What Is Our Brand???

Hookset

Coach Andy Mac
This post was recognized by Coach Andy Mac!

"Very good and valid points made here."

keith was awarded the badge 'Great Content' and 20 points.

16 minutes ago, Mean Green Matt said:

To your first po

True regarding how most refer to it, but I highly doubt anyone outside this area would associate the UNT acronym with North Texas. At least not without considerable thought or context. North Texas on the other hand connects us with the history of the past but projects a different vibe IMO than NTSU (which is only stuck in the minds of old people and trolls). We are, at the end of the day, a regional school. But it’s a massive freakin region. We need to own that and take it over. 

I used to think that way too, but I’ve grown.  Consider Central Florida (is central a direction?).  Anyway, they abandoned Central Florida in favor of UCF and that’s how everyone knows them and now there’s a “directional” school in the B12.  What has the world come to?  Winning helps, of course.  Don’t start with Southern Cal. 

BTW, we are a national university, not a regional university. 

Edited by keith
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, keith said:

I used to think that way too, but I’ve grown.  Consider Central Florida (is central a direction?).  Anyway, they abandoned Central Florida in favor of UCF and that’s how everyone knows them and now there’s a “directional” school in the B12.  What has the world come to?  Winning helps, of course.  Don’t start with Southern Cal. 

BTW, we are a national university, not a regional university. 

I’m not so dug in that I don’t see your points, but:

1) UCF is a MUCH better acronym. 
2) Central Florida is a much sparer region. 
3) They had no meaningful history as Central Florida. 

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1

We don’t have a sports brand. Short lived run during the Buick’s tenure gave us some local recognition. Right now Jorge Dunham’s force feeding of NT at the ticket is about all we have. A good football program in Texas would send this University into the stratosphere. Look what happened to TCU. SMU has tried every trick in the book to get there but have failed, NT being a public university can. How many times have we heard/read/said this: NT is a Sleeping Giant? We’re a drunk, fat, lazy, sleeping giant at the moment I guess….

Edited by Got5onIt
  • Upvote 2

The new students and younger graduates identify with UNT. In fact, most of them I have talked to at games don't know who Joe Greene is. I personally dislike the "Mean Green " attachment to our EAGLE brand, as we certainly are not "Mean" on the football field as our record testifies and when it comes to giving we are more "Lean" than "Mean". R.V. went to "Mean Green" because of the large number of high schools in the area that had an "Eagle" as their mascot and he wanted separation from them.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, greenjoe said:

While I would rather you simply say you disagree with my post ( your down vote hurts my reputation score) , I’m glad that you took ownership of your down vote.  I have never given a down vote and I never will.  I’m glad you aren’t hiding behind a keyboard as so many have.  

GO MEAN GREEN

My man Joe - you never have to worry about your reputation.