CBS’s Dennis Dodd says UNT on AAC List

Jonnyeagle

19 minutes ago, keith said:

If I understand the article, the AAC has 7 schools on its short list of candidates.  We are not on that short list of 7.  The AAC is looking to add 4 schools to the conference.  If it is unable to secure 4 from its short list, there is an *additional* list of 10-12 schools it would look to next.  That makes UNT somewhere between 8th and 19th on AAC's wish list.  Hate to be the Debbie downer for people who get excited about a headline that says UNT on AAC list of candidates, but the reality is it is unlikely to happen.  The best we can do now is say, "we're number 8!, we're number 8!".  In all likelihood, however, we're probably further down the list than that.

If the AAC were wise, UNT would be at the top of their list. 

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

The AAC as it is now, is not going to lure any of the MWC big dogs.  MWC is stable.  AAC is volatile. 
So they're going to hit that "alternate" list very quickly.    Now, if the MWC decides to be proactive, and grab several of us C-USA Texas schools (or maybe LATech), That "alternate" list shrinks as well.

If I'm UTEP, I'm sweating bullets right now possibly watching all of these schools leave me behind.

• Upvote 4

23 minutes ago, keith said:

If I understand the article, the AAC has 7 schools on its short list of candidates.  We are not on that short list of 7.  The AAC is looking to add 4 schools to the conference.  If it is unable to secure 4 from its short list, there is an *additional* list of 10-12 schools it would look to next.  That makes UNT somewhere between 8th and 19th on AAC's wish list.  Hate to be the Debbie downer for people who get excited about a headline that says UNT on AAC list of candidates, but the reality is it is unlikely to happen.  The best we can do now is say, "we're number 8!, we're number 8!".  In all likelihood, however, we're probably further down the list than that.

Why would the author of this speak specifically about North Texas if they weren’t interested.  I am not following your logic.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

To reiterate....remember that SMU and TCU were in the SWC at the same time for years.

Also, the crowd last Saturday at Ford was the largest I have seen there between UNT and SMU.

In fact, probably one of their best crowds in a long time for any game.

Also UNT did not show up in force like we had in past years. Didn’t even take the band. 

Edited by meangreenbob
  • Upvote 4
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

39 minutes ago, keith said:

If I understand the article, the AAC has 7 schools on its short list of candidates.  We are not on that short list of 7.  The AAC is looking to add 4 schools to the conference.  If it is unable to secure 4 from its short list, there is an *additional* list of 10-12 schools it would look to next.  That makes UNT somewhere between 8th and 19th on AAC's wish list. 

That's not what the article is saying. AAC's ideal, pie in the sky situation is that they lure four MWC schools, and ideally Boise State is among those. That's not going to happen. Boise State already did this research and determined it was a lateral, if not bad financial move. This was released earlier this year when UH, Cincy, and UCF were still a part of the AAC.

Screen-Shot-2021-07-22-at-2.41.10-PM-800x471.png

So if the MWC is not an option, then the article states they want UAB and one to three from a list of 10-12. In that list of 10-12 is North Texas, FAU, and UTSA, in no particular order. Beyond the first five, the article just said "among those teams" and threw out the closest state schools to Houston and Orlando.

Edited by ColoradoEagle
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Jonnyeagle said:

Why would the author of this speak specifically about North Texas if they weren’t interested.  I am not following your logic.

It's not my logic....it's in the article.  

"It is believed the AAC will expand by at least four teams to get to 12 members."

AAC candidate list (7):  Air Force, Boise St, Colorado St, San Diego St, UAB, FAU, UTSA.

For now, if the AAC can't get its top choices listed above, there is an *additional group* of 10-12 teams that would be considered, sources said.

Let's assume that in that additional group of 10-12 teams we are on the top of that list.  That makes us the 8th choice overall.  Worst case we are at the bottom of that list (#12).  That makes us 19th in the pecking order.  Since we are not in the top 7, we must be between 8 and 19 (or 17, if it's only 10 additional schools).

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

The AAC is going to target new markets, not duplicate them with SMU and UNT. I doubt any MWC program will move to the AAC, and after that the top three targets I have seen more often than not are UAB,FAU [replacement for UCF] and UTSA, whom some say have the potential to be another Central Florida. The Roadrunners certainly are not Houston but San Antonia is still in a large South Texas market. If you only have 4 picks you are just not going to waste one in a market where you are already established such as Dallas. We bring nothing  to the table that SMU hasn't already done and done it better.Unless the MWC expands into Texas I fear we will be stuck in a depleted CUSA or SBC.

• RV 1
  • Oh Boy! 4

To put a visual on this, and do some guessing, here's what you have:

Pie in the Sky, You had me at Hello (4 schools)

• Air Force
  • Boise State
  • Colorado State
  • San Diego State

Damn, She Said No. Plan B (1 school)

• UAB

Need  more to drive this boat (1-3 schools) (no particular order, guesses for the other 9 in italics)

• North Texas
  • UTSA
  • FAU
  • FIU
  • La Tech
  • Southern Miss
  • Rice
  • Charlotte
  • UTEP
  • Georgia State
  • Appalachian State
  • Louisiana
Edited by ColoradoEagle
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, ColoradoEagle said:

That's not what the article is saying. AAC's ideal, pie in the sky situation is that they lure four MWC schools, and ideally Boise State is among those. That's not going to happen. Boise State already did this research and determined it was a lateral, if not bad financial move. This was released earlier this year when UH, Cincy, and UCF were still a part of the AAC.

Screen-Shot-2021-07-22-at-2.41.10-PM-800x471.png

So if the MWC is not an option, then the article states they want UAB and one to three from a list of 10-12. In that list of 10-12 is North Texas, FAU, and UTSA, in no particular order. Beyond the first five, the article just said "among those teams" and threw out the closest state schools to Houston and Orlando.

Agree that Boise isn't going to AAC.  Their sights are on PAC12 and anything that will get them there.

Re-read the article.  UNT is never mention with respect to the AAC.  We are only mentioned along with Tulsa as options for the MWC.  FAU and UTSA are mentioned in the context of AAC but not UNT.  

The article mentions AAC's top 5 targets + FAU and UTSA.  After that it's 10-12 additional schools.  The 10-12 is *after* the first 7 say no.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, keith said:

The article mentions AAC's top 5 targets + FAU and UTSA.  After that it's 10-12 additional schools.  The 10-12 is *after* the first 7 say no.

Re-read the quote:

"For now, if the AAC can't get its top choices listed above, there is an additional group of 10-12 teams that would be considered, sources said. Among those teams under consideration are FAU and UTSA of Conference USA."

He later adds UNT. You could literally rewrite it (accurately) to be "...there is an additional group of 10-12 teams that would be considered, sources said. Among those teams under consideration are FAU, UTSA, and UNT of Conference USA."

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, ColoradoEagle said:

Re-read the quote:

"For now, if the AAC can't get its top choices listed above, there is an additional group of 10-12 teams that would be considered, sources said. Among those teams under consideration are FAU and UTSA of Conference USA."

He later adds UNT. You could literally rewrite it (accurately) to be "...there is an additional group of 10-12 teams that would be considered, sources said. Among those teams under consideration are FAU, UTSA, and UNT of Conference USA."

He did a completely separate tweet for the express purpose of naming UNT as an option.  What is it with you guys and all the negativity?  We are going to get into either the AAC or MWC or maybe both!  And the reason why?

im smart enough stuart smalley GIF by Saturday Night Live

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, ColoradoEagle said:

Re-read the quote:

Yep. He corrected himself on Twitter adding UNT to the list with FAU and UTSA. I think that in this case even with SMU in the league, ESPN get’s to dictate who gets added to the league. They do not likely  want the MWC or CUSA to end up with UNT considering the programs bright future. UNT is closer to being the next UCF than either FAU or UTSA.

• Upvote 1

Re-read the quote:

I guess we can agree to disagree on what the article actually says or agree that it is a poorly written article. 

Your quote above is correct.  He then goes on to list the top 7 (the top 5 + FAU and UTSA).  We are not on that list.  I'm not suggesting we aren't on their list at all, just that we are a lot further down the list than people think.  No better than 8th according to Mr. Dodd.  If we are 8th, then AFA, Boise, Colorado St and San Diego State all have to say thanks, but no thanks before any invite comes our way (assuming UAB, FAU and UTSA all say yes).

AAC candidates

• Air Force: Service academy partner with Navy, already an AAC member.
  • Boise State: Established football excellence. Possible travel partner for other Western candidates. Might have to decide between the AAC now or Big 12 down the line.
  • Colorado State: One of the best new stadiums in the country. The football program is struggling, and CSU doesn't exactly deliver the Denver market.
  • San Diego State: New stadium, beautiful city, West Coast talent. But if the AAC stays (somewhat) intact, why would SDSU leave the best remaining Group of Five league? Its only other option would be a Big 12 that wants to expand beyond 14. Travel would be an issue.
  • UAB: The city of Birmingham, coach Bill Clark and athletic director Mark Ingram deserve tremendous credit for making the program attractive since it was shut down in 2014. 
  • FAU: A Sunshine State replacement for UCF. Lane Kiffin showed the Owls' potential winning two conference titles in three years. 
  • UTSA: A rising program in a large market that would theoretically replace Houston in the state of Texas.

Other than his geographical lineup at the end, this is the only mention of North Texas in the article:

Mountain West: North Texas and Tulsa are under consideration by the MWC. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, ColoradoEagle said:

He doesn't list the "top 7", he gives more information on the schools he mentioned. You are truly beat down by years of being a Mean Green fan, keith. 🤣

I can't tell if you're joking or just in denial that we're not getting an invite from the AAC. It would take all the listed MWC schools and about 3 CUSA schools saying no for us to get an invite to the AAC. That ain't happening. 

5 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

I can't tell if you're joking or just in denial that we're not getting an invite from the AAC. It would take all the listed MWC schools and about 3 CUSA schools saying no for us to get an invite to the AAC. That ain't happening. 

I don't know who's getting an invite to what. I don't think FAU or UTSA are at the top of any actual list, but I'm sure they're part of the 10-12 mentioned. For all I know, the original MWC schools ditch that conference along with Boise and UAB to make the AAC a 16 team conference.

What I've been trying to point out is that we're not as low on the totem pole and UTSA/FAU are not as high as some people here seem to think.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, wardly said:

The AAC is going to target new markets, not duplicate them with SMU and UNT. I doubt any MWC program will move to the AAC, and after that the top three targets I have seen more often than not are UAB,FAU [replacement for UCF] and UTSA, whom some say have the potential to be another Central Florida. The Roadrunners certainly are not Houston but San Antonia is still in a large South Texas market. If you only have 4 picks you are just not going to waste one in a market where you are already established such as Dallas. We bring nothing  to the table that SMU hasn't already done and done it better.Unless the MWC expands into Texas I fear we will be stuck in a depleted CUSA or SBC.

Wardly, you're such a "debbie downer".  But probably correct in you assessment.

If this were all happening in 2018, UNT is at the very top of the list:   
Football with back-to-back 9-win seasons.   
The up-&-coming hot shot HC Littrell.
A CBI champion basketball school on the come-up.
Ink dried on a contract for a state-of-the-art IPF.
Great Academics...  we're a no-brainer pick.

EDIT:   Fast-forward to 2021.   The IPF is done, and the b-ball program & academics have only gotten better...    What is keeping UNT from being at the top of the list???    Football, and football only.

Edited by MeanGreenTexan
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Cr1028 said:

Man how bad does it feel for a school that many thought was beneath being called a rival of ours to have already passed us by.

The timing is right.   Traylor turned that ship around quickly.

If this discussion were happening in August of 2020, UTSA is likely barely mentioned....   It's all about the football.

• Upvote 2

No one is basing conference realignment on what football teams have done the past year or two. UTSA is getting mentioned, because most people in the media are guessing and they're looking at UTSA saying, "they could own San Antonio!" So they're logical in those writers' minds. Hell, outside of going 7-5 last year, their records for the two years before that are 4-8 and 3-9.

Once you peel back the curtain (which will be done by conferences as part of this process), you find an underfunded athletics program with nearly non-existent facilities, and absolutely no basketball program. I feel like after reading several boards, nobody has a bigger crush on UTSA than UNT fans.

No way.
I guarantee you if Frank Wilson is still at UTSA and they finish 2020 with 4 wins again (like UNT did), UTSA is only considered an "also-ran" like UNT, with the same reason ("They could get the SA market!!", or in our case, "They can help bolster the gigantic DFW market!!").
BUT!  They won last year, and they appear to be a favorite to outright win C-USA this year, so why wouldn't you want to add that PLUS the SA market?

• Confused 1