Conference

Cr1028

40 minutes ago, TIgreen01 said:

The downfall of NT football?  You must not have been around in 2015 & ‘16…or missed the entirety of Todge?  

You could say it was the start of the decline for SL, but beyond that is a bit much.

Biggest lost opportunity in our history based on the National coverage of the hire.

37 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

Our coach is like a guy that shows up at the golf course with expensive clubs, expensive clothes, bag, name brand everything that goes out and shoots a 120. Then there’s the Coastal’s of the world that show up with an old club and off brand clothes and breaks 80.

We need to give THAT golfer OUR clubs. 

This man right here.

colby-carthel-shirtless.jpg

Edited by Cr1028
  • Haha 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 2

3 hours ago, TheColonyEagle said:

When we started 4-0 and Beat Arkansas we came home to a near sellout crowd against La Tech. (Maybe the largest crowd we’ve had). We were a few hundred away. 

And what did we do? We got beat. Didn’t capitalize. I say had we won, gone to 5-0. We would’ve been ranked. Then the crowds would’ve kept coming had we kept winning. 

That’s the “sleeping giant” that gets thrown around. But we’ve never crossed the line. Coastal Carolina is probably at their ceiling given their location, size etc. they don’t have the capacity we have. We just never fill our capacity because every time we get close, we crap the bed. 

This, this, this, and this. 2013 was another example of this.. Held our own against Georgia for the first half of the game, Beat Rice/La Tech when they were the conference top dogs, even the game with Ball State we were supposed to lose we won. Then UTSA comes to Denton and we lost.. And the crazy thing is, I think that season was the last time we won a bowl game.. Which SL was not our coach.  

The sleeping giant almost wakes up, but then rolls over and goes into a deep sleep. 

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, tmjerm said:

Help me understand the point you’re making.  The point I was making was just that if we win we will fill our stadium. 

Sorry, I guess some explanation would help. A post was made that Coastal Carolina only drew about 17,500 fans to their home game against Kansas, and I posted that Charlotte only drew 14,500 in home game against Duke. We have proven in Fine's 2 great years at UNT that winning doesn't guarantee cheeks in the seats. A lot depends on who we play. A few years ago Indiana came to town and we beat them before a stadium about 2/3's full. At programs like LSU fans go to games regardless of who the Tigers are playing. At UNT and second tier programs such as ours a large number of fans come because of who the opponent is..

• Upvote 2

So Sun Belt suffocated you?

What exactly did North Texas do to try to capitalize on consecutive championships? 

Build an indoor practice facility?

Build new locker rooms, meeting rooms, weight room, clubhouse?

Do a campaign to endow scholarships or coaching positions?

Replace or upgrade an old not especially well maintained stadium?

Sun Belt football started in 2001, not one champion from 2001 to 2010 used a championship and bowl appearance to fuel upgrades and fund-raising.

That’s NOT the fault of the conference that blame rests squarely on chancellors and presidents who deemed football a distraction and annoyance and in the back of their mind every time some fan said we need to put more in they were thinking, “you’ve got a team, what else do you want?”

Leadership and achievement starts in the CEO’s office, not the commissioners office.

• Upvote 6
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

10 hours ago, wardly said:

Sorry, I guess some explanation would help. A post was made that Coastal Carolina only drew about 17,500 fans to their home game against Kansas, and I posted that Charlotte only drew 14,500 in home game against Duke. We have proven in Fine's 2 great years at UNT that winning doesn't guarantee cheeks in the seats. A lot depends on who we play. A few years ago Indiana came to town and we beat them before a stadium about 2/3's full. At programs like LSU fans go to games regardless of who the Tigers are playing. At UNT and second tier programs such as ours a large number of fans come because of who the opponent is..

I think you are wrong. Early in the season it is all about who the opponent is and you always got early season excitement (otherwise FCS opponents would draw 12 k).

Later in the season however, many fans only come when the team is in the championship race (winning 6 will barely move the needle). Then however, they indeed do come. NTs sample size for that however is very small.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, outoftown said:

I think you are wrong. Early in the season it is all about who the opponent is and you always got early season excitement (otherwise FCS opponents would draw 12 k).

Later in the season however, many fans only come when the team is in the championship race (winning 6 will barely move the needle). Then however, they indeed do come. NTs sample size for that however is very small.

Yep, we got 26k for a late season game against UTEP two years after having 8k at a late season game against UTEP. We can have swings from mid-to-low teens to mid-20s just by being good in certain years. Imagine if we could roll 4-5 winning years in a row instead of 2.

We haven't played any team at Apogee that would actually move the needle on our attendance all by themselves.

Years ranked by avg home attendance: 2018, 2017, 2019, 2013, 2016, 2014, 2012, 2011, 2015, 2020.

• Upvote 2

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=TCU+Game+Today+riff+ram&&view=detail&mid=C1890E65A1835FD2AE1EC1890E65A1835FD2AE1E&&FORM=VRDGAR&ru=%2Fvideos%2Fsearch%3Fq%3DTCU%20Game%20Today%20riff%20ram%26qs%3Dn%26form%3DQBVR%26sp%3D-1%26pq%3Dtcu%20game%20today%20riff%20ram%26sc%3D0-23%26sk%3D%26cvid%3D186D4BE0FA8548F1AA0D4405EA16443D

We can't even coordinate a simple "NORTH - TEXAS" yell. The cheerleaders can't do it, and now they've tried to use the video board to coordinate it.......pitiful.

We have no traditions. We don't look, or act, like a big time program.............or many small time programs for that matter. We have the facilities and our Band is finally coming around to being a football band......but that's about it.

We don't have a program. Our University contracts to put on a football game. But none of the participants are very connected to the event or to one another.

If ESPN came to Denton for a game day, do you think it would remotely look like this?

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Downvote 2

1 minute ago, SilverEagle said:

We can't even coordinate a simple "NORTH - TEXAS" yell. The cheerleaders can't do it, and now they've tried to use the video board to coordinate it.......pitiful.

This has always been the dumbest damn thing to me, and it's been almost 20 years now since I went to my first game. No matter how the North Texas chant starts, it always ends with people bored of doing it and getting quieter and quieter. Would it really be that difficult to coordinate "North... Texas... North... Texas... North... Texas... (both sides) NORTH TEXAS" or "GO MEAN GREEN". This is low hanging fruit and it's so sad that this simple of a thing isn't worth anyone's time or effort in the athletic department.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Monkeypox said:

Yep, we got 26k for a late season game against UTEP two years after having 8k at a late season game against UTEP. We can have swings from mid-to-low teens to mid-20s just by being good in certain years. Imagine if we could roll 4-5 winning years in a row instead of 2.

We haven't played any team at Apogee that would actually move the needle on our attendance all by themselves.

Years ranked by avg home attendance: 2018, 2017, 2019, 2013, 2016, 2014, 2012, 2011, 2015, 2020.

How many cheeks in the seats by year in your home attendance ranking? Just curious. Thanks...

16 minutes ago, wardly said:

How many cheeks in the seats by year in your home attendance ranking? Just curious. Thanks...

Didn't include 2020, because Covid/yuck. I expect 2021 to be pretty rough eventually as well, because we appear to be terrible and many are still staying away from large events. Each season has its own context though, and we NEED to be able to pull 20+ regardless of what's going on. Hopefully I didn't transpose any numbers while trying to provide context.

2018 - 23,354 - 2nd winning season in a row, SMU, Incarnate Word, La Tech, USM, Rice, FAU

2017 - 22,363 - First winning year, second year of SL era - Lamar, UAB, UTSA, ODU, UTEP, Army

2019 - 21,358 - Coming off two winning seasons, mixed but good home schedule of ACU, UTSA, Houston, MTSU (blech), UTEP, and UAB (blech)

2013 - 21,030 - 3rd year of McCarney, 1st in CUSA, 1st winning season in 10000 years. Idaho, Ball State, MTSU, Rice, UTEP, UTSA

2016 - 19,843 - First year of SL, coming off 1-11. SMU, Bethune-Cookman, MTSU, Marshall, La Tech, USM

2014 - 19,271 - Coming off winning year, bowl win, but went 4-8. SMU(win!), La Tech, Nicholls St, USM, FAU, FIU.

2012 - 18,927 - 2nd McCarney year, coming off 5-7. Texas Southern, Troy, LaLa, Ark St, USA

2011 - 18,864 - First McCarney year and of Apogee. Houston, Indiana, FAU, ULM, WKU, MTSU

2015 13,631 - 1-11 year. Rice, Portland St, WKU, UTSA(win!), UTEP - yes, only FIVE home games, and fairly reliable attendance buffers UTSA and UTEP we only got 8-10K.

Some general thoughts:

1) Anyone east of La Tech brings no fans at our level. We get as much vs FCS schools as we do the F_Us and Marshalls of the world.

2) We need Texas schools on our schedule for home attendance, even if it's UTEP, UTSA, Rice, SMU

3) Our attendance is mostly driven by how good we are in actuality (late in good season) or perception (early AFTER good season). Pretty much everybody likes to see wins, especially if they're shelling out their hard-earned cash for it.

On 9/23/2021 at 5:19 PM, wardly said:

Charlotte beat Duke at home earlier this year to an attendance of less than 15,000.

Their stadium is literally only a lower bowl. You walk into the concourse and only can walk down to seats. It's total capacity is only 15k.

That being said it's a beautiful stadium with room to build upper decks on three sides over the current wide concourses and it's right in the middle of campus. Their program's first season was in 2013. They've come far in less than a decade.

12 hours ago, Pavlovs Eagle said:

Their stadium is literally only a lower bowl. You walk into the concourse and only can walk down to seats. It's total capacity is only 15k.

That being said it's a beautiful stadium with room to build upper decks on three sides over the current wide concourses and it's right in the middle of campus. Their program's first season was in 2013. They've come far in less than a decade.

Thanks for the information. I have watched a couple of games on t.v. and the athletic building behind one of the end zones looks great.