Brendon Lewis

Big Z

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, Big Z said:

I'm good friends with his dad and they are an awesome family! His dad was really pushing for him to come here because he ran the same style of offense at Melissa but went with Colorado night before signing day.  Brendon is a good kid, I wish nothing but the best for him. 

Any way you could pass that info on to Coach Walerius so they don't just assume he's not interested?

luke.walerius@unt.edu

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Any way you could pass that info on to Coach Walerius so they don't just assume he's not interested?

luke.walerius@unt.edu

I tweeted at Luke to bring him to Denton. However, I have as much faith in him reading my tweet as I do in us winning a bowl game. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

Some Heads Up on this player (I was not familiar so did some searching) 

H.S. Scouting Report

EVALUATED 10/26/2018

GabeBrooks
Gabe BrooksMIDLANDS REGION RECRUITING ANALYST

PROJECTION

Power-5 Starter

COMPARISON

Bryce PerkinsLOS ANGELES RAMS

Good-sized dual-threat quarterback with adequate height and encouraging bulk for the position. Good testing numbers in the 40 and shuttle manifest in mobility on the field. Hurts defenses with legs, but prefers to buy time to find receivers. Bulk helps him drive ball to the perimeter when rolling to the right with his body. Consistently connects over the deep middle. Flashes encouraging velocity and drives the ball up the seam. Displays a smooth, natural delivery when there's time to set and throw, whether from read action or dropping. Shows good touch in vertical game with ability to drop balls on receivers outside the numbers. Could stand to tighten delivery and quicken release. Arm angle varies at times. Produces big numbers at the high school level but can still improve accuracy and consistency. Footwork can be more consistent. Sturdily built, productive QB who possesses requisite tools to develop into a Power Five starter.

36 minutes ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

Remember when Texas HS product Drew Brees had to shop himself out of the state of Texas because no D1 school in the Lone Star State (supposedly) did not offer him a scholarship?

What does that have to do with the guy that started game one for p5 Colorado this year?

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, untbowler said:

honestly once he is in the portal, he should reach out to the staff and show he is interested, should go both ways. 

The only possible way I'd concur with this is if it were Spring of 2017, and Mason Fine had already established himself as a Sophomore starter.  We really have no need for a transfer in that situation.  But in reality, we're pretty desperate for competent/capable QB play, so it would be best for NT to be aggressive with this guy.

If I'm a player, of course I'm shopping myself around, but if a program takes strong interest in me from the minute I hit the portal until the minute I sign, that helps me in my decision.   If 12 other schools excitedly reach out to me, and I'm the one who has to initiate contact with North Texas...  It kinda tells me they're not as interested as the other 12.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

This thread sure does give a lot of love to a guy who couldn't hold the QB job at one of the worst P5s in the country...He's currently CU's 3rd QB. 

When he got recruited his coach was Mel Tucker at that time and he looked good in the Alamo Bowl. Mel Tucker leaves and then they hire Karl Dorrell who basically butchered the offense. Lewis has always ran a West Coast Style offense since high school and Dorrell got canned by running a different style. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

What does that have to do with the guy that started game one for p5 Colorado this year?

Since when does starting at a bad P5 matter? 🧐

55 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

The only possible way I'd concur with this is if it were Spring of 2017, and Mason Fine had already established himself as a Sophomore starter.  We really have no need for a transfer in that situation.  But in reality, we're pretty desperate for competent/capable QB play, so it would be best for NT to be aggressive with this guy.

If I'm a player, of course I'm shopping myself around, but if a program takes strong interest in me from the minute I hit the portal until the minute I sign, that helps me in my decision.   If 12 other schools excitedly reach out to me, and I'm the one who has to initiate contact with North Texas...  It kinda tells me they're not as interested as the other 12.

Pretty sure a certain Memphis QB from Denton said he didn't consider UNT because we showed interest late. Something to that effect.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Lol.
There were about 500 threads here during the Spring & Summer that told us it matters a lot.

I guess if Lewis were to roll in here with a noticeable limp, it wouldn't matter.   Otherwise:

Come on home Brendon!

The poster I replied to specifically with that comment had been a big supporter of Aune over Gunnell for the reason of "what has he done here." It's always been about what the player has done here, completely disregarding pre-UNT play,  but all of a sudden we care about what happened elsewhere prior to UNT. Nobody gave Gunnell the benefit of what he'd done prior to UNT, not even before it was apparent he had a limp. Just wondering why Lewis is getting that benefit without knowing his health status and when statistically he wasn't any better at Colorado than Gunnell was at Arizona. 58% completion percentage in 2021 doesn't exactly scream upgrade.

17 minutes ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

Nothing.  
What does it mean for North Texas signing it’s 20’th friggin ‘ QB to a scholarship?  Got a smart-ass answer for that? 

No sir.

9 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

The poster I replied to specifically with that comment had been a big supporter of Aune over Gunnell for the reason of "what has he done here." It's always been about what the player has done here, completely disregarding pre-UNT play,  but all of a sudden we care about what happened elsewhere prior to UNT. Nobody gave Gunnell the benefit of what he'd done prior to UNT, not even before it was apparent he had a limp. Just wondering why Lewis is getting that benefit without knowing his health status and when statistically he wasn't any better at Colorado than Gunnell was at Arizona. 58% completion percentage in 2021 doesn't exactly scream upgrade.

My reply to Jim had nothing to do with Brendon Lewis being good or coming here and everything to do with not understanding the connection between Drew Brees trying to find a P5 scholarship and Lewis having one. I’m sorry for the confusion but I wasn’t saying Lewis would be the next UNT great. I think it’d be great for him to sign with us but once that happens I am still on the show me on the field at North Texas train. I am vehemently against handing someone the job because of what they did elsewhere.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

My reply to Jim had nothing to do with Brendon Lewis being good or coming here and everything to do with not understanding the connection between Drew Brees trying to find a P5 scholarship and Lewis having one. I’m sorry for the confusion but I wasn’t saying Lewis would be the next UNT great. I think it’d be great for him to sign with us but once that happens I am still on the show me on the field at North Texas train. I am vehemently against handing someone the job because of what they did elsewhere.

Gotcha. I'll file this one under the "mind your own business" folder, then. 🤣

I'm not going to once again dig deeper into this Aune debate. I just hope when Aune leaves, he takes whatever dirt he apparently has on SL with him so the other QBs can have a real QB competition.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1