Help me understand you people...

Mo Green

Currently, as in the past, we have been an afterthought in football. Losing  (32-32 SL) with each coach that we hire in football (if just GH & MF never left)! So now our HC SL was hired for his offense capabilities, & he has given everything to his co-offensive coordinator's that had over 500 yards and only 12 points. Where are we going with this?

Now, there are opportunities to advance to a league that their best in football & overall sports were taken, on paper at lease ($$$), to a better league. Based on why they were taken what does ONE NCAA BB tournament win (even with a bright future in men's BB) make us such a prized commodity when we can't get any  continuity in football and have in our history hiring TWO H.S. coaches as HEAD COACH?  Is it our sell-outs, just location ( think titanic), college size etc. that make us so attractive?

Answer this, so I will understand with what you see!

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3

2 hours ago, Mo Green said:

Currently, as in the past, we have been an afterthought in football. Losing  (32-32 SL) with each coach that we hire in football (if just GH & MF never left)! So now our HC SL was hired for his offense capabilities, & he has given everything to his co-offensive coordinator's that had over 500 yards and only 12 points. Where are we going with this?

Now, there are opportunities to advance to a league that their best in football & overall sports were taken, on paper at lease ($$$), to a better league. Based on why they were taken what does ONE NCAA BB tournament win (even with a bright future in men's BB) make us such a prized commodity when we can't get any  continuity in football and have in our history hiring TWO H.S. coaches as HEAD COACH?  Is it our sell-outs, just location ( think titanic), college size etc. that make us so attractive?

Nice "what color is the sky in your world" post.

At the risk of sounding a bit anal/picayune, we've actually hired three High School coaches. Odus Mitchell was head coach at Marshal HS when he was hired to coach the re-started (on hiatus during WWII) NT program in 1946.

SO. We have hired two HS coaches from Marshal (Mitchel and Parker) and one from Southlake....Dodge.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

The Athletics budget is much bigger than it once was.   
Facilities are all ready to compete at either MWC or AAC level.
DFW is huge and can support 2 teams in the same conference (hello AAC).
Academics are high (Carnegie Research University)
Enrollment is at an all time high, and will likely continue to climb.
There are a lot of great things that combine to make NT a great addition to any conference.
We just have one glaring issue, and unfortunately, it's a big one that has all kinds of ripple effects.   However, thankfully, it's one that can be rapidly remediated.

👍👍

23 seconds of Handel, anyone?😇

🦅

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Mo Green said:

So if someone was a college position coach that also spent time coaching high school football, they are given the scarlet letter for having coached high school ball?   Asking for a friend.  

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

Nice "what color is the sky in your world" post.

At the risk of sounding a bit anal/picayune, we've actually hired three High School coaches. Odus Mitchell was head coach at Marshal HS when he was hired to coach the re-started (on hiatus during WWII) NT program in 1946.

SO. We have hired two HS coaches from Marshal (Mitchel and Parker) and one from Southlake....Dodge.

Our current DC Phil Bennett is also from Marshall Texas

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

So if someone was a college position coach that also spent time coaching high school football, they are given the scarlet letter for having coached high school ball?   Asking for a friend.  

Hiring a head coach directly from high school to the FBS is begging for eternal ridicule.

You have to give that coach a few years in college as an assistant, like how Jeff Traylor went from Gilmer High to UT to SMU to Arkansas before getting the UTSA top job.

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

9 hours ago, Mo Green said:

Didn’t the UAB coach come directly from Prattville HS?  They and Hoover used to be the powers of Alabama HS’s. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, meangreanmick said:

Who are you calling "you people"

I was wondering as SL and other's said "I think this place can be a MONSTER". We seem never to be able to get there. This started with Hayden & Nelson etc. recent coaches. So, I wanted to see what those ( you people) that imagine that we deserve a better league ( i.e. we just came to CUSA-better league right?) saw in our main money sport- football- that made us so valuable.

Feeling that we need to right our football ship & not go on and on about the football coaches being on a hot seat (that get's old) after losing & losing games! I know Wren and Neal must be beside themselves. I joking said that Let's pay Grant to be a defensive coordinator to them after the Purdue game in IN. 

Edited by Mo Green
  • Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

On 9/17/2021 at 12:16 PM, Mo Green said:

I would argue that we've only been serious about athletics for a decade or so. For years we had the awful budgets, god awful (in some cases on existent facilities), and no commitment (went FCS for God sakes). Now we are top two in facilities in CUSA, top two in budget and top 3 in conference championships (all sports) since joining the league. I think I read our top 3 winning percentages (for all sports with head to head records) occured in the last five years. We have over 40,000 students and over 400,000 alums and we sit in DFW, the #5 DMA. And Denton County is the fastest growing county in the US. We've been to bowl games 4 out of 5 years and won 9 games back to back in 2017 and 2018. I get the 4 out of  seems cheap since two were with sub .500 records but guess what Charlotte (another team being discussed) has 1 bowl appearance ever. 

I believe when SMU, Tulane and Memphis went to the AAC all had losing records for 8 or more years. All are enjoying some of their greatest success. So I would think other teams see the potential we have. One other note. We don't have to be better than the teams currently in the AAC or MWC. We only have to be more attractive than the other candidates. Look at the other teams listed UAB, Charlotte, FAU, UTSA, Rice. Everyone of those teams have weaknesses in their resume. 

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, meangreenJW said:

I would argue that we've only been serious about athletics for a decade or so. For years we had the awful budgets, god awful (in some cases on existent facilities), and no commitment (went FCS for God sakes). Now we are top two in facilities in CUSA, top two in budget and top 3 in conference championships (all sports) since joining the league. I think I read our top 3 winning percentages (for all sports with head to head records) occured in the last five years. We have over 40,000 students and over 400,000 alums and we sit in DFW, the #5 DMA. And Denton County is the fastest growing county in the US. We've been to bowl games 4 out of 5 years and won 9 games back to back in 2017 and 2018. I get the 4 out of  seems cheap since two were with sub .500 records but guess what Charlotte (another team being discussed) has 1 bowl appearance ever. 

I believe when SMU, Tulane and Memphis went to the AAC all had losing records for 8 or more years. All are enjoying some of their greatest success. So I would think other teams see the potential we have. One other note. We don't have to be better than the teams currently in the AAC or MWC. We only have to be more attractive than the other candidates. Look at the other teams listed UAB, Charlotte, FAU, UTSA, Rice. Everyone of those teams have weaknesses in their resume. 

But, I'm talking only about UNT in Denton not the above...now we are 32-33 under the current coaches (see tonight's score).

• Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1