Anyone still think the O is elite?

97and03

1 minute ago, 97and03 said:

Short yardage and red zone play calling were horrible. Only good calls I remember in those situations were the shuffle pass on the two point that failed (good call, bad block) and the pitch out to Ragsdale on 3rd & 3 or so but he didn’t lower his shoulder to get the first. Everything else was pedestrian and predictable. 

While it didn't work out, I also thought the shuffle pass was a good call there. 

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

Short yardage and red zone play calling were horrible. Only good calls I remember in those situations were the shuffle pass on the two point that failed (good call, bad block) and the pitch out to Ragsdale on 3rd & 3 or so but he didn’t lower his shoulder to get the first. Everything else was pedestrian and predictable. 

How dare you...Bloesch is the 2nd coming of GH

1 minute ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

"Elite" is a strong word--did someone call them that?--but outside of some issues with the center, the O-line was not the main problem tonight.

agree the OL seemed ok, except for some errant snaps, Ruder had time, he just does not have the velocity or at least chose not to use it tonight, every thing floated and SMU figured it out. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

The oline was elite last year? They were certainly improved, but definitely not elite. Anyone that remembers the 2019 and previous seasons should understand the steps that the line has made. All that said:

The playcaller was biased and thought that running it up the middle would work. It did not. It was predicatable and our line, while it held their own against the dline (which is a huge improvement), they cannot, at this point, consistently clear space for runners. 

We did not lose this game because of the oline at all. In my opinion, we lost because of Ruder and play calling.

Edited by peanuts104
  • Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

Just now, NorthTexasWeLove said:

The offense hasn't been serviceable in meaningful minutes since Graham Harrell. That's common information. 

Wrong dumbass. We scored buttloads of points last year on this offense.  I agree Graham Harrell elevated it in a major way but the offense has been serviceable. If we had half the defense on the field we had today all last year we would be 8-4 last year.

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 2
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 5

1 minute ago, peanuts104 said:

Wrong dumbass. We scored buttloads of points last year on this offense.  I agree Graham Harrell elevated it in a major way but the offense has been serviceable. If we had half the defense on the field we had today all last year we would be 8-4 last year.

Somebody's been sippin'. Don't let me stand in your way. 

Last year was a case of garbage yards + garbage points in garbage late 3rd quarter/4th quarter minutes. 

They may have been serviceable, but that's the optimistic me. Reality me, they score points in premium minutes vs dog water teams. They do their scoring and yard scalping vs average or better teams in trash, game in the bag minutes. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Somebody's been sippin'. Don't let me stand in your way. 

Last year was a case of garbage yards + garbage points in garbage late 3rd quarter/4th quarter minutes. 

They may have been serviceable, but that's the optimistic me. Reality me, they score points in premium minutes vs dog water teams. They do their scoring and yard scalping vs average or better teams in trash, game in the bag minutes. 

Wrong

• Downvote 3

7 hours ago, peanuts104 said:

Wrong

But we had three games last year where we scored all of 7 points in the first half. One game we scored 10 and one game 14. We were out of those games at the half. That's 5 out of 10 games which was half our games last year.

The second half of our 7 point games, we scored 28, 14 and 10. We had the lead at the half in one game last year. And were down by double digits at the half in every other game but one.

Don't you think that would lead to pressing more on offense in the 2nd half and thus pumping up the numbers? And yes, our defense was really bad last year but our offense wasn't good in the first half of games last year and only got going after being down double digits when the game was virtually over.

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1