we have, but (at least in football) we haven’t. I may be dead before we do.
“Quick, violinists, play ‘Nearer My God To...💦💦💦

🦅

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2
  • Sad 1

What’s the point of firing Seth in season?

What interim coach is going to turn this poo poo into diamonds (in Emmitt Smith voice) this late in the game?  

Who would be the interim head coach? Phil Bennett is a part-time retiree. He don’t want it. Is there an obvious candidate on this staff?

This is the worst skill position play I have ever seen at the college level. 

Why can’t North Texas win consistently?

The reasons that we used to not win, aren’t the reasons any more. 

• Upvote 5

46 minutes ago, MeanGreenZen said:

What interim coach is going to turn this poo poo into diamonds (in Emmitt Smith voice) this late in the game?  

Who would be the interim head coach? Phil Bennett is a part-time retiree. He don’t want it. Is there an obvious candidate on this staff?

Because it’s necessary when your program looks like, as you say, doo doo. Look what USC just did, you think that sent a message to their fan base & boosters??? Hell yeah it did. RV did it, so why is Wren incapable?

Edited by Got5onIt
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, outoftown said:

He has. Softball coach for example (didn't really resign, that was just put there to look good). The guy he hired after is nothing short of a revelation. I also think the womens golf coach had been let go. Still your worry is not unfounded. What he has never done to my knowledge - no matter how obvious it was that it was necessary -  is fire a coach during the season (which is why it never looks like a firing). In the Benford case that was unbelievably frustrating.

The next games on the docket are: @ LaTech (his best chance at anything before middle of the season I think) then @ Missouri and then home vs Marshall and Liberty. Scary. Unless this thing improves fast, WB will have plenty of opportunities to give SL the boot.

It’s probably too late to change the trajectory UNT is on when it comes to realignment.

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, Got5onIt said:

Because it’s necessary when your program looks like, as you say, doo doo. Look what USC just did, you think that sent a message to their fan base & boosters??? Hell yeah it did. RV did it, so why is Wren incapable?

Yes, we all remember the last ride of Mike Canales and his immortals. 

Seth hasn’t won enough and needs to go. But hell, Nick Saban ain’t coaching this bunch past 2-3 wins. Which is Seth’s fault too. 

USC is a funny comparison because it was evident to their fanbase for years that Helton couldn’t win at their level and he just now got the ax. 

Will we have some players opting out of the program this week to transfer and save a year of eligibility? This is the deadline for that, correct? 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, MeanGreenZen said:

Seth hasn’t won enough and needs to go. But hell, Nick Saban ain’t coaching this bunch past 2-3 wins. Which is Seth’s fault too. 

USC is a funny comparison because it was evident to their fanbase for years that Helton couldn’t win at their level and he just now got the ax. 

Will we have some players opting out of the program this week to transfer and save a year of eligibility? This is the deadline for that, correct? 

The era of the transfer portal is real. You need to save those kids for a transition year. And as many here believe, just need a better staff to get the most from them. The AD coming down with the hammer sends that message to players that they can have hope in this program. 

• Eye Roll 1

57 minutes ago, MeanGreenZen said:

A Seth legacy, we pay well, have good facilities, and you can recruit well at UNT. We will be attractive to other coaches. 

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, outoftown said:

Softball- I think Coach Kee's contract was up the year she left so it might be a similar situation to Benford. 

Women's Golf- The coach left for personal reasons. He was in no way fired or even in the hot seat as far as I know. 

Edited by Mrs. Esterhouse
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreenZen said:

The players looked like they have quit on him last night. If we keep him all season and put the talented players through a season-long ass whip, what condition will they be in when the next coach arrives?

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, 97and03 said:

Wren should also get shit for giving an assistant coach a two-year contact when the HC was on the hot seat. 

If you're referring to Bennett,  then I have no problem with that. He's the only one who knows what he's doing. Him and Patrick.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, outoftown said:

Figured that was the case with Kee but I don’t know the situation well enough. Thank you.

30 minutes ago, Hunter Green said:

If you're referring to Bennett,  then I have no problem with that. He's the only one who knows what he's doing. Him and Patrick.

I am and I do have a problem with it. It means we are on the hook for two buyouts. 

1 hour ago, MeanGreenZen said:

It's been evident that SL isn't the guy for years as well. Even in the "good" times, we struggled with CUSA mediocrity, put away the bad teams and got floored by competitive teams. That was telling then, and it's telling now. Nothing has really changed except the fan boy persona of our fan base is finally seeing through the smoke and mirrors. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

I doubt Littrell will be fired in season.  However, looking at the next several games, there are probably more UAB like whipping ahead.  

The team is not going to get miraculously better just because Littrell is no longer on the sidelines. 

The only hope for this year is to get the team healther and one of the QB's get much better.   

I don't see that being Aune, we have seen what he can do.   He is capable, but not likely to ever beat any mediocre to good team.  That basically leaves it up to Ruder, being that Littrell apparently has no confidence in the other QB's.