Littrell Previews C-USA Opener with UAB

Coach Andy Mac

DENTON, Texas — After opening the season 1-1, North Texas Football returns home at 6:30 p.m. CT Saturday to take on UAB in the Conference USA opener for both teams. The game will be broadcast on Stadium.

The defense is making strides
With conference football less than a week away, head coach Seth Littrell said he's encouraged by the defense's progression under new defensive coordinator Phil Bennett

"It's game two in this defensive system, and there's still a lot of room for improvements across the board," Littrell said. "We look forward to continuing to build off the positives and keep getting better on our negatives."

Safety Makyle Sanders said the fundamentals got past the defense on Saturday.

"I think one big thing we need to work on defensively is tackling," Sanders said. "We missed a couple of tackles, so I think that's one of the biggest things, and knowing what we're supposed to do." 

With negatives though come positives. Through two games, the Mean Green have only one less forced turnover than the entirety of last season. Sanders said it comes down to "trusting the technique, trusting the scheme, and being in the right place at the right time."

Linebacker KD Davis also emphasized trusting what the players are taught throughout the week leading up to gameday. 

"It's trusting the technique and doing what you're coached to do. That's all you can do. Just give great effort," Davis said. "Coach has put us in position all week, so when it's game time you've got to make the play when it comes your way."

North Texas didn't allow the Mustangs to score until the 3:50 mark of the second quarter. Davis said following through into the entire game is critical to the team's success this week. 

"The way we played in the first half of the SMU game, we know that we can do it," Davis said. "Now we just have to do it for four quarters until the game is over. We know that we have to finish."

Sanders put it more simply.

"We have to come with our 'A' game," Sanders said. "We have to come with our big boy pads."

Thriving through the air
The offense was also not without its mistakes and triumphs. Sophomore wide receiver Roderic Burns boasts the most catches and third most receiving yards in the conference through two games, and Littrell said he's been encouraged by the progression of the passing game.

"I thought our vertical passing game was better, which is something we definitely needed to get going," Littrell said. "It's something we stressed this past week, and it got better. We still have a lot of room for improvements, but Rod's been spectacular the first two games. He's made a lot of plays."

It's not just Burns that makes this group effective. Sophomore Jyaire Shorter has impressed over the past six weeks. 

"[Shorter's] a big guy that plays physically, and he can run," Littrell said. "He's another guy that has a lot of game experience, and he's made a lot of plays, and so I think with that brings confidence … The more comfortable he gets throughout the season the better he'll get."

Quarterback Jace Ruder also heaped some praise.

"Jyaire brings everything. He loves the game of football … He's locked in 100% of the time. He brings speed, agility, he can jump, he's strong — he's one of the strongest guys on the team — so Jyaire's got it all, and he's going to come out every day and work his butt off."

Ruder also said sophomore Tommy Bush is an important addition to the wide receiver room thanks to his experience in Power Five football.

"Tommy's a fun dude. Coming in from Georgia, he knows what it takes," Ruder said. "The more people you're around, the more you learn different perspectives from different coaches, different players and different techniques, and it kind of allows you to create your toolbox."

The transfer quarterback said he loves that he can trust any of them to grab a deep ball out of the air.

"I like to say, when I throw the ball up, that's their ball. That's my wideout's ball," Ruder said. "They do a great job of going up and getting it and making a play on it. Even if it's by rule a 50/50 ball, I like to consider it more of an 80/20 or a 90/10 with the guys we've got."

Home sweet home
After a loss on the road, it's always good to come back home and feel the love from the fanbase. Littrell and Ruder each said the team is excited to be back under the lights of Apogee.

"Your home crowd brings a lot of energy," Littrell said. "We love playing here in front of our fans, in front of our students and alumni. They do a great job, and we can feed off that energy."

"With experience you're going to be more comfortable," Ruder said. "In my first start, I was really excited. Thankfully, it was at home, and I got to experience Apogee at its finest, and I'm excited to get back here against UAB and see all of our fans there."

Heading into conference play also gives the team a fresh start. Sanders said a new 0-0 record allows the Mean Green to focus on what their plan is going forward.

"We need to see what we are defensively and offensively, just as a whole team," Sanders said. "Having them as our first game is really big …  I think we can be a big factor in the conference."

UAB is coming off conference championships in two of the past three seasons, and Littrell said they are one of the best teams in an incredible conference.

"I've always said there are a lot of great teams and coaches and a lot of great players in this league," Littrell said. "Coach Clark does an unbelievable job at UAB. They're one of the top teams in our league."

Davis echoed Littrell's high regard for the Blazers, but he also said the anticipation for this game adds to the clean slate feeling.

"I'm glad UAB is the first conference game because they've won it two of the past three years," Davis said. "Being able to see where we're going to be, being able to play them and get after them is going to be a great feeling."