Next Head Coach?

UNT Texas Hooligan

2 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Why in the world would a coach at a ranked G5 school go to another G5 that just got blown out? Chadwell keeps this up, he'll be a P5 coach after bowl season. He ain't coming to no UNT.

Looking at his history, Chadwell was a small school HC from 2009 to 2016 and went to Coastal in 2017 as a positions coach. He groomed there for 2 years and took over in 2019. He wasn't a big flashy coaching hire, just a program recognizing their talent.

We can't get consistency by starting over every time we want to fire a coach. It takes too long for a new coach to get "their type of guys" in and by then, 4 years have gone by, the shine is gone, and we're back to looking for a new coach. Is there nobody in our staff with prior experience who is HC material?

$$$$$

Also keep in mind Coastal' s record attendance is less than 18K   

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, southsideguy said:

How about this guy- he is making $850,000 a year now.

Jamey Chadwell

I watched his team yesterday and they came out flat and I thought they get blown out.  He regrouped his team and they won in the end.  The guy has been winning at a small school and is ranked now.

He's going P5. Wouldn't make any sense to come here unless he had ties to the university 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

1 hour ago, TheColonyEagle said:

I guess we would have to ask Jamey Chadwell. He would get a $1 million raise. I don’t know about his personal family situation but that kind of money moves the needle.

God y'all are delusional. I hadn't logged on here for over a year or even looked on here in that time for this reason. You seriously think a guy coaching the number 16th ranked team will come to C-USA when he'll have $3-$4 million P5 offers at the end of the season if he keeps this up?

Coastal Carolina's previous headcoach went 56-22 and had only 1 year of HC experience which was coaching the Omaha Knighthawks of the UFL where he went 1-3. He started at Coastal Carolina at 62 or 63 years old so he wasn't some young up-and-coming flashy hire either.

The reality is, there is no magical criteria that will get you THE GUY. Some coaches are a hit and some aren't. You can't keep limiting criteria by saying we need a this guy or a that guy or a guy with prior HC experience who's no longer HC for a reason and expect to land the next Saban. We need to move on from SL and that is the only thing that needs to be set in stone. Who takes over needs to be wide open. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

God y'all are delusional. I hadn't logged on here for over a year or even looked on here in that time for this reason. You seriously think a guy coaching the number 16th ranked team will come to C-USA when he'll have $3-$4 million P5 offers at the end of the season if he keeps this up?

Coastal Carolina's previous headcoach went 56-22 and had only 1 year of HC experience which was coaching the Omaha Knighthawks of the UFL where he went 1-3. He started at Coastal Carolina at 62 or 63 years old so he wasn't some young up-and-coming flashy hire either.

The reality is, there is no magical criteria that will get you THE GUY. Some coaches are a hit and some aren't. You can't keep limiting criteria by saying we need a this guy or a that guy or a guy with prior HC experience who's no longer HC for a reason and expect to land the next Saban. We need to move on from SL and that is the only thing that needs to be set in stone. Who takes over needs to be wide open

"Wide open"....except don't call Jamey Chadwell.

Got it.

Edited by TheColonyEagle
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1

2 minutes ago, SUMG said:

A guy who has been a HC at a G5 and a P5....and has a career record of 147-38. He took the G5 to two top 10 rankings. He's now in broadcasting. He is a West Coast guy so he may not care to come to Texas.....but wouldn't you at least give him a call?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Petersen

yes sir.....absolutely give him a call

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, SUMG said:

A guy who has been a HC at a G5 and a P5....and has a career record of 147-38. He took the G5 to two top 10 rankings. He's now in broadcasting. He is a West Coast guy so he may not care to come to Texas.....but wouldn't you at least give him a call?

And while were at it, call Tom Herman. We can't be turned down unless we ask.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

13 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

"Wide open"....except don't call Jamey Chadwell.

Got it.

You seem to be misunderstanding the difference between coaching candidate criteria and going after a specific person. It's why I said y'all are delusional. Chadwell ain't coming here. Move on and look for somebody who could view HC here as a promotion, not a step down. Alright I'm out. Have fun throwing out random names of people who are already in better situations thinking they'll head over to Denton to be your hero.

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

39 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

You seem to be misunderstanding the difference between coaching candidate criteria and going after a specific person. It's why I said y'all are delusional. Chadwell ain't coming here. Move on and look for somebody who could view HC here as a promotion, not a step down. Alright I'm out. Have fun throwing out random names of people who are already in better situations thinking they'll head over to Denton to be your hero.

Well don't just come on here and tell me I'm stupid and leave. Educate me!

I would say, yes....calling Chadwell only and then just I don't know....giving up and promoting an intern to HC because Chadwell was the only call would be dumb.

I mean....we can't call him? 

Edited by TheColonyEagle
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

oh-hell-yeah-stone-cold.gif
I didn't see this comment, but: SECONDED.   
Then, grab Josh Henson off of Jimbo's staff as OC & bring JW Walsh home as QBs coach and get this offense off the ground quick!

We probably won’t because at North Texas when we fire a coach we always seem to blame it on that coaches background and say we can’t have that kind of coach again. So I doubt we get another P5 OC as a 1st-time HC. That being said, if we’re going to reduce him to just saying he’s the same as Seth then this search is not going to be as exhaustive as it should be.

Yurcich has a far more accomplished background and has worked his way up all the way from NAIA to DII to being one of the highest paid assistants in the country and makes as much as Seth already. Need that combo of passion and football smarts because it just feels like the passion towards the job has severely waned from Seth.

• Upvote 2

Go the McCasland Route, find an established coach who has won at multiple levels, we do not need another P5 retread looking for retirement $$$ nor do we need another spoiled P5 Assistant who does know how to adjust to losing a few games and has less amenities than their previous school.

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, BillySee58 said:

We probably won’t because at North Texas when we fire a coach we always seem to blame it on that coaches background and say we can’t have that kind of coach again. So I doubt we get another P5 OC as a 1st-time HC. That being said, if we’re going to reduce him to just saying he’s the same as Seth then this search is not going to be as exhaustive as it should be.

Yurcich has a far more accomplished background and has worked his way up all the way from NAIA to DII to being one of the highest paid assistants in the country and makes as much as Seth already. Need that combo of passion and football smarts because it just feels like the passion towards the job has severely waned from Seth.

Don't let closed-minded fans bring you down!    Baker probably thinks more like you.   Keep the search open to all candidates.

Yeah, he'd be pricey too, but I bet he'd come back down here 

But bring Henson in, who's already a fantastic recruiter, bring Walsh back & let him walk into Guyer where he's a legend... watch the Denton-area recruiting blow up.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, untbowler said:

Go the McCasland Route, find an established coach who has won at multiple levels, we do not need another P5 retread looking for retirement $$$ nor do we need another spoiled P5 Assistant who does know how to adjust to losing a few games and has less amenities than their previous school.

22 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

With the way Penn State is playing he will probably get P5 offers

https://www.ydr.com/story/sports/college/penn-state/football/2021/01/08/penn-state-football-3-things-know-new-coach-mike-yurcich/6596553002/

On 9/19/2021 at 11:49 AM, SUMG said:

Agree, SUMG.👍
We don’t need a young prodigy who will win 2 years & start wearing out a fax machine (or online fax) to get a Big 10 or SEC gig.   We should have learned our lesson by now.  

Someone who wants to rebuild & win in Denton who has done all the moving around the NCAA FBS that he wants. That coach’s kids are probably grown & gone.

If that Coach has good name ID in Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana & in the Southwest that’s even better.    
Yes, that will shorten the field of prospects alright, but we need to try to not be a quick steppingstone with the next coach.
Just sayin’...

🦅❇️🦅

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, untbowler said:

Is every P5 retread looking for retirement money? Is every P5 assistant doomed to fail when they get hired to a G5?  These just seem like broad generalizations we are making because of singular failures in Denton.

What if we're ruling out someone that could be a great fit for us?

• Upvote 2

52 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

We probably won’t because at North Texas when we fire a coach we always seem to blame it on that coaches background and say we can’t have that kind of coach again. 

I mean, we kinda have to hope we're past that point, since we've failed with pretty much anybody who's ever been a coach at any level. So I agree that we have to give up on trying to find someone who fits a specific profile or ignoring someone whose profile we've hired before and not succeeded with. Otherwise, we're gonna be relegated to hiring UT's cafeteria lady or something.

At some point, I presume we'll have a master list of names. I certainly like some of the ones that people have posted, including Carthel, but at the end of the day recognize that I have NO IDEA what would work or wouldn't work (nor do I think anyone really does). 

Dennis Simmons of OU is another P5 coordinator who we should probably look at (but wouldn't under our "can't be X" criteria).