Jump to content
  • Welcome to GoMeanGreen.com!

    Thank you for visiting us!  Registering is easy and free, and provides you with the ability to participate in the discussions along with many cool features and content.

Gary Patterson - Confirms the boosters need to step up and pay players


Recommended Posts

This is ridiculous.

"Patterson claimed five SEC schools have reached out to a current, unnamed Horned Frogs freshman with guarantees of what he'd earn on their campus after a transfer.

“We’re going to have to be up and running for my group by the end of November,” Patterson said, “or I have a chance to lose 25, 30 guys. That’s as plain and simple as I can speak of it.”

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

This is ridiculous.

"Patterson claimed five SEC schools have reached out to a current, unnamed Horned Frogs freshman with guarantees of what he'd earn on their campus after a transfer.

“We’re going to have to be up and running for my group by the end of November,” Patterson said, “or I have a chance to lose 25, 30 guys. That’s as plain and simple as I can speak of it.”

 

Who saw this coming .... EVERYONE

  • Upvote 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Coach Andy Mac
This post was recognized by Coach Andy Mac!

"Spot on. Recruiting as we know it is over."

El Paso Eagle was awarded the badge 'Great Content' and 20 points.

Soon we will be looking back on the days when HS kids were recruited to most schools. Not going to be worth the time and resources to recruit and train for another school. Teams will be made up of transfers soon.

 

P.S. - Something has to be done about the recruiting of players by other schools. Don't want to hear the Bull shit that the schools do not control what the boosters do. If a school, or someone representing a school reaches out directly, or through a 3rd party, to a player or their families/friends before they enter the portal there needs to be severe consequences. Schools need to lose scholarships and be banned from post season play. High School coaches who help recruit their old players should be punished also. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just let it happen--let those power schools eat each other up and let the rest of us play amateurs that make alumni proud. Seriously, there are about 30 teams that can compete with this. And its not like TCU is poor or that FW doesn't provide them tons of support--yet they are watching SEC schools poaching hard on their rosters.

This is exactly why I've wanted the schism to get done and let these power schools go their own way and let the rest of us just play true college football and still get the chance to be a national champion at our level of play. We don't need to be classified or considered the same as Texas, A&M, OU, Arkansas, etc...they play in front of crowds that are 4-5x bigger than ours and they make infinitely more in revenue than we could ever dream of making. Its ok to admit this--its not making our degree any less valuable or making anyone a lesser fan...

  • Upvote 6
  • Eye Roll 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, untjim1995 said:

Just let it happen--let those power schools eat each other up and let the rest of us play amateurs that make alumni proud. Seriously, there are about 30 teams that can compete with this. And its not like TCU is poor or that FW doesn't provide them tons of support--yet they are watching SEC schools poaching hard on their rosters.

This is exactly why I've wanted the schism to get done and let these power schools go their own way and let the rest of us just play true college football and still get the chance to be a national champion at our level of play. We don't need to be classified or considered the same as Texas, A&M, OU, Arkansas, etc...they play in front of crowds that are 4-5x bigger than ours and they make infinitely more in revenue than we could ever dream of making. Its ok to admit this--its not making our degree any less valuable or making anyone a lesser fan...

The reason they are considering changing the rules to allow up to 7 transfers a year to have their scholarships "replaced" has nothing to do with caring about HS recruits and everything to do with P5 schools poaching players, and more importantly - having their players (backups) poached.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It’s really a take of two sports fans. My big conference aka sec friends would rather sit at home or In A bar and watch Georgia Clemson than go to the stadium and watch Appy state vs coastal Carolina. Give me the in person experience everyday, I can record  or playback highlights of Alabama Florida.

but I’ve always been this way. I bussed to Lamo to watch us play 1AA ball versus watching Oklahoma Nebraska. 
 

I haven’t changed but football sure has. The big conference fans don’t realize me and we are out there and don’t care. And I don’t care back.

GMG

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, NM Green said:

It’s really a take of two sports fans. My big conference aka sec friends would rather sit at home or In A bar and watch Georgia Clemson than go to the stadium and watch Appy state vs coastal Carolina. Give me the in person experience everyday, I can record  or playback highlights of Alabama Florida.

but I’ve always been this way. I bussed to Lamo to watch us play 1AA ball versus watching Oklahoma Nebraska. 
 

I haven’t changed but football sure has. The big conference fans don’t realize me and we are out there and don’t care. And I don’t care back.

GMG

I'm right there with you. Hell, watching a game at Fouts was just an awful fan experience--and I preferred it over watching a game on TV between two teams that don't need my eyeballs or my money.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, untjim1995 said:

Just let it happen--let those power schools eat each other up and let the rest of us play amateurs that make alumni proud. Seriously, there are about 30 teams that can compete with this. And its not like TCU is poor or that FW doesn't provide them tons of support--yet they are watching SEC schools poaching hard on their rosters.

This is exactly why I've wanted the schism to get done and let these power schools go their own way and let the rest of us just play true college football and still get the chance to be a national champion at our level of play. We don't need to be classified or considered the same as Texas, A&M, OU, Arkansas, etc...they play in front of crowds that are 4-5x bigger than ours and they make infinitely more in revenue than we could ever dream of making. Its ok to admit this--its not making our degree any less valuable or making anyone a lesser fan...

This.

My schadenfroner is gonna be at full mast for the next 4-ish years watching the bottom half of the P5 getting dumped in the garbage by a system they've propped up and benefitted from for decades. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Monkeypox said:

This.

My schadenfroner is gonna be at full mast for the next 4-ish years watching the bottom half of the P5 getting dumped in the garbage by a system they've propped up and benefitted from for decades. 

Watching Baylor get their players taken away without their permission will be peak schadenfreude...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Soon we will be looking back on the days when HS kids were recruited to most schools. Not going to be worth the time and resources to recruit and train for another school. Teams will be made up of transfers soon.

 

P.S. - Something has to be done about the recruiting of players by other schools. Don't want to hear the Bull shit that the schools do not control what the boosters do. If a school, or someone representing a school reaches out directly, or through a 3rd party, to a player or their families/friends before they enter the portal there needs to be severe consequences. Schools need to lose scholarships and be banned from post season play. High School coaches who help recruit their old players should be punished also. 

This post is obsolete, this is what used to happen.

No need, for sutrafuge now, just let the player know how much he will be paid and find the fans to pay for his NIL.  

The NCAA is so afraid of more lawsuits which they will probably lose, that there is basically no control over buying recruits anymore.  

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

This post is obsolete, this is what used to happen.

No need, for sutrafuge now, just let the player know how much he will be paid and find the fans to pay for his NIL.  

The NCAA is so afraid of more lawsuits which they will probably lose, that there is basically no control over buying recruits anymore.  

A sad day in this era of the NCAA, but didn’t we all know this was going to happen?

What if the NCAA hollered “APRIL FOOL!” & then started listing schools who would be eligible for the 2’nd Death Penalty in history?🥶

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

Just let it happen--let those power schools eat each other up and let the rest of us play amateurs that make alumni proud. Seriously, there are about 30 teams that can compete with this. And its not like TCU is poor or that FW doesn't provide them tons of support--yet they are watching SEC schools poaching hard on their rosters.

This is exactly why I've wanted the schism to get done and let these power schools go their own way and let the rest of us just play true college football and still get the chance to be a national champion at our level of play. We don't need to be classified or considered the same as Texas, A&M, OU, Arkansas, etc...they play in front of crowds that are 4-5x bigger than ours and they make infinitely more in revenue than we could ever dream of making. Its ok to admit this--its not making our degree any less valuable or making anyone a lesser fan...

On this we agree.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The only thing that has changed is that the kids who might have been rules followers and wouldn’t jump at money to transfer (see Mason Fine) when offered now don’t have a moral issue to navigate.  It’s no longer against the rules to be open about paying players.

But this isn’t new.  Alabama doesn’t have a 3 deep of NFL bound linemen by just being being good or having a track record.  They have the best network of boosters and corporate contracts/partners who pay the most in combination with being good.  

The story I’m waiting for is when someone finally is able to trace the money trail back directly to ESPN.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, TIgreen01 said:

The only thing that has changed is that the kids who might have been rules followers and wouldn’t jump at money to transfer (see Mason Fine) when offered now don’t have a moral issue to navigate.  It’s no longer against the rules to be open about paying players.

But this isn’t new.  Alabama doesn’t have a 3 deep of NFL bound linemen by just being being good or having a track record.  They have the best network of boosters and corporate contracts/partners who pay the most in combination with being good.  

The story I’m waiting for is when someone finally is able to trace the money trail back directly to ESPN.

The new game of rules, with basically no rules. The grey area is basically gone. You can promise kids money and be open about the connections you can provide to them if they sign. I am sure one of SMU's selling points to these transfers is that they can connect them with the "money" players who are alumni. As you say, the "moral issues" are not as big an issue anymore and while players will complain about be "used" by the universities, they will continue to sign with schools who would have nothing to do with them if they could not play. They new age of everyone using everyone.

PS - With all of the transferring have the APR standards even matter anymore?

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think it's going to be rough for a few years, but with the relaxed transfer rules, this could result in a circumstance where underperformers at P5(P4?) schools lose income opportunities because the get eclipsed by the next big thing every year. The turnover rate at P5 schools could be pretty spectacular and we might actually see more talent come down to the G5(G6?) level.

Or it could be a cluster****.  I'm just imagining all the guys on P5 rosters 3 deep that want to play and get exposure that could absolutely come start at the G5 level, especially on harder to recruit positions (O and Dline, TE, corners, safeties). 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Please review our full Privacy Policy before using our site.