Where's all the WR and TE talent

p_phelps

Burns had 12 catches, shorter had 6, piriltle had 5 ( get to that in second) the rest is RBs catching.  We have 2 wr and 1 TE do everything in the passing game. And while I like piriltle and all, there's no reason he should be starting over the younger, much more athletic TEs.  Especially when it was clear we needed some sort of spark. Another SL failure in my opinion.  We need to him to get this right!!

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

I don’t understand the route running on third down. Why not go to the first down marker when running the route?

Shorter ran a drag route for 1 yard when we needed 3. Not to bag on Shorter, he’s a freak of nature, I just don’t understand why he didn’t hit the first down line and then drag across 

Edited by Withers940
Spelling
  • Upvote 6

26 minutes ago, Withers940 said:

I don’t understand the route running on third down. Why not go to the first down marker when running the route?

Shorter ran a drag route for 1 yard when we needed 3. Not to bag on Shorter, he’s a freak of nature, I just don’t understand why he didn’t hit the first down line and then drag across 

Shorter is a freak of nature? Why? What’s he ever done?

• Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, p_phelps said:

Burns had 12 catches, shorter had 6, piriltle had 5 ( get to that in second) the rest is RBs catching.  We have 2 wr and 1 TE do everything in the passing game. And while I like piriltle and all, there's no reason he should be starting over the younger, much more athletic TEs.  Especially when it was clear we needed some sort of spark. Another SL failure in my opinion.  We need to him to get this right!!

You answered your own question about Pirtle. 5 receptions.  The best player should play not the one with the most potential. 

There is obviously a value to experience and Pirtle has plenty. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

You answered your own question about Pirtle. 5 receptions.  The best player should play not the one with the most potential. 

There is obviously a value to experience and Pirtle has plenty. 

How do we know if we never see any of the others 

I guess this could just as well be a comment in the "short yardage situation" thread, but since we've recruited and are playing tight ends now, it seems like there should be some pass plays designed for tight ends in just those situations, which I would hope could provide some alternative to the "run it up the middle on 4th and 1" strategy which has been seen by us and all our opponents enough times to see how that works. 

Methinks we’re all trying to rush the youth development still only into the 2’nd game of the 2021 season.  
There’s still what many to believe (even from recruiting services) to be some good young talent at UNT.  Didn’t 247 rank our last recruiting class as #1 in CUSA? 

••• Forget SMU—this 2021 UNT football team is still going to be fun to watch as it develops.  Less injuries to key offensive performers would be nice.

🤮 I’m sick about last night, too, but knowing SMU did much better in the portal than we did the last several recruiting seasons proved to me it was predictable to happen & it sure did.  (Yet after all, wasn’t it SMU who perfected the method of recruiting almost 3 years ago that took them from a good old fashioned  slobber’knockin at Apogee in 2018 to last night? Chock one up for the Stangs.

Some think Sonny Dykes is on a mission to better his resume so he can get a bigger, better job at a Power 5 school.  Such a school  that draws the total capacity of Ford Stadium in their end zone seating alone.  Dykes is also smart enough to know SMU is not going to meet P5 criteria in his lifetime.  

❇️🦅❇️  

(And Gray Eagle, I agree with your post in another thread the other day saying we do need to have a 40,000 seat Apogee Stadium to do what is do-able at a school like North Texas). 

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Our walk on receivers (Burns, Pirtle) are out performing our highly recruited receivers and tight ends. 
I know not all recruits live up to expectations but so far 3-4 years worth of highly ranked receivers and tight ends aren’t making plays on the field. 
Is something going wrong with their development???

• Upvote 2

The receivers route running and hands are not what I expected, but to be fair, Jace threw some horrible balls and he has been. His accuracy has me concerned. That pass that Pirtle dropped that should have resulted in a TD. Granted a great hands guy would have probably caught that, but Jace made it extremely hard to catch because it was too high. The 4th and one that we missed when he threw it behind the receiver. There were too many times when his passes forced the receivers to have to slow down or come back just to try and make a catch. I want Jace to be good, but he has to give the receivers a better chance at catching the football.

• Upvote 2