UAB Bill Clark Press Conference notes

Coach Andy Mac

On what is different about UNT this year…
"Offensively they are high tempo and they run a lot of tempo plays. Their biggest improvement already is their defense. They've had some times that they were good on defense and probably weren't quite as good as maybe they wanted to be the last few years. I see them coming back. You know they made a change at their defensive coordinator spot, I know him. They're going to be better there and they're always tough."

On preparing for UNT high tempo offense…
"I think one of the things we do and we have been doing for years is we put two huddles going at us just as fast as we can go. I think that is the only way you can simulate them is just practice. You got those two huddles coming at you. Your guys are just waiting for it. It is tough, and I don't care how much you do it. They move fast, and they are going to spread you horizontally. If you look at their splits with their receivers, they are at the bottom of the numbers. So, that really opens up running lanes and you have a quarterback who can make those throws. They have a transfer from North Carolina with a big arm. He can run so it is going to be a big challenge. Last year statistically, they were one of the top teams in the country in the numbers categories."

read more:  https://uabsports.com/news/2021/9/13/uab-football-week-3-transcript-at-north-texas.aspx

• Thanks 2

58 minutes ago, greenminer said:

When people say "fast" offense, I think Sumlin-Houston fast.

We are not that.

Yeah I was thinking our offense actually looked slow at SMU (to my untrained eye)

lots of going to the line and then standing up to get the play then running the play. 

fast or uptempo tells me they get the play off really quick and put pressure on the defense, no time for subs, etc. 

🤷🏼‍♂️

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

Yeah I was thinking our offense actually looked slow at SMU (to my untrained eye)

lots of going to the line and then standing up to get the play then running the play. 

fast or uptempo tells me they get the play off really quick and put pressure on the defense, no time for subs, etc. 

🤷🏼‍♂️

Yep, we aren't fast.  I hate the get set and the look at the sidelines style.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

To be up tempo the OC has to have three to four plays already in his head and ready to go. If you watch Ole Miss the play is already in and going once everyone is set. Running the prairie dog offense can just keep you from subbing in and out on D.  If Fast is what we need have a plan not a reaction. If you need a little rest for your D the prairie dog is the call.