Next Head Coach?

UNT Texas Hooligan

It may look mighty bleak for us at this time of change just when we need to shine but, we could put a positive spin on the whole conference re-alignment thing by taking the bold step of showing our commitment to athletics and immediately making a coaching change. Muddling  without decisive action is a slam on our reputation.
I'm hoping for an announcement from the AD within the next 24 hours.

Edited by Greenrex
spelling
  • Upvote 4

13 minutes ago, peanuts104 said:

Splashy has failed us. We have talent, get someone that can use it.

NT lacks talent, size, & speed. Same things we were saying at the end of the McCarthey era.

Seth was a good roll of the dice, unfortunately the Kstate debacle took something from him that just never came back. 

NT needs to continue to take shots at the young up and comers like Seth and hope one of them can actually get over the hump. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Got5onIt said:

NT lacks talent, size, & speed. Same things we were saying at the end of the McCarthey era.

Seth was a good roll of the dice, unfortunately the Kstate debacle took something from him that just never came back. 

NT needs to continue to take shots at the young up and comers like Seth and hope one of them can actually get over the hump. 

Defense looked pretty good all things considered. Offense has speed and talent. Oline size isn't ideal but better than when Mason Fine was under center. I think the pieces are there. I just don't think the patchwork coaching staff can put the pieces together. At this level, your staff is going to be patchwork, and clearly Seth can't work with that. Young splashy talent will destroy what we have already in the name of starting new. One of the best things SL did when he came here was capitalize on what we had (Jeff Wilson, and decent defensive talent). We have talent here. It just needs the right coaching.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Nope. Only because he has not been a HC. No more "up and coming" P5 coordinators. 

This is how every UNT coaching search goes and it’s bad practice every time. Stop looking for a mold and find the right guy, regardless of resume.

After Dodge the focus was on getting someone who had led an FBS program before. That led us to an over-the-hill coach who did understand how to run an FBS program but couldn’t keep up with modern-day offense or recruiting. Then after him it was all about getting a bright offensive mind. That led us to Littrell. 

All this line of thinking does is unnecessarily eliminate candidates who could be a really good fit.

• Upvote 6

5 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

After Dodge the focus was on getting someone who had led an FBS program before. That led us to an over-the-hill coach who did understand how to run an FBS program but couldn’t keep up with modern-day offense or recruiting. 

4rznni.gif

If my fellow geezers will recall. The sell on McCarney was he won at a place where it was traditionally hard to win. That is what we were told at least.

• Upvote 5

6 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

This is how every UNT coaching search goes and it’s bad practice every time. Stop looking for a mold and find the right guy, regardless of resume.

After Dodge the focus was on getting someone who had led an FBS program before. That led us to an over-the-hill coach who did understand how to run an FBS program but couldn’t keep up with modern-day offense or recruiting. Then after him it was all about getting a bright offensive mind. That led us to Littrell. 

All this line of thinking does is unnecessarily eliminate candidates who could be a really good fit.

This with HC experience. I would like to see a P5 offensive coordinator that has been a HC . I would also look at Current HC. Grant would be my model.

Edited by Wag Tag

59 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

4rznni.gif

If my fellow geezers will recall. The sell on McCarney was he won at a place where it was traditionally hard to win. That is what we were told at least.

McCarney took Dodge’s recruits and turned that team into a hard nosed, Dallas Bowl winning program. Unfortunately, he couldn’t recruit a hobo to a ham sandwich and his program suffered at the end of his run.

I still say North Texas sticks with the young P5 offensive minded coordinator. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

How about this guy- he is making $850,000 a year now.

Jamey Chadwell

I watched his team yesterday and they came out flat and I thought they get blown out.  He regrouped his team and they won in the end.  The guy has been winning at a small school and is ranked now.

Why in the world would a coach at a ranked G5 school go to another G5 that just got blown out? Chadwell keeps this up, he'll be a P5 coach after bowl season. He ain't coming to no UNT.

Looking at his history, Chadwell was a small school HC from 2009 to 2016 and went to Coastal in 2017 as a positions coach. He groomed there for 2 years and took over in 2019. He wasn't a big flashy coaching hire, just a program recognizing their talent.

We can't get consistency by starting over every time we want to fire a coach. It takes too long for a new coach to get "their type of guys" in and by then, 4 years have gone by, the shine is gone, and we're back to looking for a new coach. Is there nobody in our staff with prior experience who is HC material?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

This will be the defining moment of Wren Baker's career. It's also the hardest thing for an AD to do. There has to be great instincts and also a little bit of luck as there is no real pattern to follow. The good news for UNT is the foundation and infrastructure is there and we don't have to worry about it. Admin support, salary available and facilities. All 3 boxes are checked. Now you just have to find the right guy.

Hot shot P5 coordinators seem to be the way a lot go. They've succeeded and failed. Pulling a HC from another program is an option. (We have seen that succeed in basketball). 

I'm not sure where I lean yet but I would not dismiss the "retread" just yet. I don't remember too many SMU folks that were pumped about hiring Sonny Dykes. We have a "retread" right down the road from Denton that is doing a great job. When I talk "retread" I mean successful G5 coach that went P5, didn't succeed then came back to G5. They've had success at the G5 level, have HC experience, know how to recruit and run a program with G5 constraints. OR a P5 HC that gets fired....can they succeed at our level? (think Frank Solich) The good news for us....is we actually don't have constraints that a lot of G5s have.

Sonny Dykes at SMU, Bobby Petrino at WKU, Jim McElwain seems to be doing well at Central Michigan (we'll see how this ends up), Jeff Tetford got Fresno St going before he had to leave with health issues, Lane Kiffin at FAU, Frank Solich at Ohio (he didn't coach at a G5 before Nebraska but  are a few off the top of my head). I know that for all them there are the ones that don't work out. Charlie Strong didn't exactly get it going at USF, not sure what Dana Holgerson is doing at UH.

There's no real formula to follow. At the end of the day, you have to find someone that fits and can succeed. (duh)

But if there's a list, I think we need to be looking at:

Kevin Sumlin, Tom Herman, (don't punch me....we should at least kick the tires on Chad Morris), is Scott Frost going to survive the season? if not...definitely should talk to him. And yes at least call A__ Br___s.

I don't know if we could money whip Jamey Chadwell from Coastal Carolina but man....he is intriguing. 

As for "hot shot" assistants, Alex Grinch, the DC at OU is interesting. he's young and has rebuilt some defenses at offensive minded programs. He was a candidate for UCF and also Wash St. What he's done with defenses at Air Raid programs is amazing. He's making 1.1 million. 

Barry Odom has HC experience, he's currently the DC at Arkansas and has done a great job with their D. He's making $1.8 mil so the money wouldn't be great but it would put back as a HC.

I think we should talk to Todd Monken. He took over a REALLY BAD USM team and turned them around. He's now the OC at Georgia.

Joe Morehead, OC at Oregon has HC experience. He had Fordham rolling.

Phil Longo is interesting...had an amazing offense at Sam Houston. And he's got UNC going. 

There are so many exciting candidates out there and we are such a great destination. This is actually exciting and I don't envy Wren Baker here.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

4rznni.gif

That’s why we picked McCarney over the others, sure. But the point is we basically filtered the search to guys with HC experience before it ever began. That’s my point.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Why in the world would a coach at a ranked G5 school go to another G5 that just got blown out? Chadwell keeps this up, he'll be a P5 coach after bowl season. He ain't coming to no UNT.

Looking at his history, Chadwell was a small school HC from 2009 to 2016 and went to Coastal in 2017 as a positions coach. He groomed there for 2 years and took over in 2019. He wasn't a big flashy coaching hire, just a program recognizing their talent.

We can't get consistency by starting over every time we want to fire a coach. It takes too long for a new coach to get "their type of guys" in and by then, 4 years have gone by, the shine is gone, and we're back to looking for a new coach. Is there nobody in our staff with prior experience who is HC material?

I guess we would have to ask Jamey Chadwell. He would get a $1 million raise. I don’t know about his personal family situation but that kind of money moves the needle.