Selfless, Tough and Disciplined!!!

bstnsportsfan3

22 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Embarrassed at home.  This is beyond X-and-Os.  Something is very wrong in our locker room.  No pride.  Don't seem that hungry.

And I hate saying that.  I wanted SL to work out.  I know it's not every student athlete.  I believe some of you love Mean Green as much as I do, and are hurting with me.  I know our parents will fiercely stand by the athletes' side, and a desire to win.  But I cannot accept this in year six of a coach with the resources we provide.

My feelings 100%

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, greenminer said:

Embarrassed at home.  This is beyond X-and-Os.  Something is very wrong in our locker room.  No pride.  Don't seem that hungry.

And I hate saying that.  I wanted SL to work out.  I know it's not every student athlete.  I believe some of you love Mean Green as much as I do, and are hurting with me.  I know our parents will fiercely stand by the athletes' side, and a desire to win.  But I cannot accept this in year six of a coach with the resources we provide.

Agreed, although the Xs and Os are absolutely horrible. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, greengal said:

Who exactly do you want us to hire as coach?  I respect your opinion.

Interim to end the season.    You can’t hire anyone new right now.

Baker’s a smart guy.   I highly doubt this is catching him by surprise.  He already has a short list & will start calling those people at the end of the season.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

1 hour ago, greengal said:

Who exactly do you want us to hire as coach?  I respect your opinion.

I appreciate that.  Here's my 0.02, and that's probably over-valued:

I'm about as removed from CFB as I have ever been.  Not Mean Green, just everything else.  I honestly don't have a specific name in mind, and am excited to see other names that are being thrown around.

We are in an offensive era right now.  Find a guy that looks like he can coach a defense to rise to the challenge.  There is a ton of offensive innovation out there.  Dime a dozen.  The winning programs are finding defenses that rise to the challenge.  UAB/Clark comes to mind.  Look across all the conferences, and pay attention to what the championship programs are doing.  Holtz's name (LT) is getting tossed around.  I admire what he's doing because of his scarce resources.  But I'm not convinced 1) He can consistently win championships, nor 2) he will ever leave Ruston for anything.

We've hired up and comers.  We've hired guys out of retirement.  Guys straight out of HS.  All have lost in Denton.

In my experience (music business here), good leaders have qualities that are very intangible: how good are you at reading a room? How do you carry yourself in the face of adversity? Do you continue to evolve/experiment/invent, or do you have your Bible and stick to your ways?  These aren't things I can identify behind my computer keyboard.  Must be done in person, and an important part of Wren's job when he interviews, IMO.

Lastly, speaking about something that is really hard to explain: I have my own opinion that good coaches are excellent at reading space/pursuit...which I don't consider the same thing as X-Os-schemes, although they are related.  Being able to read space/distance/motion across the field means you'll probably be good at scheming and adjusting.  But having a good mind for X-and-Os doesn't necessarily mean you're good at reading space/pursuit.  If I had tons of time on my hands - which I don't - I would pull game tape of my finalists and look for this.

Kinda rambled there for 0.01 worth lol.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Interim to end the season.    You can’t hire anyone new right now.

Baker’s a smart guy.   I highly doubt this is catching him by surprise.  He already has a short list & will start calling those people at the end of the season.

Firing someone right now would lead to the biggest downward spiral. I think we wait until November 

• Skeptical Eagle 1

Wren should have SL in his office Monday morning, if he does not fire him he needs to call him on the carpet for his lack of leadership on the sidelines.  I remember last year I would get upset at Bean being sulking on the sidelines,   now I know where he got it from.  SL is not the leader of this team.  He just  makes some coaches speeches and collects his fat check.   

Thinking about going to Rudy's on Tuesday and asking why do we run the ball up the middle over and over and expect different results?

Edited by southsideguy
  • Upvote 1

None of the players were selfish lastnight. None were looking to pad their stats.

I think we only had three penalties .. so that's pretty disciplined. 

Finally, it was very tough to watch.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

None of the players were selfish lastnight. None were looking to pad their stats.

I think we only had three penalties .. so that's pretty disciplined. 

Finally, it was very tough to watch.

Sorry to disagree but the personal fouls penalties were killers and one point #11 had 25 yards with with a hold and late hit. We were unraveled at that point. Gotta keep our heads in it to fix it. 

3 minutes ago, Okiefan said:

Sorry to disagree but the personal fouls penalties were killers and one point #11 had 25 yards with with a hold and late hit. We were unraveled at that point. Gotta keep our heads in it to fix it. 

Go easy on correcting him. He's too busy thinking of new covid related threads to start. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Hire a flex option coach. Said it 6 years ago, I'll say it again. Establish an identity and recruit to that identity. We aren't winning national championships. We've even proven we aren't going to consistently do much vs CUSA competition in a conventional manner. Let's go down the path of ball control via the option game and try to get back to a 2013 defense in the process. 

6 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Hire a flex option coach. Said it 6 years ago, I'll say it again. Establish an identity and recruit to that identity. We aren't winning national championships. We've even proven we aren't going to consistently do much vs CUSA competition in a conventional manner. Let's go down the path of ball control via the option game and try to get back to a 2013 defense in the process. 

The problem that being a defensive focused program in Texas has to deal with is that 99% of our HS teams play 7-on-7, flag football for their offensive strategy. We don’t produce defensive players that can tackle or hit. Look at the Texas FBS colleges and you’ll notice that mostly A&M is the only one that has athletes who can even play legitimate defense. None of the current Big 12 teams have that. Even TCU doesn’t have the defensive identity like they used to. Go down to the rest of the Texas G5’s and you don’t see that either. It’s offense and more offense.

What I would love to see is a guy who can coach open, spread offenses, but also play smash mouth ball in short yardage situations. I really like what Sam Pittman has done at Arkansas—a guy who can coach a tough OL, so he also knows how to help the DLine. What we have here is a Leach acolyte and he doesn’t even coach offense worth a damn anymore that he lost Leach’s former Qb as our OC.

Then again, this place is basically cursed, so I’m not sure anyone can win here. Basically, we have now gone thru 9 head coaches since we had one that got hired away because he was a winner. And that got hired away after he finished coaching here…in 1978.

3 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

The problem that being a defensive focused program in Texas has to deal with is that 99% of our HS teams play 7-on-7, flag football for their offensive strategy. We don’t produce defensive players that can tackle or hit. Look at the Texas FBS colleges and you’ll notice that mostly A&M is the only one that has athletes who can even play legitimate defense. None of the current Big 12 teams have that. Even TCU doesn’t have the defensive identity like they used to. Go down to the rest of the Texas G5’s and you don’t see that either. It’s offense and more offense.

What I would love to see is a guy who can coach open, spread offenses, but also play smash mouth ball in short yardage situations. I really like what Sam Pittman has done at Arkansas—a guy who can coach a tough OL, so he also knows how to help the DLine. What we have here is a Leach acolyte and he doesn’t even coach offense worth a damn anymore that he lost Leach’s former Qb as our OC.

Then again, this place is basically cursed, so I’m not sure anyone can win here. Basically, we have now gone thru 9 head coaches since we had one that got hired away because he was a winner. And that got hired away after he finished coaching here…in 1978.

I understand what you're saying. It can be done. Offensive ball control is the best variable to having a good defense. It's also a nightmare offense for DCs to prepare for. 

• Upvote 1