Get a Grip

Just now, p_phelps said:

6th year in a program and we're taking moral victories after a 24 point loss. Seth is a bad head coach or best case he's average. 

Where am I saying this is a morale victory? All I’m saying is, y’all are overreacting way too much. You can’t always look at the negatives in everything, when we played significantly better than anyone thought.

If you’re a fake fan, just say so. I’m all about  bringing up the negativity in bad games, but really there wasn’t that much except for what I said.

• Upvote 8
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 7

Just now, Side.Show.Joe said:

SMU didn't open up their playbook in the first half. Once they did, our offense and defense didn't look nearly as good.

The issue isn't how UNT will look for the rest of this season. I'm sure we will compete just fine in C-USA. The issue is that the program should be much further along in Littrell's 6th year as head coach.

The fact that we made them open the playbook because it was 7-6 at halftime says something.

The fact we forced 4 turnovers against that offense says something. Not a morale victory, but a sign of massive improvement. You can run the most vanilla plays of all time, but when the Dline is disrupting that fast and often, it’s a sign of improvement 

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 5

17 minutes ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

The fact that we made them open the playbook because it was 7-6 at halftime says something.

The fact we forced 4 turnovers against that offense says something. Not a morale victory, but a sign of massive improvement. You can run the most vanilla plays of all time, but when the Dline is disrupting that fast and often, it’s a sign of improvement 

Yeah, and the defense also gave up scoring plays (not drives) of ....

62 yards

58 yards

29 yards

19 yards

& 85 yards

I don't call that massive improvement.

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 2

4 minutes ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

62 yards

58 yards

29 yards

19 yards

& 85 yards

When the offense goes 3 and out very fast, and gets them field position that’s ranging from the 35-45 in our territory doesn’t help.

Youre clearly oblivious to improvement because it was clear. When the opposing team wears you down, and the offense can’t convert on 3rd down, the bigger plays are gonna happen.

• Upvote 12
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 5

44 minutes ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

Suddenly, after a 24 point loss (lowest it’s been in a while) and a very competitive game until the 4th, the season is over????

None of these stats were garbage time yards. Ruder threw for 370 yards 1 TD and 2 picks. He’s been here for around 2 months, and if he wasn’t good, why did he take the starting job from Aune?

Because Aune is also not that good. Its an indictment on SL.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

11 minutes ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

62 yards

58 yards

29 yards

19 yards

& 85 yards

Giving up a big play can be singled down to one misstep, or a bad coaching decision.  If you're giving up 62 yards after five 3rd down conversions, you're looking at a lot more problems.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

12 minutes ago, outoftown said:

Because Aune is also not that good. Its an indictment on SL.

Well then we shouldn’t expect more from him. If he’s not good enough to start, then I don’t see why people want him in. His first pass missed Shorter by 10 feet 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

It’s a make or break year. SL is either going to earn an extension or be fired. And neither was going to be decided after game 2 of the season. So all the “Seth is a *****” folks might as well be yelling at a wall. Watching the game, our guys had more fight in them than I saw all last year. That’s extremely encouraging going into the first conference game. Defense showed they can hold their own. Offense *at times* flashed their potential. More consistent QB play will be needed, yes. The RB situation? Sheesh.. no idea what to make of that. But overall, I truly don’t have that sky is falling feeling… yet. 

Edited by MeanGreen22
  • Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

We’re 1-1. If the defense can keep competing and Ruder Can continue to improve, then UNT can compete in C-USA…maybe even a bowl. 

Mordecai was the biggest thorn, man. His mobility was a difference maker. He scrambled and kept plays alive when there should have been sacks. He consistently converted 3rd downs.  It wore down the defense and it showed up in the 4th.  Beat UAB. GMG!

Edited by Felozano
  • Upvote 3

37 minutes ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

Well then we shouldn’t expect more from him. If he’s not good enough to start, then I don’t see why people want him in. His first pass missed Shorter by 10 feet 

I think a very small delusional  group (5 people) want Aune to start. He’s been a career backup under SL for a reason. 

As a side note, I think the extension talk is ridiculous. Seth needs to win CUSA and his bowl game to get an extension. Anything less and he should be allowed to walk. 

Edited by Got5onIt
  • Upvote 6

2 hours ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

Where am I saying this is a morale victory? All I’m saying is, y’all are overreacting way too much. You can’t always look at the negatives in everything, when we played significantly better than anyone thought.

If you’re a fake fan, just say so. I’m all about  bringing up the negativity in bad games, but really there wasn’t that much except for what I said.

A lot of us are capsulating this game into the 6 year experiment that is Seth Littrell who has never been a HC and rode the coatails of Mason Fine and Graham Harrell for his first four years. Since then, he has been exposed as a stubborn coach (which most of them are) which will cost him his job. The hiring of Phil Bennett is too little,  too late. In the meantime, we are left out of any realignment possibilities because of his shortcomings as a HC. I hope I'm wrong, but the football program is not holding up its end of the bargain. All our other sports have won championships, except football.

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 1