Most Iconic Play

jdennis82

Mark Packer on Sirius's ESPNU channel opened discussion to "what is you school's most iconic play?"  Got me curious what the board would say on this topic about our Mean Green.

Three immediately came to mind:

- The Shoe (10/23.2004) - Jamario Thomas runs 77 yards losing a shoe in the process against New Mexico State.

- The Convoy (11/01/2008) - Tobe Nwigwe take an interception back 97 yards to seal the win vs Western Kentucky

- The Fake Fair Catch (9/15/2018) - Keegan Brewer returns a punt 90 yards using fair catch body language to catch the Arkansas coverage team off guard.

Any others worth considering that I've missed?

• Upvote 4

Jamario's entire game against Colorado as a freshman.  The play that stands out to me from that is what I remember as his first TD run of the game where he hurdled two defenders.

T.J. Covington's 100 yard fumble return against Utah St in '04.

Booger's sack, interception, somersault vs. MTSU.

The Stand

The Drive

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

These are all great for one play. If it was a series, I would go with the stand against Rice

I agree and I would go with the final 4th down of the stand as my most iconic.

Woody Wilson’s 33 yard touchdown run the first time we played SMU again after a 14 year hiatus back in ‘06 was pretty special to me too.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

Ask yourself this question, would anyone outside of the die hard 5000 fans on here know about any play listed above other than the Greatest Punt Return in College Football History? Then ask fans from outside of UNT what play of ours they would remember...that punt return was national news and made SL and Biagi, the ST coach, prime interviews around the region for weeks.

Most publicity we have ever gotten nationally...and even regionally. And its not even close...

I don’t know. This one is pretty memorable. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 4
  • Oh Boy! 1

2 hours ago, meangreenacct said:

I agree with most of the ones so far - just have to post video of this, one of my favorites

This is mine as well. Booger’s all-in-one, sack-force fumble-recovery/INT thing-a-ma-roll.

simone biles gives it 9/10

anyone have a replay of the Colorado game with JaMario? I haven’t seen it

• Upvote 1

So many memorable plays in my 20+ years of fandom, but the Fake Fair Catch is the only logical answer, given the premise of the exercise.  That is the play that has gained the most national attention and brought a high-level of name recognition to the team.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

...except it wasn't Lee.  It was Sed Ellis:

And we may not see another hit like that again because that is 100% targeting today.

Ah Lee was the one that hit the Rice QB in the stand

Still such a dominant hit, even if it was a little tad bit of targeting🤣

• Upvote 3