Ford vs Apogee

meangreenbob

8 hours ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

Parking: Apogee

Tailgate: Apogee

Acoustics: Apogee Push...I can't in good faith say ours is better. It's awful.

Sightlines: Apogee 

Airflow: Apogee Push...I think this might depend on where you're sitting. I can't really tell a difference. 

Concessions: Apogee

I'll add that I would give Ford an advantage in exterior aesthetics. It fits in seamlessly with the campus.   

I've never heard it loud in Ford, at least not without a big program playing the ponies there, and then it's only loud because of the visiting fans.  Apogee, on the other hand, sounds extremely loud.

The airflow, especially in the concourse, is far better than Ford.  

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Rudy said:

I've never heard it loud in Ford, at least not without a big program playing the ponies there, and then it's only loud because of the visiting fans.  Apogee, on the other hand, sounds extremely loud.

The airflow, especially in the concourse, is far better than Ford.  

I think he is referencing the PA system and not crowd acoustics.

• Upvote 1

https://www.smu.edu/ignited

This was the fundraising initiative that I was referencing earlier in this thread on the Ford Stadium renovation project.  $1.5 billion for the entire initiative (largest ever by a Texas private institution) with roughly $670M already raised in the quiet phase. 

I've been told they've earmarked somewhere between $200-250M for Ford Stadium renovations as well as a football operations building that will take the place of the existing grass area behind the south end zone.  Suites will also extend to the east side of Ford to complete the horseshoe and widening of the concourse areas which IMO is the biggest issue right now.  

Edited by SMU2006
  • Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 2

On 9/16/2021 at 10:20 PM, bstnsportsfan3 said:

I didn't have a problem with ford but I think the concessions and lines were the worst I have ever seen in any stadium. I walked the whole stadium and each stand was 60-70 people deep it felt like and most stands ran out of food. 

At the end of half time the concession booth we waiting in line for 30 mins at was out of everything but hot dogs and soda when we got to the counter.  No nachos, no popcorn, no sausage on a stick.  At the same time we were waiting for lukewarm hot dogs, I assume the caviar and import beer was flowing like manna from the heavens on the home side.

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, meangreenbob said:

So, after checking out Apogee this past Saturday I would like to change my vote from Ford to Apogee. The sight lines are so much better at Apogee. The fans are right on top of the field as well. I choose Apogee.  

Honest question, that was your first visit to Apogee?

Edited by UNTLifer
Laugh at the people who down vote an honest question.
  • Downvote 2

I think a lot of Ford's design flaws simply stem from it being a 20 plus year old facility.  Improvements and renovations have been sparse in the subsequent years.  The concourse area and concessions issues have been a pain for years so getting this resolved will help a ton.  Also the additional indoor/outdoor suites on the east side of the stadium should be a really cool addition as well as the state of the art football ops building.

Ford has good bones and fits in great with the SMU campus.  Just needs a bit of modernization.