Can we afford to bring Graham Harrell back as Offensive Coordinator?

ADLER

And can we afford not to?

USC just fired their head coach Clay Helton only two games into the season.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/32204357/usc-trojans-fire-head-football-coach-clay-helton

Per the USC AD, a national search for Helton's replacement will take place over the next several months. Barring a miracle, the new coach will replace everyone on staff except Donte Williams who will serve as the interim head coach. 

North Texas is prepared to lose Graham Harrell to USC Trojans | Fort Worth  Star-Telegram

"We're on a mission for God. We're putting The Band back together!"

Edited by ADLER
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 2
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

I disagree with the thread title. In the intervening years since he left i changed my mind on him being ready. I think it is time to bring him in as an HC. But if that is not happening, then bringing him in as an OC is definitely a good investment, but there might be other bidders, so it could indeed be expensive.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 4

1 hour ago, NorthTexan95 said:

I wouldn't place a bet on that happening.  Baker has developed a pattern of hiring head coaches who previously have head coaching experience.  

And i don't mind that. But if you want to follow the MacCasland route in Football and get somebody on the up who has not already failed elsewhere, then you will have to pay a heapload of money on top of SLs buyout. if Baker can find a way to swing that, then by all means he should go for it.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, outoftown said:

And i don't mind that. But if you want to follow the MacCasland route in Football and get somebody on the up who has not already failed elsewhere, then you will have to pay a heapload of money on top of SLs buyout. if Baker can find a way to swing that, then by all means he should go for it.

NT is already doing that for Seth.   I imagine we'll continue to do the same.

And unless Littrell wants to continue torpedoing his career, he'll find a nice, high-paying OC job at a P5 somewhere (Ahem, MSSt), and his buyout becomes very minimal.

NT should be able to pay the next HC around $2mil again.   That should lure a nice coach here.   There's a reason people call NT a "Top G5 job".

• Upvote 3
  • Confused 1

I wouldn't necessarily be opposed to bringing Harrell back as HC. In hindsight, maybe he was a huge part of Littrell's success. I'm guessing he would have some influence in Texas...it's in his blood. 

However, there probably ARE better options out there, coaches with HC experience. We just need to make sure we look at all the options. 

One name that I think is intriguing is Jamey Chadwell at Coastal Carolina. I'm going to guess he's going to start getting looks from P5s. He's won pretty much everywhere he's been and turned programs around. And I think that "spread option" or "speed option" offense is fun to watch. It's not the typical triple option....it's fast and they threw for nearly as many yards as we did last year. He has a 81-52 HC record and he's currently making $850k. Could we give him a million dollar raise and get him here?

At least he's someone that should be looked at.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, NorthTexan95 said:

I wouldn't place a bet on that happening.  Baker has developed a pattern of hiring head coaches who previously have head coaching experience.  

This.

We need the Grant MacCasland of football coaches.

Edited by Hunter Green
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2

45 minutes ago, golfingomez said:

There is zero chance he comes to North Texas to be an OC. 

Well, not right now anyway...   NT's staff is full.   
It would be a very bad look if Littrell fired coach Joseph & demoted Bloesch to bring Harrell on, only for him to move to an OC job somewhere else next season.

Now, if we could possibly get him as an "analyst", and give him $25k, that's better than sitting around not doing anything for coach Harrell, keeps him sharp working with Littrell again, and he can leave for his next OC job anytime.    Big P5's do this kind of thing all the time.

EDIT:   I honestly expect Harrell to join MSSt. in that kind of Analyst role though.

Edited by MeanGreenTexan

2 hours ago, TheColonyEagle said:

I wouldn't necessarily be opposed to bringing Harrell back as HC. In hindsight, maybe he was a huge part of Littrell's success. I'm guessing he would have some influence in Texas...it's in his blood. 

However, there probably ARE better options out there, coaches with HC experience. We just need to make sure we look at all the options. 

One name that I think is intriguing is Jamey Chadwell at Coastal Carolina. I'm going to guess he's going to start getting looks from P5s. He's won pretty much everywhere he's been and turned programs around. And I think that "spread option" or "speed option" offense is fun to watch. It's not the typical triple option....it's fast and they threw for nearly as many yards as we did last year. He has a 81-52 HC record and he's currently making $850k. Could we give him a million dollar raise and get him here?

At least he's someone that should be looked at.

Why would Chadwell leave a Top 25 team for a Bottom 25 team? 

Hilton Head, SC or Denton, TX not even close. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 2

9 minutes ago, Hunter Green said:

This.

We need the Grant MacCasland of football coaches.

I would think Texas ties are important so off the top of my head...

I would've said Adam Dorrel, but he hasnt done that great at ACU

Colby Carthel isn't setting the world on fire at SFA

KC Keeler has won everywhere he's been. Dont think he's an up and comer... 

Couldnt find anyone in the Lone Star conference who would fit the bill 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

14 minutes ago, meanJewGreen said:

I would think Texas ties are important so off the top of my head...

I would've said Adam Dorrel, but he hasnt done that great at ACU

Colby Carthel isn't setting the world on fire at SFA

KC Keeler has won everywhere he's been. Dont think he's an up and comer... 

Couldnt find anyone in the Lone Star conference who would fit the bill 

I think Larry Fedora & Kevin Sumlin would do very well here.   
Both were extremely successful at their G5 stops before flailing at P5s.    If they can swallow their pride & return to a G5, they will likely do very well, and probably stay a very long time (a-la Skip Holtz).

• Upvote 3
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Both were extremely successful at their G5 stops before flailing at P5s.    If they can swallow their pride & return to a G5, they will likely do very well, and probably stay a very long time (a-la Skip Holtz).

Sumlin definitely should be considered 

• Skeptical Eagle 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Scott Frost when he is let go by Neb?

• Upvote 1