Jump to content
  • Welcome to GoMeanGreen.com!

    Thank you for visiting us!  Registering is easy and free, and provides you with the ability to participate in the discussions along with many cool features and content.

Disgusted by the SMU Gameday experience.


Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, WanderingEagle said:

I thought I would enjoy tonight's game as long as UNT stayed competitive. Unfortunately, football was the last thing I could focus on.

 

Parking sucked. No signs to direct where to park after 5 pm.

Had to park 20 mins away from GFS and stand in a line for 35 mins to get in at Gate 6.

The guy sitting next to me chanted cee-UNT in the second quarter while it was 3-0. Okay.

Same fan called our players "P***y boy" when they would go down with injuries.

His friend banged on the benches every time SMU was on defense, causing the kid (prob 3-4 years old) behind me to cry and scream half the game.

Worst of all, and I do not say this lightly, I was subjected to four drunk SMU assholes at the front of my section harassing our cheerleaders. Cat calling and doing jerk off motions, reprehensible behavior. There were kids and families from both teams sitting around me and they were never told to stop, so they didn't. 

I tried really hard not to swear and I will refrain from doing so but I am livid. The worst sporting game experience I have ever had. I do not intend to paint a broad brush stroke on SMU fans with this post but I am absolutely appalled with what I saw tonight. I do not take the gameday and fan experience at Apogee for granted. 

Naw, you mean from this Christian school? 

  • Upvote 5
  • Haha 2
  • Downvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, WanderingEagle said:

I thought I would enjoy tonight's game as long as UNT stayed competitive. Unfortunately, football was the last thing I could focus on.

 

Parking sucked. No signs to direct where to park after 5 pm.

Had to park 20 mins away from GFS and stand in a line for 35 mins to get in at Gate 6.

The guy sitting next to me chanted cee-UNT in the second quarter while it was 3-0. Okay.

Same fan called our players "P***y boy" when they would go down with injuries.

His friend banged on the benches every time SMU was on defense, causing the kid (prob 3-4 years old) behind me to cry and scream half the game.

Worst of all, and I do not say this lightly, I was subjected to four drunk SMU assholes at the front of my section harassing our cheerleaders. Cat calling and doing jerk off motions, reprehensible behavior. There were kids and families from both teams sitting around me and they were never told to stop, so they didn't. 

I tried really hard not to swear and I will refrain from doing so but I am livid. The worst sporting game experience I have ever had. I do not intend to paint a broad brush stroke on SMU fans with this post but I am absolutely appalled with what I saw tonight. I do not take the gameday and fan experience at Apogee for granted. 

Parking is a mess.  I always take the train instead.  There is a free shuttle between Mockingbird station and the stadium.  Air conditioning and plush seats.  We didn’t have to wait on the shuttle to or from the stadium as well.  Walked right on both ways.  
 

The pre game event the Alumni Association put on was great as well.  The shuttle stopped there as well.  
 

I had the same experience with some of the SMU fans as well.  I don’t mind folks cheering for their team, but several groups were outright taunting UNT fans.  If you were in section 121, we may be talking about some of the same people.  

  • Upvote 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So back in the day when Nelson and Dickey were coaching I occasionally traveled with the team. My sideline experiences were the same as Wandering Eagles. I don't consider myself a prude but the verbiage thrown out by the home teams students towards our coaches, players, cheer team was just nasty, with the worst being from female students at Arkansas State. However at ULL, Booger just loved it. He stood on a bench and gave as much as he got and had a ball doing it.

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was standing on the top row. At one point early in the 1Q, there appeared to be more people at the two gates I could see trying to get in than people in the stadium. I will say it was fun watching Biff and Babs (not sure if that was their real names) trying to negotiate their way into the stadium after waiting in one of those long lines because Babs purse wasn’t clear. That was near the end of the 1Q.

The most enjoyable moment in the game was in the 4Q, when we recovered a fumble and there was absolutely NO celebration. Simply because it wasn’t warranted, and the defense knew it.

To the point of this thread, a win on the field sure would have made all you describe, WE, better. This was one of those games I never felt we would win. Not a minute. It started with Bush going down (I’m assuming out for the year) and not being able to TD off his sacrifice. 

Acknowledging I don’t know enough about the game to assess talent, I have the Aune chip on my shoulder. He may not be the answer but his experience would have helped last night. It took him 8 games to throw 4 interceptions last year, and at least twice the passes. Of course, he got all his yards after the game was lost (like the 276 yards in 13 completions against $MU last year?). 

JR got his numbers last night, indeed. You do that when you have to gain the same yards, or more, over and over again after penalties take them away. But 1 yard was undoable, early and often.

I’ll stop the ramble here. I have a BBQ tailgate to prepare for.

 

GMG

 

Edited by untcampbell
  • Upvote 1
  • Confused 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Total lack of class by the SMU fans, middle fingers shown to UNT fans after every play, taunting injured players, I even witnessed a few of them $hit talking to an elderly fan on a mobility scooter.  Many of these fans appeared much older then student aged.  However this behavior is nothing new for them, and their reputation is widely known in college sports.

  • Upvote 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sorry you had a bad experience. Ours was alright. Late lunch around 4 at Mockingbird Station, walked over, walked the stadium, sat in 217 away from all the riff raff, cheered on the Green Guys, walked back to Mockingbird Station.   I would have really liked to come out with the win…or at least a closer finish. Oh, well. Next year.  GMG!

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is why I don't go to games at their stadium. My wife doesn't understand why I am seconds away from getting in a fight with one of their douchebag fans in the two experiences she's had in their stadium. I don't let that shit slide and I know if they get confronted they will fold like the cowards they are. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Forgot to mention this. I left my oakleys at our tailgate (good to meet some of y'all btw) and when I came back we had 2 tables flipped and my oakleys smashed. My fault for leaving them out, but those douchebag students are the worst. Disgusting behavior during the game, trying to pick fights with us and cursing at me constantly with little kids next to me.

And they say "it isn't a rivalry"

  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

Forgot to mention this. I left my oakleys at our tailgate (good to meet some of y'all btw) and when I came back we had 2 tables flipped and my oakleys smashed. My fault for leaving them out, but those douchebag students are the worst. Disgusting behavior during the game, trying to pick fights with us and cursing at me constantly with little kids next to me.

And they say "it isn't a rivalry"

I assure you, our douchebags will be equally douchey to any fans. Nothing special about UNT other than you are close enough to show up.

We had a couple real UNT winners near us. There's a few from every school.

  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 14
Link to comment
Share on other sites

As I said above, not impressed with some of the SMU fans near me, but as I read through this thread, I wonder what the visitor experience is like at Apogee on the student side.  Not trying to have a get of my lawn moment, but I wonder how much of this is just part of college football.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, DentonStang said:

I assure you, our douchebags will be equally douchey to any fans. Nothing special about UNT other than you are close enough to show up.

We had a couple real UNT winners near us. There's a few from every school. 

 

With regard to SMU fans last night specifically, our experience was not awful, for whatever that’s worth, but we sat in the upper bowl with families and students sitting with their parents. 

Edited by Mean Green Matt
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Mean Green Matt said:

 

With regard to SMU fans last night specifically, our experience was not awful, for whatever that’s worth, but we sat in the upper bowl with families and students sitting with their parents. 

I may try the 200’s next year.  Last time I sat up there, I don’t remember having issues. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, MeanGreen22 said:

Also: the official account retweeting something like this is straight trash behavior. Definitely have some 20 year old fraternity kid running the account

739E041F-8392-46C9-A74F-F4729F3DAB2A.jpeg

This annoys me but I don't really care. From a football perspective I'm hardly upset after last night compared to how pissed I am from the behavior of the clowns in the front row of my section. 

 

I even tweeted about what I saw and I have multiple SMU fans in my mentions saying stuff like "Save some girls for the rest of us". It's absolutely disgusting. SMU can win 100 games against us for all I care. It's not about football. I don't want to see cheerleaders getting cat called and air humped at SMU, North Texas, or any school. Those are 18-22 year old boys and girls passionately supporting their school and they do a damn good job of it. Nobody deserves to be sexually harassed, least of all by 40 year old drunk bozos at a damn football game. It's embarrassing and I'm ashamed that those 4 individuals may return to GFS and continue that behavior. 

 

Anyway.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, MeanGreen22 said:

Not a gameday experience but it is the official SMU football Twitter account. For a school that insists “it isn’t a rivalry” they sure think of us a lot 

 

 

 

5 hours ago, Felozano said:

Sorry you had a bad experience. Ours was alright. Late lunch around 4 at Mockingbird Station, walked over, walked the stadium, sat in 217 away from all the riff raff, cheered on the Green Guys, walked back to Mockingbird Station.   I would have really liked to come out with the win…or at least a closer finish. Oh, well. Next year.  GMG!

 

5 hours ago, All About UNT said:

This is why I don't go to games at their stadium. My wife doesn't understand why I am seconds away from getting in a fight with one of their douchebag fans in the two experiences she's had in their stadium. I don't let that shit slide and I know if they get confronted they will fold like the cowards they are. 

Why did we extend this series? Our fans are abused. to our students and players it is just another non-conference game . We are nearly always non-competitive. If you know you will get your ass kicked why not at least get a good $$ guarantee for it. this is no rivalry but most times it is a horrible slaughter. Lost respect for our AD to extend this series and put the fans and alumni through such a miserable experience year after year when it does nothing but embarrass our program.

  • Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Please review our full Privacy Policy before using our site.