What Is Our Brand???

Hookset

10 hours ago, NT93 said:

Never thought of it until now, but how about the battle flag with the SOW on it?  If I actually saw one I might not like it, but…maybe???

FWIW I’m a fan of both the battle flag and the SOW.  I like the flying worm as a retro logo, but everything else I could do without.  Oh, and I do like the font of the “North Texas” that lwe use.

I actually have a green and black flag that looks like the US flag with the SOW where the stars would be. Kinda cool.

It's actually not the "diving eagle."  It's this:

image.png.471be3dbc3007929ff17cf8507a8590e.png

Which is worse.

The problem with our university mark/logo (the connected eagle and UNT or even the eagle alone) is it doesn't translate well when it's minimized to fit on a web page with other school logos or on the TV screen score banner.  The dimensions are all wrong.    

Here are a few examples that attempt to use the diving eagle....

No one not from UNT would know what that white blob in the middle of the green circle is.

image.png.4078ca63ee55a64a5aa8e28bb3bfc9c8.png

The second one is a little better, but again is mostly unrecognizable to anyone not already in the know.

image.png.bf930e8d26b11e157c39bfeb7314c586.png

Here's how we look on ESPN (at least they are trying to use our official logo):

image.png.f72eb0a28ed0bc9142a9f33d433c17cd.png

Compare that to the Texas Tech (or even FIU logo for that matter):

image.png.b1d82fa592a757a3b145b1bc9420085a.png

Compare what ESPN is doing with our official logo to:

image.png.0a3d65ec82613a1419b421b7e3e0d65f.png    or    image.png.8fbf65f9f4e8db34911cb335a84b2f51.png     

While we are at it (and this is going to be controversial) I think it's time for us to emphasize UNT over North Texas.  UNT is the school, North Texas is a region.  Personally, I don't like seeing N. Texas, North Tex, Nor Tex or the absolute worst, No Texas listed in various college scores.

Edited by keith
  • Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

I'd love to hear why you feel that way. Everyone seems to want it used more in some fashion and it's a logo we've used multiple times in the past. 

That logo represents the past, and many associate it with “throwbacks”

Moving more towards “Mean Green” with the diving eagle should be the ultimate goal. We don’t have the prestige past as other schools have. We haven’t really had a true identity, but I think now it’s time to set that. Stick with something (Diving Eagle) and run with it.

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, keith said:

It's actually not the "diving eagle."  It's this:

image.png.471be3dbc3007929ff17cf8507a8590e.png

Which is worse.

The problem with our university mark/logo (the connected eagle and UNT or even the eagle alone) is it doesn't translate well when it's minimized to fit on a web page with other school logos or on the TV screen score banner.  The dimensions are all wrong.    

Here are a few examples that attempt to use the diving eagle....

No one not from UNT would know what that white blob in the middle of the green circle is.

image.png.4078ca63ee55a64a5aa8e28bb3bfc9c8.png

The second one is a little better, but again is mostly unrecognizable to anyone not already in the know.

image.png.bf930e8d26b11e157c39bfeb7314c586.png

Here's how we look on ESPN (at least they are trying to use our official logo):

image.png.f72eb0a28ed0bc9142a9f33d433c17cd.png

Compare that to the Texas Tech (or even FIU logo for that matter):

image.png.b1d82fa592a757a3b145b1bc9420085a.png

Compare what ESPN is doing with our official logo to:

image.png.0a3d65ec82613a1419b421b7e3e0d65f.png    or    image.png.8fbf65f9f4e8db34911cb335a84b2f51.png     

While we are at it (and this is going to be controversial) I think it's time for us to emphasize UNT over North Texas.  UNT is the school, North Texas is a region.  Personally, I don't like seeing N. Texas, North Tex, Nor Tex or the absolute worst, No Texas listed in various college scores.

You beat me to each and every point of my response. The ESPN bit in particular is continually infuriating because you know our SID was told by URCM UBSC to only reference the diving eagle-word mark and it looks TURRIBLE.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, greenjoe said:

I wish my fellow Mean Green supporters had the nerve to attach their name to their down votes.

That one was me 😂 I truly think it's the first down I've given you. A new dawn.

Edited by SteaminWillieBeamin
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, greenjoe said:

While I would rather you simply say you disagree with my post ( your down vote hurts my reputation score) , I’m glad that you took ownership of your down vote.  I have never given a down vote and I never will.  I’m glad you aren’t hiding behind a keyboard as so many have.  

GO MEAN GREEN

I don’t think I have given a down vote either. Just prefer to move on from a comment I don’t agree with.
But, there is a reputation score?

Never knew this.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, greenjoe said:

While I would rather you simply say you disagree with my post ( your down vote hurts my reputation score) , I’m glad that you took ownership of your down vote.  I have never given a down vote and I never will.  I’m glad you aren’t hiding behind a keyboard as so many have.  

GO MEAN GREEN

Quote of the week, because there are too many keyboard warriors who hide behind emoticon skirts on these fan forums.  

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

53 minutes ago, greenjoe said:

GO MEAN GREEN

43 minutes ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

Quote of the week, because there are too many keyboard warriors who hide behind emoticon skirts on these fan forums.  

There are a few around here who toss out -1s for fun, especially in the bball forum.  The "You're post of full of shit" mindset Is not the only thing fueling these downvotes, and you can't really dwell on them or challenge them like it's some kind of grown man card.

I actually disagree on “UNT”. The acronym has always bothered me, and not only because of the heckling vulgarities directed toward us. My preference is “North Texas” with “NT” as the acronym. I realize some people have directional issues with North Texas, but think the name is capable of transcending that of a directional school. Like North Carolina but not actually it’s own state. I have a bunch of other hot branding and identity opinions if any of you would like to subscribe to my newsletter. 

• Upvote 1
  • Ray 1

27 minutes ago, Mean Green Matt said:

I actually disagree on “UNT”. The acronym has always bothered me, and not only because of the heckling vulgarities directed toward us. My preference is “North Texas” with “NT” as the acronym. I realize some people have directional issues with North Texas, but think the name is capable of transcending that of a directional school. Like North Carolina but not actually it’s own state. I have a bunch of other hot branding and identity opinions if any of you would like to subscribe to my newsletter. 

Come on Matt, get with the program (haha).  Ask current students or recent grads where they go to school and the vast majority say UNT, not North Texas.  The vulgarities are on those that use them and speak to their maturity, not ours.  North Texas Is just one syllable away from North Texas State which we haven’t been able to shed after 30 years.  We need to talk. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, keith said:

Come on Matt, get with the program (haha).  Ask current students or recent grads where they go to school and the vast majority say UNT, not North Texas.  The vulgarities are on those that use them and speak to their maturity, not ours.  North Texas Is just one syllable away from North Texas State which we haven’t been able to shed after 30 years.  We need to talk. 

To your first po

2 minutes ago, keith said:

True regarding how most refer to it, but I highly doubt anyone outside this area would associate the UNT acronym with North Texas. At least not without considerable thought or context. North Texas on the other hand connects us with the history of the past but projects a different vibe IMO than NTSU (which is only stuck in the minds of old people and trolls). We are, at the end of the day, a regional school. But it’s a massive freakin region. We need to own that and take it over. 

• Upvote 1