Conference

Cr1028

1 minute ago, Cr1028 said:

Coastal Carolina is ranked #16 in the nation in out OLD conference. They have been playing at the fbs level for 5 years. Conference is not the problem. Football is the problem and it doesn’t matter how many G5 conferences we run to, nothing will change unless the football does. 

We are turning into the perpetual divorcée who constantly looks for greener grass while never choosing to look within. Change for change sale. What if our next marriage is even worse than the present one? If we were kicking ass against CUSA already then I would be all for it but we aren’t taking care of business as is and I do not see how playing (potentially) better teams changes that.

If we upgrade conferences it needs to come with upgrading the coaching which I suspect it will. Barring one helluva turn around, I don’t see Seth Littrell coaching this team in a new conference. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

34 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Coastal Carolina is ranked #16 in the nation in out OLD conference. They have been playing at the fbs level for 5 years. Conference is not the problem. Football is the problem and it doesn’t matter how many G5 conferences we run to, nothing will change unless the football does. 

We are turning into the perpetual divorcée who constantly looks for greener grass while never choosing to look within. Change for change sale. What if our next marriage is even worse than the present one? If we were kicking ass against CUSA already then I would be all for it but we aren’t taking care of business as is and I do not see how playing (potentially) better teams changes that.

For those who say win and they will come - Coastal is an example where success has not brought in fans. Against Kansas they set their all time attendance record at 17,697.

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 3

7 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Isn't that the argument SMU makes about us when we talk about their attendance?

And I wouldn’t disagree with them.  It’s clear that when we’re winning more people (especially students) show up.  La Tech 2018 a couple weeks after Arkansas is a great example.  We blew it, but they showed.  Forgive me if I’m off base, but so I understand the point you’re making, are you arguing that winning doesn’t bring more people to Apogee?

Edited by tmjerm
  • Upvote 3

52 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

The beauty of "taking care of business" is that with the myriad of top-notch players we can choose from in our own state, if you get a really good coach, business gets taken care of!

And if you give that coach a chance to prove himself in a league that is perpetually sending their top coaches to P5 jobs (Peterson, McElwain, Harsin, Wells are top of mind), and you pay a ton of money (which UNT does), you get a really nice pool of coaches knocking down all kinds of obstacles to get your job.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Cr1028 said:

Great post 🎯

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TheColonyEagle said:

When we started 4-0 and Beat Arkansas we came home to a near sellout crowd against La Tech. (Maybe the largest crowd we’ve had). We were a few hundred away. 

And what did we do? We got beat. Didn’t capitalize. I say had we won, gone to 5-0. We would’ve been ranked. Then the crowds would’ve kept coming had we kept winning. 

That’s the “sleeping giant” that gets thrown around. But we’ve never crossed the line. Coastal Carolina is probably at their ceiling given their location, size etc. they don’t have the capacity we have. We just never fill our capacity because every time we get close, we crap the bed. 

Bingo

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

When we started 4-0 and Beat Arkansas we came home to a near sellout crowd against La Tech. (Maybe the largest crowd we’ve had). We were a few hundred away. 

And what did we do? We got beat. Didn’t capitalize. I say had we won, gone to 5-0. We would’ve been ranked. Then the crowds would’ve kept coming had we kept winning. 

That’s the “sleeping giant” that gets thrown around. But we’ve never crossed the line. Coastal Carolina is probably at their ceiling given their location, size etc. they don’t have the capacity we have. We just never fill our capacity because every time we get close, we crap the bed. 

Amen to this 

I’ve said it time and time again, but that loss was the downfall of NT football.

• Upvote 2
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 3

7 minutes ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

Amen to this 

I’ve said it time and time again, but that loss was the downfall of NT football.

The downfall of NT football?  You must not have been around in 2015 & ‘16…or missed the entirety of Todge?  

You could say it was the start of the decline for SL, but beyond that is a bit much.

Edited by TIgreen01
  • Upvote 6

1 minute ago, TIgreen01 said:

The downfall of NT football?  You must not have been around in 2015 & ‘16…or missed the entirety of Todge?  

Maybe that was the peak and it's been down hill since. Especially for the Littrell era. Coming home from Arkansas 4-0, splashed all over ESPN, local media giving us more attention than we've ever had with a near sellout waiting at Apogee? I can't think of a better position we've been in...as far as modern era football goes.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Lol.   Which "downfall" are you talking about??
The recent "downfall" of NT football happened behind the scenes between November 24 & December 15, 2018.

That is included in the La Tech collapse because the “downfall” is still happening 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, TIgreen01 said:

You could say it was the start of the decline for SL, but beyond that is a bit much.

I was and that’s different. There wasn’t a downfall in 2016-mid 2018. It was an upswing that had tremendous momentum that collapsed at the La Tech game. Since that, we are 14-18 with 0 wins over teams that are above .500

If that isn’t a downfall, I don’t know what is

• Thanks 1
  • Ray 1

Just now, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

I was and that’s different. There wasn’t a downfall in 2016-mid 2018. It was an upswing that had tremendous momentum that collapsed at the La Tech game. Since that, we are 14-18 with 0 wins over teams that are above .500

If that isn’t a downfall, I don’t know what is

Michael Rainey Jr Yes GIF by Power Book II: Ghost

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1

When we were in the Sun Belt, it was pretty suffocating. A bunch of schools that were never able to get over the hump, and it severely limited recruiting. That conference made smart decisions in bringing up FCS powers to shake up that perception and limitation.

Since we've been in CUSA, it's not been the conference holding us back. All our wounds are self-inflicted.

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 1

10 minutes ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

I want for UNT what TCU once had with the MWC & what TAMU once had with the SEC until 3 weeks ago:

•••••  E-X-C-L-U-S-I-T-I-V-I-T-Y•••••

Being exclusive was important for TCU before the B12 called & recently we all heard the TAMU Athletic Director bemoan the fact how disappointing it was that UT & OU worked with the SEC behind their back to take exclusivity away from the Aggies.  

🦅

We had exclusivity in the Big West and Sun Belt and it didn’t advance us a bit.

3 minutes ago, keith said:

According to 247sports.com recruiting class national rankings for the years 2017-2021

image.png.6a903d416288ab85b5a1e26be2eeca31.png

Our coach is like a guy that shows up at the golf course with expensive clubs, expensive clothes, bag, name brand everything that goes out and shoots a 120. Then there’s the Coastal’s of the world that show up with an old club and off brand clothes and breaks 80.

We need to give THAT golfer OUR clubs. 

• Upvote 3