DRC: UNT officials reiterate school prepared should realignment opportunities arise

Brett Vito

3 hours ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

I know how @Salsa_Verdefeels about UNT going to the Mountain West🤣

But I have strong faith that Wren and Neal do what’s best. 2024 can’t come fast enough 

I continue to be Mountain West pilled 

1 hour ago, Salsa_Verde said:

I tried to google her bio and it proved somewhat difficult to find. She deserves criticism, I can’t think of any accomplishments during her tenure as commissioner. 

C96FEBCC-0215-4151-AD6F-5959778B9F67.jpeg

As I recall, she had no qualifications for the job.  I believe most of us were baffled by the hire because we couldn't figure out what accomplishments she had that made her the best candidate.

• Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, Rudy said:

As I recall, she had no qualifications for the job.  I believe most of us were baffled by the hire because we couldn't figure out what accomplishments she had that made her the best candidate.

Who else applied? She could have been the best available.

And, the Commissioner is generally hated by the fans of almost every conference. Commissioners don't work for the fans, they follow the instructions of the Presidents. As soon as the Presidents aren't happy, they are gone. 

• Upvote 3

We have connections to both the MWC and AAC. If they look at football only we're screwed. If they look at the whole Athletic Program we've got a shot.

Judy is a mess.....but I can't see going back to the SBC.........(reserve the right to change my mind after this season though).

• Upvote 2

I hope Wren can work some magic. But what the AAC commissioner saw last night was a UNT team that simply can't match up with a mid tier AAC team. (Mordecai didn't look good in the first half.) Even so, they're so much faster, stronger, better coached. When AAC officials get up this morning and look at the score: "UNT was 3TD underdogs...…..and got beat by 3TDs" Meh.

They don't really care how our D played in the first half. Our football team is simply not good enough to be in any conference but CUSA. And we have a PRETTY good sample size from Seth Littrell now in his 6th season. 

He now has a 26% win percentage against FBS teams with a winning record (8-23) and has gotten beaten by an average of 2 TDS PER GAME in 5+ seasons.

If we're stuck in CUSA it won't be about Wren Baker, it will be about Seth Littrell. However.....baring any miraculous turn around this season.......at the end of this season, it WILL be about Wren Baker, he's going to have to make a decision on our head coach.

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

9 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

I hope Wren can work some magic. But what the AAC commissioner saw last night was a UNT team that simply can't match up with a mid tier AAC team. (Mordecai didn't look good in the first half.) Even so, they're so much faster, stronger, better coached. When AAC officials get up this morning and look at the score: "UNT was 3TD underdogs...…..and got beat by 3TDs" Meh.

They don't really care how our D played in the first half. Our football team is simply not good enough to be in any conference but CUSA. And we have a PRETTY good sample size from Seth Littrell now in his 6th season. 

He now has a 26% win percentage against FBS teams with a winning record (8-23) and has gotten beaten by an average of 2 TDS PER GAME in 5+ seasons.

If we're stuck in CUSA it won't be about Wren Baker, it will be about Seth Littrell. However.....baring any miraculous turn around this season.......at the end of this season, it WILL be about Wren Baker, he's going to have to make a decision on our head coach.

This is all about money. If Wren can find it, SL’s giant buyout ($2.6 million) is no longer an issue. If he can’t, then next year will be the hottest seat here since Dodge’s last season here…

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

This is all about money. If Wren can find it, SL’s giant buyout ($2.6 million) is no longer an issue. If he can’t, then next year will be the hottest seat here since Dodge’s last season here…

This year has to be make or break for S/L.  The tough schedule, any injuries, inexperienced players, learning curve, or whatever the excuse is, it doesn't matter at this point.  SL dug himself this hole by not growing as a coach.  He is making some of the same bad decisions as his first year.  Win, or next man up.  Now we have a coordinator with HC experience if we need an interim HC.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RBP79 said:

We have connections to both the MWC and AAC. If they look at football only we're screwed. If they look at the whole Athletic Program we've got a shot.

Judy is a mess.....but I can't see going back to the SBC.........(reserve the right to change my mind after this season though).

The Big 12 commissioner said that they evaluated applicants with 75% emphasis on football, 25 % on basketball , with population being tie breaker. On a scale of 1 to 100 that puts us at a score of 25 and unless the AAC or MWC  is grading on an Alpine Mountain curve leaves us SOL. As someone pointed out, we bring nothing more to the table than SMU, and if truth be told we bring a lot less.

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 2

34 minutes ago, wardly said:

The Big 12 commissioner said that they evaluated applicants with 75% emphasis on football, 25 % on basketball , with population being tie breaker. On a scale of 1 to 100 that puts us at a score of 25 and unless the AAC or MWC  is grading on an Alpine Mountain curve leaves us SOL. As someone pointed out, we bring nothing more to the table than SMU, and if truth be told we bring a lot less.

Ouch. The truth hurts. 

Unless the MWC wants to make a play for Texas schools, I don't see us going anywhere. I think the realistic and pragmatic play is to gain as much influence and power as possible inside CUSA, and remake it from within. First, get rid of Judy and bring in proven leadership to help consolidate the league footprint. Marshall and ODU are working their way out so let them leave - as well as a few other schools from CUSA East. Grab three regional teams from SBC and you can create a 12 team league with a tight geographic footprint. I think it's wise and works in our favor that UNT Prez Neal Smatresk recently became the new Board Chair of CUSA. 

C-USA West

UNT

UTSA

Rice

UTEP

Texas State

Arkansas State

C-USA East

Western Kentucky

Southern Miss

Middle Tennessee

UAB

Louisiana Tech

Louisiana Lafayette

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, wardly said:

This is difficult to accept as a fan but I think you speak the truth.  

• Upvote 2