Other Quarterbacks?

eulessismore

20 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Everybody has been saying all offseason, "Pick one QB and stick with him."  For now, I think that's what we need to do.

Agree. Let the one run full first team. Aune didn't shine out there against the scrubs. They both have some accuracy issues that need worked out. I really wished we had a more clear direction with the QB, but we don't. 

If Torrey is out awhile, we are screwed. The next two in line aren't showing much yet. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Everybody has been saying all offseason, "Pick one QB and stick with him."  For now, I think that's what we need to do.

We've stuck with one qb for two weeks and it's not good.  Seth can't wait too long or he'll lose the team - literally and figuratively.  

Edited by NorthTexan95
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 7

Aune hit tight windows that Ruder didn't dare throw into both in week 1 and week 2. Give him a shot Seth, you ****ing coward.

Edit: More thoughts

Why the hell else would you bring in a pitcher if you didn't want a QB that could gun it into the tight coverages. Ruder literally will not throw into crowded coverage and would rather just float the damn ball to either overthrow it or get it picked.

Thoughts after down thumb:

I'm right and you know it.

Edited by peanuts104
  • Upvote 4
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 11

Ruder has spent like 5 weeks practicing with this offense. Some things just take time to mesh. A lot of his lobs seemed like misunderstanding exactly where the receivers would be. I’m sure it will work itself out and he grows into the offense, but it’s mighty disappointing right now.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

14 minutes ago, Hunter Green said:

Seth will never do it. He'll stick with Ruder until it costs him his job.

His job is already on the line. It's hail mary time for him so you stick with the plan and hope it works.

Lets all be honest, this season is a write-off for most of us. Aune isn't going to step in and magically take us bowling. Its a development year. Both are passable QBs but you gotta pick one to be the future of this team for the next 2 years after. Get him the reps, the experience, and pray he wins the teams over. 

• Upvote 1

Ruder had a decent stat line. He had some ducks.. some off targets.. but if you manage to put up 366 yards, there should be more points on the board. I feel it's all on the coach at this point. Ruder can get the job done, needs some experience and some coaching... He's got the poise. He just doesn't have the coach.

Aune has been in this system and hasn't risen to the occasion when he has had the opportunity. He hasn't had the coach either.. it's a hard situation with no obvious correct answer.

But if I were just a commentator from the outside, I'd think Ruder played well enough to keep his job and he has room for improvement that is within reach.

• Upvote 1

I posted on the Walk On thread awhile back about my son transferring to UNT this fall.  He is a former scholarship QB for a D2 national champ, complete coaching change sophmore year and decided to go to a D3 and realized it was not a fit for him.  He spoke with the staff about walking on (for any position), but was told with the extra year eligibility, there was not room for any additional players this season and to try in the spring.  He quickly went about finding guys who are looking to walk on in the spring too and made a practice schedule and practicing 4 to 5 times a week.  I know this is not really relevant to the post, just thought I would put it out there 🙂

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Yeah, I wanna get halfway through the conference or more before pulling a QB. Gotta stick with a guy and see. The coaches have seen these guys in a lot more reps than we have, particularly the guys that have been in the building for years. 

But if we’re in the last few games of a losing season, I don’t think we have the answer sitting on the bench. Have to face it that if you’ve got guys on year 3-5 and they’re not getting it done, they probably aren’t going to get there. 

Aune, Ruder, and Martin are all in year 4. I don’t really care about the eligibility they have remaining if they aren’t getting it done now. 

So, in my mind, it’s like this:

Ruder - coaches clearly think he’s the best we have. I’m inclined to believe them or he wouldn’t have been able to take over coming in when he did and hardly playing in his previous stop. I give him a little leeway for rust and hope real game time and more practice as the #1 get him there. 

Aune - I can kinda forgive the lack of accuracy last year given the craziness of 2020, losing the QB coach, etc. But he’s been here since 2018, so if he’s not a clear #1 at this point, I’m fine moving on. 

Martin - look, everybody loves this kid, but he’s also been here since 2018, and if he’s not better than the above 2, again, it ain’t gonna happen. I could see Littrell going with him if he’s desperate and has the death-knell vote of confidence after a bad streak or something, but at that point, why not play a (the) freshman and try to sell “potential”

Bryce Drummond - not everybody from small-town Oklahoma is Mason Fine. This kid passes the Mac height test, at least, but certainly would be better off with a year of sitting. The problem is, if he sits a year and Ruder is half-decent, I think he moves on.

So, despite their classifications, I think our QB room is kinda a mess from a timing/development standpoint. We have to hope that Ruder or Drummond is the answer, IMO. 

If not, we’re gonna be scouring the transfer portal next year.

TLDR: Gotta stick with Ruder. If we suck and he’s a big reason why, we probably have to go to our 4th QB if we’re trying to get anything out of it. 

• Upvote 1