Fire Him Tonight

All About UNT

6 minutes ago, greenminer said:

I agree.  The next 24 hours are going to determine how much of MG Nation views him.

The reality is the exalted Wren Baker will probably let Seth & Co travel to LA Tech, get blown out bigly, and then he'll fire him in the by week saying he had no choice.  In his mind that probably makes more sense or has less of an impact on the team... In reality that is a lazy decision that leaves the team lacking direction, leadership, and execution.

Edited by Pavlovs Eagle
xtra word
  • Upvote 3
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 2

Just now, Pavlovs Eagle said:

The reality is the exalted Wren Baker will probably let us Seth & Co travel to LA Tech, get blown out bigly, and then he'll fire him in the by week saying he had no choice.  In his mind that probably makes more sense or has less of an impact on the team... In reality that is a lazy decision that leave the team lacking direction, leadership, and execution.

It will allow Littrell 1 more chance to circle the wagons.  If his team responds, and beats LATech, they obviously still want to play for him.   If it goes like I think it will (Did y’all see how that LATech/SMU game ended? The Bulldogs are gonna be pissed/hyper-focused when they play us), it should be all Baker needs to see.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

It will allow Littrell 1 more chance to circle the wagons.  If his team responds, and beats LATech, they obviously still want to play for him.   If it goes like I think it will (Did y’all see how that LATech/SMU game ended? The Bulldogs are gonna be pissed/hyper-focused when they play us), it should be all Baker needs to see.

The only reason I would possibly give Baker a week is that he's now spending the next 7 days dialing for dollars to fund the Littrell buyout.  If he seriously thinks we're going to waltz into Ruston and even remotely be competitive he's not half as good of an AD as this board gives him credit for.  

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Pavlovs Eagle said:

The only reason I would possibly give Baker a week is that he's now spending the next 7 days dialing for dollars to fund the Littrell buyout.  If he seriously thinks we're going to waltz into Ruston and even remotely be competitive he's not half as good of an AD as this board gives him credit for.  

Oh, I trust Baker could see far enough ahead to get contingency plans rolling already.   This is not a surprise & I doubt he’s dialing for too many dollars, because he likely already did that after being dismantled in our bowl game last year.

He deserves a lot of credit.   I’m sure he’ll come through.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, greengal said:

Wren do not hire Seth!  It was RV.  Quit blaming Wren for a coach he inherited.  Now Wren is guilty of redoing his contract however.  That is not a hanging offense though IMHO.

Wren hired him when he gave Seth a new contract.

It was a generally applauded move when Baker gave Littrell the extension.   

The question now is how Baker handles this season and next. . 

I have a lot of confidence in Baker, and believe if Littrell does not engineer a big turnaround, he will be gone after the season. 

• Upvote 1

Recruiting has been bad for years, at the same time many folks on here boast about how many stars these guys have or how many others offered, etc. We don’t have playmakers/football players. Tired of the annual hype about talent we are amassing. Find top tier football players and to hell with this star system. Don’t care if our guys have a 500 credit score. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

1) How were they perceived of out of high school? This is the potential that people try and identify when we talk about rating systems/other offers.  The higher this perception across your roster, the higher your potential is as a program.
2) What are we doing to develop them?  Maximize their talents? get them to overachieve on game day?

...SL figured out the first part, and on a level we haven't seen in Denton in this Rivals/247 era.
...I have to conclude that he is awful at #2.  I don't know if that is something you can pinpoint on a single person/facility, but the responsibility falls on SL.

• Upvote 2

It never should have come to this. The sane fans on this board knew this program was going down the toilet for the past two or three years. We are not going to beat LA Tech next week, or Missouri, or Marshall, or Liberty. The Mean Green will be 1-6 when we head to Rice on October 30th, with our only win against an FCS program.

We are in the middle of a slow train wreck. What is Wren's plan to avert total disaster?  We didn't even draw 18K for the game tonight. That number isn't going to get any better as this season continues. Plus conference realignment is underway. Had we properly addressed our football program two or three years ago, we'd probably be in a better position to improve conferences today.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Cooley said:

Recruiting has been bad for years, at the same time many folks on here boast about how many stars these guys have or how many others offered, etc. We don’t have playmakers/football players. Tired of the annual hype about talent we are amassing. Find top tier football players and to hell with this star system. Don’t care if our guys have a 500 credit score. 

UAB was bigger, faster and better coached. And our coach just walked the sideline usually in the opposite direction of where the team was. 

Edited by meangreenbob

Hiring SL was not on WB or on RV. WB wasn't here yet,  and RV had no more real power by then as it was clear he was going to be out the door. This was actually mostly Smatresks call I think. This doesn't mean that Smatresk has been anything less than a great president for NT athletics. That said WB has extended SL twice and -more importantly -secured raises to an unnecessary degree for a coach who had never won a championship.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 2

7 hours ago, greengal said:

Wren did not hire Seth!  It was RV.  Quit blaming Wren for a coach he inherited.  Now Wren is guilty of redoing his contract however.  That is not a hanging offense though IMHO.

Hindsight 20/20 at the time We had a amazing team coming back when we redid Seth's contract.  That was supposed to be the hire away year and the P5 School breaks us off the remaining money in the contract and we use that for the next coach. Somehow he shit the bed that year and we were stuck. 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, p_phelps said:

Hindsight 20/20 at the time We had a amazing team coming back when we redid Seth's contract.  That was supposed to be the hire away year and the P5 School breaks us off the remaining money in the contract and we use that for the next coach. Somehow he shit the bed that year and we were stuck. 

Problem is, that even had SL left, there would not have been all that much money, because the negotiated buyout was completely assymetrical for if the school fires or if he leaves. I remember getting minuses at the time for pointing out that this was a failure on WBs part (as is the linking of the buyout for the coach leaving in case the president and AD leave. The BOR should not accept such clauses in the future, they can create conflicts of interest.

WB/Smatresk have many accomplishments: Smatresk did wonders for the academic reputation. In terms of atheltics they really improved the structures of the AD to the top level of any G5, both physically and otherwise, and WB managed to get much more money into the system, including from big time donors and most coaches he picked from the ground up are nothing but winners. But he seems very reluctant to ever tell people "no". Problem is, that is also part of his job.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Pavlovs Eagle said:

Frankly if MBB wasn't winning the lot of you would already be asking for his head on a stake.

Yep Seth wasn’t his hire but he did give him the extension that makes firing him now financially painful.  I don’t know his involvement at the time of the extension either.  I didn’t like the extension at the time either.  It was a desperation move not inline with the expectations we should have here.  We pay too much money and have too many resources not to be consistently challenging for a division title in late November in a weak conference.  The sporadic success of new and restarted programs like UTSA, UAB, and FAU confirm to expectations we should have.  Actually we should be on Marshall’s level.

8 hours ago, NorthTexan95 said:

Not very.  Seth is not Wren's hire and, based on his hiring history, would not have hired Seth in the first place.  

I'm excited to see who Wren would bring in as head coach. 

SL is a Smatresk hire.  He has a lot to do with this situation as well as our conference status.

SL should do the right thing and resign and not take a buyout.  He created this mess and it is all on him.  

He should look for OC with P-5 team.    Can you send us a tape of your offense coach?  Sure I will send you the UAB game tape.   We watched the taped coach and we will call you if we have an opening.

How many times can you run it up the middle?    I know Wilson was an exceptional RB but whatever happened to that counter play he used to run with such great success?   I don't think we have run a counter play since he left.

Edited by southsideguy
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

9 hours ago, Pavlovs Eagle said:

Its good to see that the Seth defenders are either turned or cowering to the point they will never publicly support him again.

The real question is, when will the majority of you realize Wren is as much of the problem with where our football program is as Seth is? Prove me wrong...

They both can walk as far as I'm concerned.  If you can't demand accountability from our flagship FBS Football program how can I depend on you to ask any of our programs for accountability?  Frankly if MBB wasn't winning the lot of you would already be asking for his head on a stake.

I was a Seth supporter. Now I am not. Please take and do with that what you must.