American targeting MWC Powers Among Others For Expansion

UNTcrazy727

1 hour ago, Rowdy said:

I like this.  I do like the idea of AAC, but if Memphis gets taken too, whats left?  nothing very enticing although still better than CUSA.  I go back and forth on weather MWC would actually be better, but we also dont know how all the shuffling of teams is going to play out.  What are your thoughts on the two conferences?  Would you rather AAC or MWC? 

The risk with either is that the shuffling will continue. The reward is that even if they both lose/gain teams they will probably be considered better than CUSA. Yes, at this time both would be considered "upgrades" but what you end up with is yet to be determined (reference the push by the teams to leave the Sun Belt for CUSA) 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

34 minutes ago, RBP79 said:

I keep seeing posts declaring MWC is too hard for NT fans to attend games. Have those that have this concern been to any NT away games other than SmuT? I've been to several recently and it's not like 1000's of UNT fans show up. It's mainly parents and a few loyal Alums. Don't think ease of attendance should be a driving factor.

La Tech, UTSA, Rice and that’s about it. Sometimes UTEP 

5 hours ago, RBP79 said:

I keep seeing posts declaring MWC is too hard for NT fans to attend games. Have those that have this concern been to any NT away games other than SmuT? I've been to several recently and it's not like 1000's of UNT fans show up. It's mainly parents and a few loyal Alums. Don't think ease of attendance should be a driving factor.

I wonder how many would show up in Vegas? MWC has a lot of direct flights to nice destinations. GMG

Edited by Wag Tag
  • Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

Speaking of:

image.png.bfe3baa29f239fdaad05d41bcb545ae5.png

Just talked to my wife about it.....thinking we'll be making that trip. Exactly 1 year from today. Can't wait to check out that stadium.

Same here. Stadium is so crazy looking, really excited about next years travel. Wanting to go to Memphis as well

• Upvote 1

Another MWC stop:

My sister & her late husband lived in Colorado Springs—home of the Air Force Academy Falcons.  Drove from Denton to go see them & the drive was not bad—in fact it was enjoyable. 

Sitting in their Living Room you could look out their picture window & get an unbelievable view of Pikes Peak & the hotel at the top of the peak.  

••• We took a side trip out of Colorado Springs to Cripple Creek— an old mining & tourist town.  The Crystal Hotel was also a popular tourist spot in Cripple Creek. 

❇️🦅 One of my nephews is a UNT grad, but his first college football game to attend as a young boy was a Notre Dame at Air Force game his late dad took him to see.  

•••

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 3

18 hours ago, Rowdy said:

Just about anything is better than this CUSA setup we have going on.  

Except a sun belt where you are the only football school in Texas. But this was a different experience, but it has shown that, from an NT perspective- things could actually be worse than the current C-USA. Which is actually why NT should move, as some teams likely will eventually leave C-USA and C-USA is unfortunately more likely to get worse, than it is to get better. The only exception would be if all those leaving are all eastern teams, then C-USA actually improves from a Texas perspective, otherwise it becomes no better than being in the sun belt, maybe worse.

If the Texas C-USA schools split, then I think NT and UTSA being in the same place makes a lot of sense for both. Rice is academically prestigous -which is not unimportant- but tiny and has no attendance, and UTEP has just sooooo many problems and limited potential. Whether folks at NT  like it or not, UTSA and NT are most alike (even though I am aware that UTEP and UTSA are both system schools). If the MWC expands by two rather than four, I don't see why they would pick Tulsa over UTSA or LaTech (why would Tulsa leave sideways unless they are in dire straights). For a number of reasons, including geography, NT would however probably make even more sense for MWC than those two.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 1

On 9/17/2021 at 7:20 AM, TheColonyEagle said:

There are some pretty solid FCS teams in that part of the country...good point. 

North Dakota St comes to mind

edit: I guess technically NDSU isn’t “in” that part of the country but it’s cold 

Fargo is farther from most of the mwc than Denton is. But you might be right in that they’d look there and Sodak st, but there are some strong regional rivals they’d be giving up.