Should G5's Recruit HS QB?

El Paso Eagle

For the sake of this conversation please stay away from the Ruder v Aune debate

Looking around it seem more and more schools are using transfers at QB. With all of the changeover where players transfer out if the don't get playing time; I ask this -

Should we even recruit HS QB's? There is a good chance we will work with them for a year or two and then they could transfer. Are G5 programs heading to the point where we don't recruit HS QB?

• Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

I would say no. I believe you are always going to have quality P5 qb's always looking for a chance to start at the G5 level. Development and potential should be thrown out the window for a lot of high school positions.

Agree. Go after high ranked HS players and if we get them, great. If not, we could be on their radar down the road.

• Upvote 2

This is a fantastic question.

Since the new rule is that players can transfer once without sitting out,  why develop a stud HS QB only to see him transfer to a P5 ?     On the other hand, if a good P5 backup transfers and succeeds at the G5 level, they cannot transfer again without sitting out.    There are plenty of really good backup QB's at the P5 level.

It has worked really well for "that team from Dallas".

Edited by akriesman
  • Upvote 1

I think it really depends on the prospect.  Obviously the elite 4/5 star guys are almost exclusively going Power 5 so if you think about resource allocation and being realistic then a lot of G5's are just wasting their time going after these kids.

There are anomalies like Ed Oliver at UH or Preston Stone at SMU but they are the exception to the rule.  For instance with Stone he's been going to SMU football games since he could walk.  His dad is an SMU alum and his older brother is on the roster.  Without those unique circumstances he'd have gone to one of the 40 plus other P5's that offered him.  No quesiton.

2 hours ago, SMU2006 said:

I think it really depends on the prospect.  Obviously the elite 4/5 star guys are almost exclusively going Power 5 so if you think about resource allocation and being realistic then a lot of G5's are just wasting their time going after these kids.

There are anomalies like Ed Oliver at UH or Preston Stone at SMU but they are the exception to the rule.  For instance with Stone he's been going to SMU football games since he could walk.  His dad is an SMU alum and his older brother is on the roster.  Without those unique circumstances he'd have gone to one of the 40 plus other P5's that offered him.  No quesiton.

Do you think your Freshman QB (Stone) stays?

Edited by El Paso Eagle

Definitely think you still sign a QB per class out of high school.

The best way to have solid depth at the QB position is to have some grade separation between your starter and your backup. If there’s no grade separation then any quality backup will probably look to go somewhere else and try to start rather than backup the same guy the rest of their career. The best way to get grade separation is by having young QBs, like high school signees.

An ideal QB depth chart to me would be something like this:

- Senior starter

- sophomore second string

- true freshman second string

You start your senior, have a backup waiting in the wings to take over, and have a true freshman redshirting and ready to step into the backup QB role the next season when the current backup becomes the starter. And the true freshman can see their path to becoming a multi-year starter themselves.

Keep signing a high school QB so you always have a QB on your roster with some grade separation from the starter, then if you aren’t completely sold on that player when he’s up for the starting job then you get the best you can add in the portal. Or if someone really good becomes available in the portal otherwise go get him.

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

12 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Do you think your Freshman QB (Stone) stays?

I certainly hope so.  Sonny and the staff were very up front with him that he wasn't going to be given the job.  Mordecai is a junior so theoretically if Stone redshirts he can still be a multi-year starter at SMU.

I think Stone was maybe a series or two away from playing against UNT.  First possession of the second half was a 3 and out and Mordecai made some really bad decisions that resulted in turnovers.  Stone will play in four games this year and retain his redshirt.  Likely play a more significant role in 22 and then be the guy in 23 if he does stay.

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, SMU2006 said:

I certainly hope so.  Sonny and the staff were very up front with him that he wasn't going to be given the job.  Mordecai is a junior so theoretically if Stone redshirts he can still be a multi-year starter at SMU.

I think Stone was maybe a series or two away from playing against UNT.  First possession of the second half was a 3 and out and Mordecai made some really bad decisions that resulted in turnovers.  Stone will play in four games this year and retain his redshirt.  Likely play a more significant role in 22 and then be the guy in 23 if he does stay.

Mordecai has 3 years of eligibility left. Not sure he takes them all, but he does have 3 if he wants.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Mordecai has 3 years of eligibility left. Not sure he takes them all, but he does have 3 if he wants.

He does yes with the COVID year but I don't know what his plans are on that front.  I think the concern with Stone is that he was making the transition from TAPS to D1A and that it would be in his best interests to redshirt.  From what I saw in practices Mordecai clearly has the better arm but Stone is the better athlete.  Hopefully SMU is able to get Stone some meaningful PT this year.

• Upvote 1

I suggested this in a different thread.  In the transfer portal era, G5s should only be looking at high school recruits that can play/contribute as true freshman.  The investment of a redshirt year only to have them blow-up in their academic sophomore year and want to test other waters (or not play and look for greener pastures), is too high. 

• Upvote 1